Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by fluffy »

I remember reading a short magazine article years ago on how we should greet the first visitors from outer space. It was titled "We Should Kill Them and Eat Them" and ran with the premise that whenever an advanced species meets an obviously inferior one (they can get here and we can't get there) subjugation of the lesser species always ensued. The author proposed we show them that we are so utterly savage and barbaric they simply wouldn't come back.

I was at the store early to get my copy of Prometheus last Tuesday and enjoyed it again, even after seeing it in the theatre. I think when someone has a string of movie classics on his resume like Ridley Scott people tend to expect too much.

I'll be off to the store this coming Tuesday for a copy of Moonlight Kingdom.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

-fluffy- wrote: I was at the store early to get my copy of Prometheus last Tuesday and enjoyed it again, even after seeing it in the theatre. I think when someone has a string of movie classics on his resume like Ridley Scott people tend to expect too much.

For real sci-fi buffs (space ships, deep space exploration, questions on origins, etc.) Prometheus is killer good. I really appreciated having a big screen TV after seeing it the first time in a theater. I just can’t get enough of sci-fi on that scale. I was hyped for seeing it in the theatre and was not disappointed. Liked it just as much (if not more) the second time.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

They did a decent job of recreating the suspense aspect that made the first Alien movie such a novel effort, pretty much the first mating of state-of-the-art sci-fi and a bring-your-bum-out-of-the-seat suspense flick.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh my!

I've discovered "Twin Peaks". It's fantastic.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Haven't watched that in years. Pretty weird show if i remember correctly.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Awesomely weird!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh my!

On Netflix? I see that it's there. We've tried Pan Am, but it misses the mark, unlike Mad Men.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh my!

That's been on my to-do list for awhile, I remember when it was originally airing there were lot's of people wired on it. I holding out for a bluray release.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Brought home a copy of "Moonlight Kingdom" yesterday. It's an odd little film that had me smiling all the way through.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

-fluffy- wrote:Brought home a copy of "Moonlight Kingdom" yesterday. It's an odd little film that had me smiling all the way through.

What's it about?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Isn't it Moonrise Kingdom, fluffy? We're talking about the Wes Anderson written/directed movie right?
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Yes, sorry, it is "Moonrise Kingdom". It's kind of hard to classify but I suppose "quirky love story" might do in a pinch. Some heavy hitters in the cast, most of them way out of their usual element, like Bruce Willis and Harvey Keitel. Actually the show is quirky enough that there's nothing really "usual" about it at all.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

-fluffy- wrote:Yes, sorry, it is "Moonrise Kingdom". It's kind of hard to classify but I suppose "quirky love story" might do in a pinch. Some heavy hitters in the cast, most of them way out of their usual element, like Bruce Willis and Harvey Keitel. Actually the show is quirky enough that there's nothing really "usual" about it at all.

I watched it last night.... I really enjoyed it as well.
very quirky which is my kinda thing.... great cast as well.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Took in "Cloud Atlas" at a matinee yesterday. I thought it was a great piece of entertainment, but a real "pay attention" one. It followed no less than six different story lines in six different time periods while toying with concepts like reincarnation and the idea that the actions of one individual can cause endless ripples through time. Plus a bunch of stuff I still have to think about for a while. Adapted from a book that was dubbed "emminently un-filmable" it does have the ability to hold your attention throughout. It's a very pretty film too. I'm rating it both nipples erect on the fluff-o-meter.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

-fluffy- wrote: Adapted from a book that was dubbed "emminently un-filmable"

Didn't they say the same about Life of Pi?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”