Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by fluffy »

I found a deal on a box set of all four "Die Hard" movies. Six or seven hours of Bruce Willis getting beat up. Some nights "mindless" is just what the doctor orders.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm kicking it old school as well. Started watching the original Matrix movie.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I cancelled my cable TV about three years back now and have been doing quite nicely without it. I've been buying old TV series a season at a time and have just recently added Netflix to my repertoire so going with a single series for a few shows in a row is kind of the norm lately. It works okay, but I'll keep two or three series going at once in case I start to OD on any one. I just finished the second season of "Boss" with Kelsey Grammer and can't find enough good to say about it. A real departure for him from his usual clown roles, he plays a real prick and does an award winning job of it. Too bad it got the axe.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Liking the Netflix Fluff? I find the movie choices deplorable, but the old series are great. Madmen is really something. We lost count of all the before/after attitudes and mannerisms shown in that show. Right down to seatbelts and driving 30 km was considered fast.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We saw The Croogs 3D last weekend. It was pretty funny. We all loved it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:Liking the Netflix Fluff? I find the movie choices deplorable, but the old series are great.

I can watch a B movie without much distaste, I'm not expecting much to start with, and you can't beat eight bucks a month. I was surprised to find that a number of TV series that I had on my radar to pick up on disc were there. Walking Dead, recent Dexter, Damages, and a few others. Still the real big sellers ill not show up there, they just can't afford the money and still get the service out for such a low price. And some of the networks are launching thier own online service too, HBO Go (States only so far) will give you online access to their stuff provided you already have a home account. Not sure if you're tied to their schedule though, that's another big plus for Netflix, it's like having a huge disc collection in that you can leave something and pick it up again later.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You got it. We'll delve into Lost in the Fall. Started My Name is Earl, but was surprised at how many I'd already seen.

Ever see My Name is Earl? The first is hilarious and it's up hill from there.

And heads up, see all that innocent looking Anime on there? For parents to let their kids watch because they remember Sailer Moon and how innocent it was?

Well.

BDSM, murder, vampires, drinking on the job, break and enter, theft, gay/lesbian sex scenes, nudity, and that's just one series.

Parents, really vet the anime and don't be taken in by the "look" of the big eyes and strawberry short cake looks.

My ten year old nephew posted an anime cartoon on his fbook page and I thought I'd look into anime from here. YIKES.
Mind you I'm sure it's not all like that, but the ones on Netflix are.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

fire fly and serenity were good i loved the characters but shepard book was definitely underdeveloped in the short span. I was watchin all the hbo i could get my hands on dead wood ,sapranos ,six feet under ect. I watch everything on the lap top now on project free tv. I still got a whole set of quantum leap to watch but I'm hooked on game of thrones. dracarus !
Peace be with you.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm kicking it old school as well. Started watching the original Matrix movie.

My wife and I watched 1, 2 & 3 in one weekend. Most excellent.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

"Gangster Squad" - two thumbs down

Cheesy script
Cheesy acting
Disappointing.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

For those of you who haven't been catching the series "Vikings" on History Channel you're missing one of the best on the box right now. Fortunately, they are playing all episodes to date in a row starting at 11:00 am this morning. You're welcome.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:My wife and I watched 1, 2 & 3 in one weekend. Most excellent.

I was reading an article the other day about the original plot for Matrix - how it should have ended as opposed to how it did end. And it's quite disappointing they changed it. The original plot explains huge holes in the movie plot, but at the same time is quite depressing and turns the movie completely upside down. Apparently the movie execs just wouldn't have it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: I was reading an article the other day about the original plot for Matrix - how it should have ended as opposed to how it did end. And it's quite disappointing they changed it. The original plot explains huge holes in the movie plot, but at the same time is quite depressing and turns the movie completely upside down. Apparently the movie execs just wouldn't have it.

Interesting. Any chance you could find the article again and provide a link ?

(my wife and I loved that trilogy)
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

steven lloyd wrote:For those of you who haven't been catching the series "Vikings" on History Channel you're missing one of the best on the box right now. Fortunately, they are playing all episodes to date in a row starting at 11:00 am this morning. You're welcome.

Second that. I'm loving that series.

Looking forward to Hell On Wheels starting again soon, as well as the final season of Dexter.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm kicking it old school as well. Started watching the original Matrix movie.

steven lloyd wrote:My wife and I watched 1, 2 & 3 in one weekend. Most excellent.

First one was excellent.

Second one was "okay, left a lot hanging but they'll tie it all up in the third one".

Third one was "*bleep* just happened?!?!?!"
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”