Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Any good movies out there?

Postby Queen K » Aug 28th, 2017, 10:15 am

Funny that you brought Blade Runner up because in the first few scenes I said, "looks a lot like Blade Runner" and the street scenes did too.

I am also looking forward to new Blade Runner. I want to watch Blade Runner Un-Cut before the new one comes out.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9540 posts

Postby fluffy » Sep 10th, 2017, 6:43 am

Queen K wrote:I am also looking forward to new Blade Runner. I want to watch Blade Runner Un-Cut before the new one comes out.

I bought a five disc "Collectors' Edition" of Bladerunner a few years back and if you're a fan then it's a wonderful addition to your library. The "behind-the-scenes" look at the making of the movie is every bit as entertaining as any movie out there these days. The best cut to watch would be the "Final Cut", as close to the perfectionist director's original visualization as you can come.

When I read that the coming sequel will also be released in IMAX format I toyed with the idea of going to Vancouver to see it on one of the real IMAX screens there. I know there is one near Pacific Center so I checked room prices at the Pan-Pacific Hotel which is also right there. When I regained consciousness....

Edited to add:
I've raved about this movie before, but it is every bit deserving of praise. In addition to some social commentary that holds relevance today more than ever, genetic manipulation for one, as a technical and artistic achievement it stands apart from all contenders. Released in 1982, it was made in a time when computer graphics were but a twinkle in the collective eye of geekdom. The only computers involved in production were to control the cameras when multiple shots of the same scene were required. The rest was all done with miniatures and camera "trickery". Apart from some studio settings, it was filmed almost entirely at night, portraying a dystopian future of overpopulation and climate change gone out of control. Under it all it reads like a good old film noire detective story. If you haven't seen this film yet you're really missing out on a classic.
Last edited by fluffy on Sep 12th, 2017, 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.

Queen K likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3346 posts

Postby fluffy » Sep 10th, 2017, 7:18 am

Surfing the web last night (actually, "surfing" implies an intended destination, what I generally do is more like ADD inspired aimless meandering) I came across reference to director Gonzales Inarritu's "Trilogy of Death" which consists of the movies "Amores Perros", "21 Grams" and "Babel". Any reviews on any of these?
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Lady tehMa » Sep 14th, 2017, 7:24 am

I didn't enjoy the new "Mummy". :/ Husband said it was okay, but didn't hold a candle to the original.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3384 posts

Postby sobrohusfat » Oct 17th, 2017, 7:10 pm

movie about a spelling B ??

...Oh yea, Good show - I laughed.

"...Marzipan !"

:biggrin:
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1375 posts

Postby Noisy Boater » Oct 17th, 2017, 8:33 pm

American Made with Tom Cruise was pretty good. The fact it was a true story was even better. I googled Barry the pilot just out of curiosity and there is some interesting reading. Mountain Between Us is next.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ?
Noisy Boater
Board Meister

Liked in: 230 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 18th, 2017, 4:53 am

I took in Bladerunner 2049 last night and at this point I’m giving a qualified “excellent”. First off, I saw it in “Ultra AVX” format which turned out to be more of a distraction than an enhancement. I sat too close to the screen so there was noticeable distortion in shapes and perspective. Everybody had a Jay Leno chin. Second was the “Immersive Sound”. Unimpressed. Anybody old enough to remember the original “Earthquake”? In the right situation maybe, but not this time. This particular film has a quiet, contemplative air to it, more like sitting down with a good book than your typical Hollywood formula parade of explosions.

The story and the cinematography are where it shines. Eye candy enough to sate any appetite, and the storyline is being hailed as “a worthy heir to the original”. In short, if you liked the original you’ll like the sequel. I may see it again in a more traditional theatre format, most definitely will be picking up a copy when it comes out on disc.

I have had the thought that Harrison Ford has passed his “best before” date, but that opinion is based on live appearances where he seems to struggle for words on occasion, but as an actor he’s still got it. This film “needed his magic”. And kudos to Mackenzie Davis for her take on the “Priss” lookalike, it would have been nice to see that role play a larger part.

Oh, and be ready for a long one, 160 minutes. Choose a drink with caffeine.

The fluff-o-meter reads both nipples fully erect. As if there was ever any doubt.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Queen K » Oct 18th, 2017, 4:58 am

Can't wait to see it. I have days off coming up and this is the perfect movie to take in on the big screen. I'll be a longer x-rated version is offered up by Christmas on Blu-Ray.

:up: :up: from the Fluff-O-Meter eh? Awesome.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby techrtr » Oct 18th, 2017, 9:25 am

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last weekend and loved it. I'm a big fan of the original and was really glad to see now they tied up some loose ends. Denis Villeneuve is a great director and it was nice to see some intelligent sci fi (even though it doesn't always make a lot of money).

2 people like this post.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 650 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 21st, 2017, 6:34 am

techrtr wrote:...it was nice to see some intelligent sci fi (even though it doesn't always make a lot of money).

Yeah, it looks like this latest effort is going to follow suit with the first as far as disappointing numbers in the theatre. It looks like it's not catching the eye of the younger crowd who didn't have much exposure to the 1982 original. Reviews are full of complaints about it being too long and too slow paced. I saw none of that, it's a good story and well presented.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Queen K » Oct 21st, 2017, 7:04 am

That's because you are capable of taking in real information that isn't reduced to sound bites and Dr. Suess writing Fluffy.
It's a generational difference.
And yes, they should have re-released the original Blade Runner a year ago. Would have been a good move. But no one called me to ask. Or you. :up:

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby fluffy » Oct 21st, 2017, 7:34 am

I think I've mentioned it before, but the 5 disc collectors' edition of the original Bladerunner is a worthy addition to any collection. There is a lengthy segment on the making of the movie that is just as interesting as the movie itself, lots of interviews and some great background on just what an ambitious and difficult project it was, especially with a perfectionist like Ridley Scott at the helm.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby lesliepaul » Nov 9th, 2017, 11:27 am

Not sure how many people subscribe to HBO Canada but I just watched a HBO Special titled "Rolling Stone........Stories From The Edge". It is a two-part series with each part two hours long. If you grew up with Rolling Stone magazine since they started around 1967, you will enjoy this. It follows R.S. for 50 years with along with parts about many of their writers and photographers.......Ben Fong Torres, Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous movie) and of course Hunter S. Thompson and Annie Leibowitz.

I grew up with Rolling Stone and these 4 hours brought back a ton of memories..........musically and event history..........check it out.

lesliepaul
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 746 posts

Previous

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts