Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Lady tehMa »

Just saw a movie called "Mr. Nobody" - 2009. Warpy. Really, really warpy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Saw a fun Nicholas Cage movie last night, called "Next". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435705/
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I haven't seen a great movie in "I don't know how long."

Everything I watch is mediocre at best... and I watch almost everything that comes out with even a decent review/fanfare.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Not a movie but we bought the first season of "Firefly" and are really enjoying it - spaceships and cowboys - its like watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot with Young Guns thrown in. We're really starting the wonder why the heck this show was cancelled after only one season? Darn shane - I mean you can't cancel a show that has old fashioned train robberies with a space ship - fracking brilliant!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Dizzy1 wrote:Not a movie but we bought the first season of "Firefly" and are really enjoying it - spaceships and cowboys - its like watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot with Young Guns thrown in. We're really starting the wonder why the heck this show was cancelled after only one season? Darn shane - I mean you can't cancel a show that has old fashioned train robberies with a space ship - fracking brilliant!

Sadly, it's the only season. IIRC, The network kept bouncing around it's time slot so a regular audience couldn't find it. Critics and fans love it. Genius writing. Joss Whedon doing what he does best, and Pre-Buffy I believe.

Although made as a stand-alone movie, "Serenity" makes more sense after watching the series.

If you watch "Castle", Natan Fillion's (an Edmonton native) character on occasion has some Firefly references.

Joss Whedon is asked constantly about reviving the series, but his last reply to that was "When does love become necrophilia?".

Enjoy it for what it is and dream about what it could have been.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I will have to see if I can find Serenity ... thanks for the tip :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The Intouchables (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7g_OjLKeZ4

Best film i've seen in years. Absolutely enjoyable.

sweet soundtrack too.

(not to be confused with 1987's "The Untouchables")
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Just saw "The Wind Rises" by Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli. It is only in town for a week and I just found out yesterday. Tonight is the last night - it is at the Paramount downtown so it isn't the most comfortable venue, but I thought the movie was worth it. For Miyazaki fans, this is supposedly his last. It is in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlaW8-2T1HI (couldn't get the Youtube to preview properly :p)

It is a fictionalized biography of Jiro Horikoshi, the aeronautical engineer who designed the Japanese Zero.

Spoilers here http://the-artifice.com/the-wind-rises-2013-fact-fiction/ The blog does a nice job of separating fact from fiction.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I finally saw the Lego Movie today and it was everything I hoped it would be. My son and I had the whole theater to ourselves and laughed our butts off. They did a great job.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

jennylives wrote:I finally saw the Lego Movie today and it was everything I hoped it would be. My son and I had the whole theater to ourselves and laughed our butts off. They did a great job.

Seen it twice. Know I still missed stuff in the background. Definitely lives up to all the hype.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

can you imagine if all movie studios in Hollywood were run by
guys exactly like Miyazaki. There would be dozens of great movies every year.

I'm not impressed with so much computer generated graphics in movies.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Went to go see Maleficent the other night ... really enjoyed it. I loved the take they did on the story and Angie as Maleficent was a brilliant casting move. Can't wait for our yearly trip down to Disneyland later this year :)
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

I watched 3:10 to Yuma last night. It's got Russel Crowe and Christian Bale in it, and I think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Definitely the best western I've ever seen.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Liquidnails wrote:I watched 3:10 to Yuma last night. It's got Russel Crowe and Christian Bale in it, and I think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Definitely the best western I've ever seen.

3:10 was a good show ... but for best modern day Western's, I'd give the nod to Tombstone with Kurt Russell ... Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday gave me the much needed respect for him as an actor.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Hoping to see Dragons 2 later today.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”