Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Lady tehMa »

The Avengers Infinity Wars trailer came out yesterday! :yahoo:

I haven't failed until I quit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hasnt been a decent movie in over 20 years.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Surprised you didn't like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, The Green Mile, Avatar or Gravity.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fancy wrote:Surprised you didn't like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, The Green Mile, Avatar or Gravity.

Green mile was ok i guess. Shawshank was decent. Godfather 1. A few gangster movies from the early 90s.

The list of good movies has not grown in a long time
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Fancy wrote:Surprised you didn't like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, The Green Mile, Avatar or Gravity.

Black Hawk Down, Lawless. Prometheus, Cloud Atlas - the list just goes on and on.
Ya, a lot of crap gets put out, but who watches the crap? Wannabe critics?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Finally got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - not as good as the first one, still good though. By far Stan Lee's best cameo yet :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I had high hopes for "Valerian..." but the script came off a little superficial. I made the mistake of going into the theatre with preconceived expectations and I'm usually pretty good at keeping an open mind. Beeson's "The Fifth Element" was such an excellent ride I had my heart set on an equally successful effort and it just didn't surface. I guess I'm a tough customer, I'm fairly easy to entertain, but sharp enough to see when someone has taken a short cut or failed to develop a crucial point sufficiently. I don't like sloppy work or shallow scripts. I give big points for a film's ability to stir my emotions.

Recent notables: watched "Casablanca" again, surely more viewings to come, must have watched "Spotlight" a dozen times already and it's still entertaining, same goes for "The Big Short" to a slightly lesser degree, and just about everything from the Marvel Universe so far has been a winner.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We don't go to the theatre much as it's too loud for me. (hearing challenged and with hearing aids it's just painful)
We just bought a 4K TV and I'm looking forward to re watching Avatar and a few others in 4K.
At least the upscaled version. lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Bsuds wrote:We just bought a 4K TV...

Let me know how that works out for you. I just went from a 51" Plasma to a 60" 1080P on Black Friday last year and that will keep me happy for a few years, but I wouldn't mind making an even bigger one part of my retirement package. Just about everything is 4K now, 1080P is fading away fast as the prices come down on the 4K. It seems that 720P has gone to be with Elvis.

Will regular blu rays work in a 4K player?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

fluffy wrote:Will regular blu rays work in a 4K player?

Might depend on the model but pretty sure they do.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bsuds wrote:
fluffy wrote:Will regular blu rays work in a 4K player?

Might depend on the model but pretty sure they do.

Bought a 60" 4K LG 2 years ago ($1,300 model, not the $3,000 model). I will tell you that it does enhance regular TV channels and HD channels. DVD's and Blue Ray are also enhanced, no problems playing any of them. Some people may not see the difference but if you are in the market for a new TV, spend the extra for 4K. The TV we bought can be purchased for under $1,000 now. In Canada there are no channels being broadcast in 4K although I have heard Rogers may have one sports channel in 4K. Netflix I hear has some shows or movies in 4K but as of yet have not seen any. I will also tell you that YouTube has a 4K section of videos and the picture is absolutely amazing.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

blue_moon wrote:The latest film, from which I was scared is Annihilation. Although this is not like a horror film)

I took in "Annihilation" in Vancouver last weekend, I was surprised to see it still hanging around as it had come and went in the Okanagan a few weeks back. I enjoyed it but apparently it hasn't been the financial success they had hoped for. I read that this is not uncommon as movie going habits are changing with the proliferation of streaming services, it's just getting hard to justify thirty bucks or so to plant your bum in a seat for a couple of hours. "Annihilation" had the script, the actors and the eye candy, why it under-performed as far as bringing in the crowds is a bit of a head scratcher. I hope this doesn't mean there will be no follow-up, it was based on the first novel in a bestselling trilogy.

One thing I read online that has my geekles tingling is that the king of gratuitous violence Quentin Tarantino is in talks to take the helm for the next offering in the Star Trek franchise, and that it will be the first to take on an "R" rating. Interesting.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

"The Killing of the Sacred Deer"

Watched this on PPV last night and still trying to fully figure out. Without a doubt, the most cringe inducing movie I've ever seen. Picture a sinister Napoleon Dynamite without the laughs, this awkward teen injects himself into a family and things get weird.

Wife and I had to Google it afterward hoping to make sense of it, turns out we aren't versed in Greek tragedies.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.vice.co ... dy-of-2017

All and all a brilliantly done movie that while is hard to watch and confusing, it leaves a lasting impression and won't be a movie I forget anytime soon.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've heard Ready Player One is excellent (though bears only a passing resemblance to the book) and should be seen in 3D
I haven't failed until I quit.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Took in "Ready Player One" last week and found it to be enjoyable fare. I felt it drag a bit in the middle but it redeemed itself qite well in the second half.

The article on "A Quiet Place" has my curiosity piqued, that was on our short list last week but my date wasnt a fan of scary movies so we gae it a by.

I'm hyped for "Infinity Wars" when I get out of camp net week.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”