Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Phoenix Within wrote:That was another Coen Brother movie I just didn't get. Same with "No Country for Old Men". I was scratching my head wondering what the plot was by the end of it.

No Country For Old Men was a genius movie.

But the book is even better.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: No Country For Old Men was a genius movie.

:smt023 Agreed. Seen it a couple of times now.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Triple 6 wrote:The originals are amazing Steven. You don't even notice the subtitles after a bit.

We watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last Saturday and The Girl Who Played with Fire last night. Yes, very good. Looking forward to viewing The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest next weekend.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dave's Grohl's documentary Sound City. He brings raw enthusiasm to music like no one else. It makes me want to join a rock band and I don't know how to play anything. Stellar work and loads of passion in this film. http://buy.soundcitymovie.com/watch/soundcity_film
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks, MR. QK and I will check out Soundcity asap.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Another great music documentary is called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", a film about the Funk Brothers, a band of studio musicians who played on more number one hits than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley combined.

I've caught a couple of episodes of a new TV series series called "The Following". Pretty interesting so far, it certainly looks worth keeping an eye on. If you can, watch it from the beginning.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We don't even have our one channel right now. We're getting "weak or no signal." If it's not on Netflix, it's not on. We are however catching up on The X-Files, all 202 episodes and falling in love with Fox Mulder all over again. (okay, I am, not Mr. QK)
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

-fluffy- wrote:I've caught a couple of episodes of a new TV series series called "The Following". Pretty interesting so far, it certainly looks worth keeping an eye on. If you can, watch it from the beginning.

I was just talking about that with Warden. I wasn't sold on the first episode but the second got me hooked. I believe we're guaranteed 14 episodes.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's got potential. I find the ones that speak loudest to me lately are the ones that pull you into the minds of the characters. "Dexter" and "The Killing" both have this down pat. I'm hoping for more of the same from "The Following". It's been depending on a series of clever plot twists and cliff hangers so far, but I can see an opportunity for some real depth in both the antagonist and protagonist. They've got me hooked, but can they reel me in?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Don't get me started on Firefly/Serenity. All my coats are brown.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We were thinking of watching them next, after 4400.

Outcasts was filmed in South Africa, had some brilliant moments, but on the whole got panned by critics and cancelled after 8 episodes.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I seem to have a knack for zeroing in on series that get cancelled in the middle of their story arc. "Carnivale" was one that had my rapt attention before dropping my into the pit of sudden cancellation. "Saving Grace" was another, and while they could see the end coming and tried to write some closure into the last couple of episodes, it was terribly rushed and not at all a credit to the quality of series up to that point. Leon Rippy as the beer guzzling, tobacco chewing "last chance angel"? Brilliant.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Snuggling in with a copy of "Bunraku" tonight. Somebody said it's an odd movie. I like odd.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What is a good horror movie to watch ? All horror movies on Netflix are low rated, but there has to be something good , right ?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

You can't go wrong with 2 Headed Shark Attack.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”