Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by fluffy »

“A Quiet Place”

Both nipples fully erect on the fluff-o-meter.

I’m not a fan of the horror genre, and it’s not really fair to lump this one into that class. It would probably be more accurate to call it a sci-fI suspense flick but even that could be misleading. In any event it’s very well crafted and unless you are a complete fraidy-cat it will hold your attention from start to finish. The Cinderella story of the year, it was put together on a $17 million dollar budget and has since grossed almost $350 million. Well worth a watch.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I sure hope to be able to go see this.
"They Shall Not Grow Old"
Actual WW1 footage, masterfully lip synced and colourized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHYRfukHToc

Chances are slim to get out without tears, heard one review as
the best film ever to be on screen.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

fluffy wrote:“A Quiet Place”

I’m not a fan of the horror genre, and it’s not really fair to lump this one into that class. It would probably be more accurate to call it a sci-fI suspense flick but even that could be misleading. In any event it’s very well crafted and unless you are a complete fraidy-cat it will hold your attention from start to finish. The Cinderella story of the year, it was put together on a $17 million dollar budget and has since grossed almost $350 million. Well worth a watch.

I see it's now on Netflix.
Will give the Fluff-O-Meter recommendation a try. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Recently saw "Mortal Engines" and thought it was a pretty good movie. Not deep or hugely compelling, but an enjoyable experience.
I haven't failed until I quit.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Lady tehMa wrote:Recently saw "Mortal Engines" and thought it was a pretty good movie. Not deep or hugely compelling, but an enjoyable experience.

I also enjoyed it,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have to add to the kudos for Bohemian Rhapsody - I cried. :cry:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Agreed 100% :130:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I see it's now on Netflix.
Will give the Fluff-O-Meter recommendation a try. :up:

She nailed the bath tub scene on the first take.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
Off topic, imo not worth its own thread.

I am not at all surprised when households have to cut things, non-essentials are first on the block.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... ports-loss
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

An espionage TRUE story of baseball player and bibliophile Moe Berg joins OSS during WW2. His mission was to kill Heisenberg, a physicist capable of building an atomic bomb for Germany, or let him live if he seemed to be "stalling" and thereby aiding the allies.

Engaging, thoughtfully written and well acted by Paul Rudd, of an enigmatic and puzzling man.

The title is The Catcher was a Spy. Got it from ORL.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Mrs. Tree and I watched a great movie on the weekend, "This Beautiful Fantastic". A horticultural delight! LOL We got the DVD from the library, not sure where else it can be found.

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:Bumped
Off topic, imo not worth its own thread.

I am not at all surprised when households have to cut things, non-essentials are first on the block.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... ports-loss

Has more to do with the lack of blockbusters earlier this year compared to last year. Box office sales have already and will continue to climb this year with the releases of Avengers, Joker, Star Wars, Rambo, Terminator, etc.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Seen Rocketman last week...………..being an Elton John fan I liked it. Be advised, it is a "musical" but does not show as one in the trailers or commercials. Taron Egerton (Kingsmen movies) does a great job and DOES all of the singing.

The BIG movie this summer will be on July 26th...……...Tarantino's ninth movie comes out...……"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood".

………….check out the trailers...……..this is going to be great, along the lines or style of Pulp Fiction.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Not out yet, but:

:200: :200: :200:
Cdnlass

Post by Cdnlass »

Ka-El wrote:
Fancy wrote:Surprised you didn't like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, The Green Mile, Avatar or Gravity.

Black Hawk Down, Lawless. Prometheus, Cloud Atlas - the list just goes on and on.
Ya, a lot of *bleep* gets put out, but who watches the *bleep*? Wannabe critics?

I watch the *bleep* so you don't have to. LOL

But seriously, I love B movies just as much as I love really great movies. I think I have only ever turned off 3 or 4 movies in my life and its because they looked like a 12 year old filmed them in their basement and the gratuitous use of the eff bomb proved my point. Sometimes its just fun to put on something you know is incredibly bad so you can have a good laugh - hence my love for Killer Klowns from Outer Space [icon_lol2.gif]

I definitely don't agree that there hasn't been any good movies in 20 years - I just watched Bohemian Rhapsody and it was fantastic. Rami Malek got the role of a lifetime and instantly became someone we will all remember.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”