Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Queen K »

Fluff, we watched the 1984 movie effort. I'd love to see the extended versions in the series. And yes, the religious efforts weren't lost on me.

And Kyle is the obvious Twin Peaks connection, of course, but the quirkiness, the flashbacks, the dreams coming true parts too were part of Twin Peaks.

I tried reading Dune, the first book, but wasn't in the mood for something so weighty at the time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:I tried reading Dune, the first book, but wasn't in the mood for something so weighty at the time.

I can relate. The author made great pains to set up an entire universe of his own design which made the beginning of the book pretty tough slogging. I bet it took me a week to get through the first thirty pages, but after that I was phoning in sick to stay home and read it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

There are six books in all, and the story covers millions of years. The long term plotting and execution by the Bene Gesserit with plans intended to take fruition over a course of generations is both impressive and mind-binding. The fourth book, “God Emperor of Dune” (meant to be the climax but wasn’t), was possibly my favourite. The days of M’audib long gone, it chronicles the reign of his son, now Duke Leto, and relegates M’audib to the role of prophet foreseeing the reign of the Duke. It is definitely a collection of books worth plowing through – as are a number of Herbert’s works IMHO.

http://www.biblio.com/frank-herbert~105743~author
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Lovely Bones

would watch it again
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hobbit was pretty good, I must say. The only beef was obvious cut to special effects department or something, the orcs were way too computerized as opposed to very nice makeup used in LOTR series.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

-fluffy- wrote:The Lovely Bones

would watch it again

If you decide to read the book, have sevaral boxes of kleenex with you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Watched the movie called 9 last week with the kids. Best movie I've seen in a long time.
Watching the preview gave me goose bumps all over again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoJecu9e7c
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you want to watch some lame movies with the kids try Rio and Super8. Somehow Rango managed to escape being lame and is extremely funny and well done.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I watched The Neverending Story with the kids last night. It is still awesome. Next up will be The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Fixer 166 wrote:Watched the movie called 9 last week with the kids. Best movie I've seen in a long time.
Watching the preview gave me goose bumps all over again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoJecu9e7c

You can find the original short film of the same name by the writer/director on Youtube. Some of the scenes and characters made it into the full length movie.

BTW, I love the song in the trailer. I believe it's "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

jennylives wrote:I watched The Neverending Story with the kids last night. It is still awesome. Next up will be The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

I watched "The Dark Crystal" a couple of weeks back after spotting it on bluray at Wal-Mart for eight bucks. "Labyrinth" was in the same bin.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hey, I heard a rumour of "Labyrinth II" in the works - anyone know anything?
I haven't failed until I quit.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I googled around a bit and found references to Labyrinth 2, a video game, and a couple of links to fan made Labyrinth 2 movie trailers, but nothing serious. There was a four part manga series written over the past few years centering around a grown-up baby Toby, but it looks like that's about as close as they've come so far. You're ready for another trip to the bog of eternal stench are you?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

If you were a child of the 80's to early 90's and spent many a quarter in the arcade, you'll like "Wreck-It Ralph". Lots of old game references.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Phoenix Within wrote:If you were a child of the 80's to early 90's and spent many a quarter in the arcade, you'll like "Wreck-It Ralph". Lots of old game references.

Just watched that last night. I liked it.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”