Do you know what you are eating?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Do you know what you are eating?

Post by coffeeFreak »

Ash_W wrote:As well, it doesn't matter if you buy ORGANIC since majority of it is flown in.

You want to eat LOCAL

duh

Where are your sources regarding your statement about organic food? Until you show us something to back it up it is only YOUR opinion.

And why the attitude? It really isn't necessary you know.
Ash_W

Post by Ash_W »

If you look into it, the US organic market is dominated by huge food processing corporations. General Mills, M&M Mars etc.

They own these organic brands.
I'm the motherflippin'
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Glacier wrote:Or better yet, do both. I buy grass-fed ORGANIC beef from a farm less than 25 km from my house....

How do you know those cows weren't flown in from Asia? I recall learning as a child about the cow that jumped over the moon.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't think there is such a thing as "organic food" - unless it was grown in tightly controlled greenhouses with air and water purification systems.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Seven Food Products Banned in Europe Still Available in the U.S.

1. Genetically Modified Foods
"The problem with GM foods is that there is simply not sufficient research and understanding to inform good public policy."

2. Stevia, the Natural Sweetener
Meh.

3. Bovine Growth Hormone
It should be pointed out that the only reason rBGH is banned in Canada is because it is bad for cows.

4. Chlorinated Chickens
This bugs me. I bought chicken at a certain grocery store three times earlier this year that tasted so strongly of bleach, I will never by chicken there again. The one was so disgusting, I almost through up.

5. Food Contact Chemicals
"Both the U.S. and Europe stringently regulate food contact use of chemicals. However, the standard of approval is different. In Europe, the precautionary principle requires that the suppliers of chemicals prove their additives safe, or they will be banned."

6. Herbicides, Fungicides and Insecticides
" The E.U. has acted against the worst pesticides, typically found as residuals in the food chain."

7. Planned Ban: Food Dyes
"Many food dyes previously recognized as safe are suspected of contributing to attention deficit disorder. Action is afoot as the UK evaluates a ban on synthetic food colors."

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/947 ... -available
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Your oven shouldn't take 1/2 hour to preheat, should be more like five or ten minutes, tops. As for cooling off, I just leave the oven door ajar, voila, secondhand heat for the house.

Oops, this was in response to a much earlier post in this thread, lol, I didn't notice AND I didn't quote. *sigh* It's going to be one of those Monday mornings, I can tell.

Great thread, Glacier.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We are eating fresh butter lettuce from our gardens lately. Melt in the mouth soft and not about to be recalled by the FDA for E.coli. Same with our Cilantro. And leeks, they stayed well in the raised bed all Winter. Got fresh parsely coming up too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There was a coupon in the mail the other day inviting me to enjoy an A&W Supreme Sirloin burger. Out of curiosity I went to their website and looked up the nutritional information on it. It would fit quite well into my current dietary guidelines as long as I took about a week to eat it and didn't have anything else.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Does it come with tomatoes and lettuce?

We find ourselves wanting one lately because we love onion rings.

SOO, order a cheaper burger, order onion rings, bring it all home, cut mozza and throw it on, load in a few o. rings and here's the twist, add your own lettuce and tomatoe. Heh heh.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

An interesting article. ... Pesticides may contribute to ADHD in kids

The researchers found that the children with higher pesticide levels in their urine were more likely to have ADHD.

In particular, those with higher levels of one pesticide called dimethyl alkylphosphate (DMAP) were more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD.

For the most frequent compound detected, 20 per cent of the children with above-average levels had ADHD. In children with no detectable amount in their urine, 10 per cent had ADHD.

According to the authors, high doses of organophosphates may inhibit acetylcholinesterase, a nervous system enzyme. Even lower doses of the pesticide might affect different growth factors and neurotransmitters.

"These findings support the hypothesis that organophosphate exposure, at levels common among U.S. children, may contribute to ADHD prevalence," the authors wrote in the journal Pediatrics.

The researchers say they couldn't prove that pesticides caused ADHD. In fact, they suggested it's possible it might even be the other way round: that that the behavior of ADHD children increased their exposure to pesticides.

"Future studies should use a prospective design, with multiple urine samples collected over time, for better assessment of chronic exposure and critical windows of exposure, and should establish appropriate temporality," the wrote.

It's not clear how pesticides might affect children, but it's known that organophosphates interfere with the metabolism of acetylcholine, a key brain chemical in cognition.

Organophosphates were originally developed as nerve gases for warfare. Because they are neurotoxic, they are effective at killing pests, but worries have long remained about how they affect humans, especially the developing brains of small children.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If pesticides didn't contribute to something, would that not be more shocking?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:Does it come with tomatoes and lettuce?

We find ourselves wanting one lately because we love onion rings.

SOO, order a cheaper burger, order onion rings, bring it all home, cut mozza and throw it on, load in a few o. rings and here's the twist, add your own lettuce and tomatoe. Heh heh.

I recently took part in a tour of a local branch of one of the big grocery chains that was guided by a certified dietician. She said a good rule of thumb is that anything containing more than 350 milligrams of salt per serving is best left on the shelf. The supreme sirloin burger....1800 milligrams.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

You did say it would last about a week. Sounds like good value for the money.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Frozen Nibs

Post by Frozen Nibs »

I always look at the label of foods I buy... unfortunately, it takes too much time to try and assess what is good and not. I think the best is the 100mile diet consisting of items only available within this distance.
Tomatoes from mexico for example, are picked green and gased to produce their vibrant red colour. I try to avoid buying canned and anything grown in mexico if I am able to.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Frozen Nibs wrote:I always look at the label of foods I buy... unfortunately, it takes too much time to try and assess what is good and not. I think the best is the 100mile diet consisting of items only available within this distance.
Tomatoes from mexico for example, are picked green and gased to produce their vibrant red colour. I try to avoid buying canned and anything grown in mexico if I am able to.

The same goes for strawberries from California. They spray them with methyl bromide...
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”