Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Jonrox

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Jonrox »

Queen K wrote:Had six hours to kill on the plane so I watched two movies I'm sure glad I didn't run out to the theater for:

The Kingsmen: The Secret Service. Disney in Britain. Kids save the World theme with British accents but none of the Harry Potter charm. Oh and not one but two McD's ads thrown in. Gross.

Battle of the Five Armies, the last of the The Hobbit installment. Can the mess up Tolkien even more please?

Are you talking about Kingsman: Secret Service with Samuel L. Jackson, Colin Firth, etc...? I'm shocked to hear it described as "Disney". I've only seen the trailer but it looks incredibly violent. The reviews I read said the action scenes were intense and sometimes graphic. There's also a lot of swearing from what I understand. Maybe the plane version you saw was toned down?

Disney in Britain is just about the last way I expected this movie to be described.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yup, Disney. Misunderstood brilliant kid going nowhere thrust into a secret World of spying. Disney. And Disney movies aren't all Bambi and Finding Nemo. They can be super graphic and violent. If you are only going by the trailer, then I suggest you see if it's on Netflix and use your 8 bucks/month for this 2 hr flick. You'll be glad you didn't spend more money on it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Interesting. It received great reviews everywhere I've looked and has a 74% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes. It's a new release so isn't on Netflix, but I'll gladly pay to rent it. The trailer looks awesome!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Queen K wrote:Yup, Disney. Misunderstood brilliant kid going nowhere thrust into a secret World of spying. Disney. And Disney movies aren't all Bambi and Finding Nemo. They can be super graphic and violent. If you are only going by the trailer, then I suggest you see if it's on Netflix and use your 8 bucks/month for this 2 hr flick. You'll be glad you didn't spend more money on it.

its one of the best rated movies of the year and i found it to be utterly fantasitc in every way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Right, especially finding the overly grateful sex starved blonde princess in her jail cell and......ooopps, is this giving too much away? Spoiler alert?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Sounds great.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

Big Eyes is amazing, I highly recommend it. Stay away from Inherent Vice,it was so disappointing
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

The Giver!!! Excellent movie and the books are excellent also!
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

Last night I watched The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I highly recommend it!
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Trainwreck was fantastic if you're an Amy Schumer fan. Even if you're not (you just don't hate her) it's a great movie.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Netflix saved the day once again. We watched Ted last night.

Freaking hilarious and yet weak. How does a movie be so funny and so weak at the same time? Alas, will God forgive me for laughing at the worst of the worst? Mila Kunis saves this movie a thousand times. I would have liked to have seen more of the evil characters, they changed it up just enough to add a tiny bit of "plot." Otherwise, it was like Seinfield, about nothing.
Ford4x4Truck
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ford4x4Truck »

Jonrox wrote:Are you talking about Kingsman: Secret Service with Samuel L. Jackson, Colin Firth, etc...? I'm shocked to hear it described as "Disney". I've only seen the trailer but it looks incredibly violent. The reviews I read said the action scenes were intense and sometimes graphic. There's also a lot of swearing from what I understand. Maybe the plane version you saw was toned down?

Disney in Britain is just about the last way I expected this movie to be described.

To me, Disney has always been disturbing and violent. Bambi's mom getting murdered / shot / whatever.

Evil Queen asking for a hunter to literally slice into Snow White's dead body and rip out her heart and place it in a box like a trophy. Said hunter then apparently kills an animal and slices the heart of out a dead animal instead. Not to mention Snow White's trippy experience in the forest where it looks like she's on LSD or something and she starts twirling around imagining evil trees trying to attack her.

Cinderella being emotionally and possibly even physically abused (by family no less) and treated like a worthless slave to the point that she has to imagine she has talking animal friends to stay sane. Yeah she marries some hot prince who will likely have to spend his fortune on psychiatric bills and medication to undo some of the psychological damage his wife endured.

Lion King having an uncle commit regicide AND unsuccessfully order the murder of his nephew who is like 4 or something. He also pins the King's death on the nephew which no doubt does irreparable psychological damage. The uncle then completely ravages the land and leaves practically everyone starving / dying until the nephew returns and kills him.

Anyway I really liked Ted as well and Ted 2.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Jonrox wrote:I'm shocked to hear it described as "Disney". I've only seen the trailer but it looks incredibly violent.

Late 70's and early 80's had DIsney come up with some Creepy movies. They haven't always been sunshine and lollypops.
http://nerdist.com/when-disney-scared-u ... er-forget/
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Ford4x4Truck wrote:To me, Disney has always been disturbing and violent. Bambi's mom getting murdered / shot / whatever.

Evil Queen asking for a hunter to literally slice into Snow White's dead body and rip out her heart and place it in a box like a trophy. Said hunter then apparently kills an animal and slices the heart of out a dead animal instead. Not to mention Snow White's trippy experience in the forest where it looks like she's on LSD or something and she starts twirling around imagining evil trees trying to attack her.

Cinderella being emotionally and possibly even physically abused (by family no less) and treated like a worthless slave to the point that she has to imagine she has talking animal friends to stay sane. Yeah she marries some hot prince who will likely have to spend his fortune on psychiatric bills and medication to undo some of the psychological damage his wife endured.

Lion King having an uncle commit regicide AND unsuccessfully order the murder of his nephew who is like 4 or something. He also pins the King's death on the nephew which no doubt does irreparable psychological damage. The uncle then completely ravages the land and leaves practically everyone starving / dying until the nephew returns and kills him.

This.

Lets not forget Peter Pan too. I mean, Jesus... Tinkerbell tries to kill Wendy. Never noticed this as a kid, but as a adult when watching it with my kid.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Looper - Not sure what I was expecting out of this film but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I was going to.

Saving Mr. Banks - The story of the turmoil Walt Disney went through with the author of "Mary Poppins" to get the movie made. Apparently she insisted the meetings were recorded so I guess a lot of it did happen. Very protective of the story as is mirrored events in her own life.

Inside Out - Kinda deep, i liked it.

Minions - Turn your brain off and put your feet up. Enjoyable.

Spy - Actually smartly done. I'm not a fan of Melissa McCarthy so I'm surprised I enjoyed it. It's more the story of a CIA agent who's been behind a desk for years and finally gets a chance to go into the field to find the killer of the agent she was the handler for. Not done as a parody and more like comic mishaps from someone who's inexperienced. Believable.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”