Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Phoenix Within »

Lady tehMa wrote:Interstellar was weird and somewhat depressing. I could see a 2001/2010 influence in there.

Yea I was kind of disappointed in that one.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We haven't watched a movie for a long time, but The Budapest Hotel is an exception. It's very good, depressing of course, because, what movie isn't these days?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Queen K wrote:We haven't watched a movie for a long time, but The Budapest Hotel is an exception. It's very good, depressing of course, because, what movie isn't these days?

The Grand Budapest Hotel is probably one of the better shows I've seen in a long time.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

"Avengers - Age of Ultron" : every bit as good a ride as the first one, maybe even better.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Trivia time:

"The Avengers - Age of Ultron", fell 1.6 million short of breaking the opening weekend high sales record of 207 million set by its prequel, "The Avengers".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

fluffy wrote:"Avengers - Age of Ultron" : every bit as good a ride as the first one, maybe even better.

It was good, but didn't think it was as good as the first one. I now get the complaints how the first one is how the team is fighting mindless aliens, and now they were fighting mindless robots. Felt like there was a plot hole in there somewhere too.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I took in "Ex Machina" this afternoon and found it entertaining. It's a quiet sort of story, more a drama than a sci-fi, and one you have to pay attention to, but worth the money.
markhans

Post by markhans »

Recently watched the Avengers 2 and really loved it.. highly recommended to sci fi movie fans
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

"The Age of Adeline" is a great date movie.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:One of the scariest and creepiest XFiles episodes is titled, "Tooms". I sat thru it one more time and it's still creep city even after all these years. It's actually the finale of the first one, titled "Thin man". Chris Carter knew what he was doing.

I'm also loving all the Vancouver scenery and have never forgiven David D. for insisting the series move to LA. Look what happened to his career after that.

Another good one in the works in Ashcroft...

ASHCROFT - Aliens have landed in Ashcroft this week, or at least that appears to be what film crews are preparing for.

Photos shared on social media show crews setting up a scene believed to be for the new X-Files TV miniseries which is filming in B.C. right now.

“We believe... the cast and crew will have an ‘out of this world’ experience while staying at The Wilderness Way Adventure Resort this week,” the Wilderness Way Resort in Ashcroft shared on Facebook.

According to an online database the original X-Files series also included scenes shot in the Kamloops, Cache Creek and Ashcroft areas. The Ashcroft area has been popular with film crews in the past; movies such as The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Rain Down, Shooter and even Bird on a Wire all feature scenes shot in the area.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Whiplash. We really enjoyed this.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I watched Seven Psychopaths on Netflix, it was pretty awesome!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Saw the Magnificent Seven on Netflix at a friend's last night. She and I couldn't believe that our husbands had never seen it - how is this possible???? Excellent movie, stands the test of time.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

"Magnificent Seven" is actually a western version of an earlier Japanese movie called "Seven Samurai".
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Phoenix Within wrote:"Magnificent Seven" is actually a western version of an earlier Japanese movie called "Seven Samurai".

Yup - and that is why I was so shocked they hadn't seen it, since we'd watched Seven Samurai earlier this year. That is another film that stands the test of time.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”