Mr. Mike's

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Mr. Mike's

Post by Phoenix Within »

Anyone remember this place?

I was shocked to find out that Kamloops still has one! I saw at least one more in a newer resurrected state down on the coast, but the one in 'Loops looks like one of the original older ones.

Ate there today for the first time in 20 years.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Tootsie
Board Meister

Re: Mr. Mike's

Post by Tootsie »

There is a new Mr.Mike's in the West Edmonton Mall. Way more upscale than what I remember of the old Mr.Mike's . Pretty decent food too.
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

There is one in Dawson Creek.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I always wondered about the absence of the word "beef" in those restaurants. :200:
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

Cranbrook has one of the newer ones, and I've seen one in Calgary as well.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Here's their website http://www.mrmikes.ca/flash.html

It's been years I would go to either the Vernon & Salmon Arm locations. It was a very small step up from Bonanza.
Zippylady

Post by Zippylady »

The son of the Kamloops restaurant owners lives here in Vernon. He was telling us about that chain one day not to long ago. I think he said the Kamloops one is the last of the original style Mr. Mike's. Apparently bad management caused the chain to upscale leaving many of the restaurants to fail such as the one in Vernon. And has been pointed out, some of the upscale versions survived.

I intend to eat at the Kamloops one, next time I am up there but I seldom go there so it could be awhile. :-)
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Zippylady wrote:I think he said the Kamloops one is the last of the original style Mr. Mike's.

That it is! The old faded awning on the side of the mall gave that away! To be honest, I never would have noticed if it wasn't for the sign by the roadway.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

We have fond memories of the Vernon Mr. Mikes, located where there is a Dive shop now. Many Saturdays for an inexpensive meal, introducing us to the fully loaded baked potatoes, and a salad bar (what a concept).....

The salad bar gave an odd spinoff for us. The salad dressing was supplied to them in large buckets, you see all sorts of things being shipped in buckets like that from paint to plaster to soaps to food stuffs. We had become quite friendly with the owners of the place, and would often get the buckets from them to use in the garden, which they were glad to give away rather than always throwing them out. To this day it's a family "nick name" for such a style of bucket as "Mr. Mikes Pails" and we even confused my uncle when we asked him to bring that "Mr. Mikes Pail" over.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ooh! I remember them . . . used to be a big deal and a treat to go there when I was a kid :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Phoenix Within wrote:
Zippylady wrote:I think he said the Kamloops one is the last of the original style Mr. Mike's.

That it is! The old faded awning on the side of the mall gave that away! To be honest, I never would have noticed if it wasn't for the sign by the roadway.

Is that the Mr Mike's on Fortune Drive/Tranquille area over on the North Shore? I used to live over there - in the Hood.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Glacier wrote:Is that the Mr Mike's on Fortune Drive/Tranquille area over on the North Shore? I used to live over there - in the Hood.

I'm not real familiar with the Kamloops area (wife was doing the driving) but yea, it's across the bridge on the North Shore. Tucked in kind of a strip mall..
KingCreole
Board Meister

Post by KingCreole »

My family part-owned the one that used to be on Johnston road in Whiterock back in the 70's. It's a barber shop+BBQ shop now :).
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

Glacier wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:

Is that the Mr Mike's on Fortune Drive/Tranquille area over on the North Shore? I used to live over there - in the Hood.

That would sound about the right location.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I remember Mr. Mikes when it was on Bernard Ave., well before it moved to Lawrence Ave.

yummmm, I too am shocked they still exist, anywhere.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”