Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by fluffy »

steven lloyd wrote:(although will be watching "Loopers" tomorrow night and may have to add it to the list)

Look for a decent performance from Joseph Gordon Levitt, an actor coming into his own.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

For you Documentary fans:

"Hungry For Change" and "Farmageddon", both on Netflix.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

steven lloyd wrote:(although will be watching "Loopers" tomorrow night and may have to add it to the list)

-fluffy- wrote: Look for a decent performance from Joseph Gordon Levitt, an actor coming into his own.

Wow !!! If I had a fluffy o’meter both nipples would be rock solid erect. That was one very well put together flick. Indeed, Joseph Gordon Levitt, an actor coming into his own ( as you say ) delivered a highly proficient effort. Bruce Willis, in a supporting role turned in as strong performance as well. In fact, every major part was played very well.

Did you note how they made up Joseph Gordon Levitt to look like a younger version of Bruce Willis. I wish there was a way I could juxtapose their images to see what they changed to do that. It was very well done.

I was already expecting an enjoyable movie with science fiction premise and time travel paradoxes, but what was presented far surpassed any expectation of a guy picking up a sci-fi movie because he loves sci-fi. Looper was mind-bending and will probably have to be watched by some on more than one occasion. I know I spent a lot of time hitting pause and then rewind to make sure I hadn’t missed a critical piece of dialogue.

Prometheus was a brilliant screen play with special effects and sets that will leave any true sci-fi aficionado wanting for more. Total recall is a far superior make than the original, and those who appreciate high paced action placed within amazing sets will not be disappointed. Looper, on the other hand presents so much more than either of those.

I’m not going to say more as I do not want to risk betraying the plot and climax. This is definitely a movie worth watching.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Planning to take in the Judge Dredd reboot next week? I like that the recent batch of remakes are taking on a slightly darker, more serious tone than their originals. Total Recall is a perfect example, a marked departure from Ahnold's effort years back, even though that was a fine production it did have a huge tongue-in-cheek element to it, possible aimed at a younger market. I'm thinking we might see the same in the new Judge Dredd although the character is definitely a larger-than-life persona, it would benefit from a whole new approach. The nineties action hero genre is wearing thin, I think a big part of today's audience is looking for something a tad deeper than a parade of explosions and snappy one liners.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

-fluffy- wrote: Planning to take in the Judge Dredd reboot next week?

Definitely. Some of the preview where they’re having the shoot-out inside the building looked much like parts of the Indonesian movie “Raid: Redemption”. That was an action-packed show and was quite good. It wasn’t sci-fi though.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

steven lloyd wrote:
Wow !!! If I had a fluffy o’meter both nipples would be rock solid erect. That was one very well put together flick. Indeed, Joseph Gordon Levitt, an actor coming into his own ( as you say ) delivered a highly proficient effort. Bruce Willis, in a supporting role turned in as strong performance as well. In fact, every major part was played very well.

That movie was awesome. I'm a woman. Dont remember the state of my nipples. :spinball:
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

-fluffy- wrote:Planning to take in the Judge Dredd reboot next week?

Started watching it last night and going to finish it off today. So far, so good. I wouldn't rank it as Excellent, but it's a hell of a lot better than the one Stallone did. I like Karl Urban, but not sure if he's the right man for this job, still undecided on that one.

I'm glad the got away from the need to have a "Comic relief" character in darker movies. Unfortunately, it does leave Rob Schneider unemployed!

I'll have to check out "Looper" and "Premium Rush". Heard good about Joseph Gordon Levitt in both movies. He was pretty decent in "Dark Knight Rises" too. The movie was nowhere near as good as "the Dark Night", but he was a redeeming feature in it. They did a good job of passing the torch too in that movie, as he's supposed to be the new Batman in the "Justice League" movie.

Edit: Just finished "Dredd". I'll give it credit, it was a lot better than the crappy trailer made it out to be.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

The most anticipated movies of 2013 ?

http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/movies/ph ... ad-image-0
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/movies/photo-gallery/-/p/5288/most-anticipated-movies-of-2013/990615#ad-image-0

Oh please. Hunger games should have went straight to video, it was that bad.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The new StarTrek movie is coming out soon. May ??
Can't wait.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:The new StarTrek movie is coming out soon. May ??
Can't wait.

May 17th
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've been sniffing around sites listing "hidden gems" as in obscure low budget diamonds-in-the-rough. Google search something like "best movies you've never seen" to bring up a number of lists. A couple that have my curiosity piqued are "Wristcutters: A Love Story" and "Sounds of my Voice".
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Fluffy, on the topic of hidden gems, I got thinking about this movie recently and I think you may enjoy it.

It's called "Something The Lord Made" starring Alan Rickman and Mos Def.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386792/

A decent drama. I quite enjoyed it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Hunger Games is on Netflix, we watched it last night.

Not bad! But then I didn't read the book and was not encumbered by details or off-shoot stuff I thought should be in there.

May the odds be forever in your favour"
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”