Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Entertainm ... ckey-Mouse

Would anyone feel the same way about the Star Wars franchise knowing Disney made it?
I'm having an 'ick" feeling right away, as if someone gave Disney The Hobbit after the LOTR series.

Speaking of which,

THE HOBBIT!

One month and two weeks away. If December 14th is still the release date.
Last edited by Queen K on Oct 30th, 2012, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:Who's looking forward to The Hobbit?

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.s ... sed_a.html

Looking forward to it!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Queen K wrote:Would anyone feel the same way about the Star Wars franchise knowing Disney made it?
I'm having an 'ick" feeling right away, as if someone gave Disney The Hobbit after the LOTR series.

Lucas already screwed up the franchise with the 3 prequels (Mitaclorians? Really?). They can't do any worse. Lucas may be a great director, but a story teller hes not. I'm hoping Disney releases the Original Star Wars (pre '97 digital re-release) on Blu-ray.

I recommend watching the documentary "The People vs George Lucas"
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If that documentary is on Netflix I'll be watching it.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wonder how much of this is due to high expectations from the fan world? When the first Star Wars came out in 1977 the technological advances swept everyone off their feet. Lucas had done extensive research into just how long someone had to look at an image on the screen for it to register properly on the brain. The actions sequences in that movie are patched together with scenes a second or two in length, something that hadn't been tried yet. The result was an incredibly stimulating rapid-fire barrage of action that left audiences tingling and aching for more. Some much so that things like a simplistic plot, corny dialogue and bad acting didn't even warrant discussion. Flash forward a couple of decades to a time where everyone has been cashing in on ground broken by Lucas and we're not so easy to fool. The big complaint about all the prequels has been (surprise) simplistic plot, corny dialogue and bad acting. Fans are crying "You were supposed to be the chosen one" because the rush of the first movie hasn't been repeated over and over again.

Disney has shown again and again that they can make an excellent film, I expect that with the Lucas infrastructure added into their mix, plus Lucas on board as creative advisor, that they can make a decent sequel. Their downfall if at all, would be fans with unrealistically high expectations.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Get Lucas to direct, but do NOT let him anywhere near the script!

#1, Lucas killed the Force with "Midiclorians".

#2, HAN SHOT FIRST!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

All I want is for Simba to kill off Jar Jar.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:All I want is for Simba to kill off Jar Jar.

I don't care who gets the contract, but somebody has to put that goof out of our misery. "Meezza bin shot !!" (thunderous applause)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

Help me choose what to go to see tonight.

Flight,with Denzell W
Or
Argo,with Ben Affleck

I already kiboshed to new Bruce Willis film....I am not paying to see that.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

"Looper" is actually pretty good, not your standard Bruce Willis vehicle. He pretty much plays second fiddle to Gordon Joseph Levitt who does a very good job. I saw "Cloud Atlas" last week and will see it again to be sure. Heard good things about "Argo" it's on my list for tomorrow.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Flight
could eat that man with a spoon
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

shoo wrote:Help me choose what to go to see tonight.

Flight,with Denzell W
Or
Argo,with Ben Affleck

I already kiboshed to new Bruce Willis film....I am not paying to see that.

Go see Argo. No question. Brilliant film.

Everything I've heard about Flight is that while Washington's performance is excellent, the movie itself is brutally front loaded. All the action happens in the first act and it's a slog to get through the rest. Extremely bad pacing leads to a slow, slow movie.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

Argo was really good,close to the true story,with some Hollywood embellishment,of course. I clearly remember this event when it happened.Good job with the clothing,hair,cars of the period. So glad I chose this one to see last night!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Took in "Argo" at a matinee yesterday. Agree that it is a fine watch, a steady, gripping pace throughout and from what I hear it was an accurate look into a time of great turmoil.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I watched Manhunter the other day, which is the original Red Dragon movie.

I must say, Manhunter is way better. Absolutely fantastic movie.

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”