Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by sobrohusfat »

KOC.jpg

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I'm pretty sick of ridiculous over the top action movies . Too many effects . Nothing is believable because it's commonplace to go too far . Yes it looks real but it's not even close . You know ? I used to love coming out of a theatre feeling like things could have actually taken place .
Ones where they are left to their own devices . Flesh and bone type movies are good . Like that last one from Owen Wilson where he escaped to Vietnam . No escape ?
Strong and free
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

CREED! highly recommend it!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Officially avoiding ALL Star Wars trailers and reviews until I see it for myself. I already consider the over the top hype as strike against enjoying the movie.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I too was constantly aware of the amount of hype that preceded the release, it was everywhere. Without giving away any secrets, Episode VII does a fine job of recapturing the feel of the original chapters all those years ago.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did you throw your "Live Long and Prosper" geek gang sign to show your allegiance to all things Geek?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:Did you throw your "Live Long and Prosper" geek gang sign to show your allegiance to all things Geek?

What, and risk dropping my popcorn? I've got my priorities in order.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I try to preview all the nominees for the best picture Oscar in advance of the awards, you know, just so I have something to whine about after. I watched "Spotlight" the other night. Pretty darn good, good enough that I watched it again the next night. True story about the investigative reporting team that blew the lid off a conspiracy of silence within the Catholic church on the subject of pedophile priests in Boston.

On the small screen, I watched the first episode of a new Showcase series called "Billions". This one has potential. I'm a little apprehensive with the choice of Paul Giamatti as one of the leads as it's a pretty serious role and he's usually cast in mildly "comic relief" roles, but I'm willing to give him a chance. I remember how well Kelsey Grammer left his clowny persona behind in "The Boss". Still *bleep* that they cancelled that one.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We watched a remastered Star Wars movie, A New Hope.

For some reason they all look so young. But no matter, it was so so so....hokey! But for an audience of it's day, in 1977, it was also new and invigorating, an experience to behold. Re-mastered film did fill out some details though.

I bought a boxed VHS set of all three of the originals for $2.50 at the Salvation Army yesterday.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:We watched a remastered Star Wars movie, A New Hope.

For some reason they all look so young. But no matter, it was so so so....hokey! But for an audience of it's day, in 1977, it was also new and invigorating, an experience to behold. Re-mastered film did fill out some details though.

I bought a boxed VHS set of all three of the originals for $2.50 at the Salvation Army yesterday.

I seen first 3 in theatre's when they first came out, then first one of second set of 3.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Seen Revenant twice now. Pretty good. I still love Grown Ups....'maaaaaaaaiize". Love Great Outdoors for "big bear, big bear chase me". And always you gotta love those old victorian homes in Nelson BC in Roxanne
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:...it was so so so....hokey! But for an audience of it's day, in 1977, it was also new and invigorating, an experience to behold.

A big appeal to that first Star Wars movie was the pace it kept. They had done a lot of research on just how long you had to look at an image in order for it to register completely in your mind, hence the average length of any one camera shot during the actions sequences was maybe a second or two. This had the effect of drawing the audience along at an exciting pace.

"Hokey" was part of the magic too, a relatively shallow plot, some comic relief, and the good-guys-always-win was the word of the day, a feeling they recaptured quite well in the new one.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:...it was so so so....hokey! But for an audience of it's day, in 1977, it was also new and invigorating, an experience to behold.

fluffy wrote:A big appeal to that first Star Wars movie was the pace it kept. They had done a lot of research on just how long you had to look at an image in order for it to register completely in your mind, hence the average length of any one camera shot during the actions sequences was maybe a second or two. This had the effect of drawing the audience along at an exciting pace.

"Hokey" was part of the magic too, a relatively shallow plot, some comic relief, and the good-guys-always-win was the word of the day, a feeling they recaptured quite well in the new one.

Got to also remember the technology in film making in mid 70s, compared to today. Even though George Lucas was far ahead of everyone else back then.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
Got to also remember the technology in film making in mid 70s, compared to today. Even though George Lucas was far ahead of everyone else back then.

Yup - back then it was an actual craft :smt045

I've seen all 8 in the theatres :) Scratch that - saw all 13 in the theatres if you include all the rereleases ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”