Where do you get good Chinese food in Kelowna

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Where do you get good Chinese food in Kelowna

Post by sooperphreek »

Lady tehMa wrote:What are the prices like? How would you rate it against the current restaurants?

a couple of bucks more than dinner smorg for lunch. but there are a lot of options to choose from on the ipad menu order selector. and something to consider is that the items are made fresh and brought to the table. keep in mind that it is not traditional eating - it is kind of like eating what is prepared as it is made. so you will be eating a jumble of food at different times. and your table can get packed. lol all in all it is good. not as a traditional smorg done frequently. but as an event - it would be great.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

sooperphreek wrote:a couple of bucks more than dinner smorg for lunch. but there are a lot of options to choose from on the ipad menu order selector. and something to consider is that the items are made fresh and brought to the table. keep in mind that it is not traditional eating - it is kind of like eating what is prepared as it is made. so you will be eating a jumble of food at different times. and your table can get packed. lol all in all it is good. not as a traditional smorg done frequently. but as an event - it would be great.

Thanks for the review!
I haven't failed until I quit.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I want to go so someone please message me all about the place please and thank you
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Just got back from Vancouver...........GO THERE!

Peaceful Restaurant is the name and there are several locations...........Northern Chinese and some of the best we have ever had.

Kelowna Chinese restaurants are mostly disappointing although we go every few months to Saigon on Bernard. Their soups are very good and the price is good for what you get. Asian Pear buffet a couple of times a year just to "pig out".
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Tradition. (573 Lawrence). Very Good Chinese. Ambiance is lacking, however the food is very reasonably priced and very good.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Has anyone else noticed a trend with Chinese restaurants overall to pack dishes ordered with celery or cabbage?

We now specify "NO celery or cabbage." IN any of the dishes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ When &/or if I order Chinese takeout, I tend to order rice & meat dishes with curry sauce on the side. I have my own vegies/salad
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

lesliepaul wrote:Just got back from Vancouver...........GO THERE!

Peaceful Restaurant is the name and there are several locations...........Northern Chinese and some of the best we have ever had.

Kelowna Chinese restaurants are mostly disappointing although we go every few months to Saigon on Bernard. Their soups are very good and the price is good for what you get. Asian Pear buffet a couple of times a year just to "pig out".

I agree on the Peaceful restaurant recommendation. Their hand cut noodle dishes are extraordinary. Lunch or dinner, it's amazing.
You and 71 others Like this post
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Mei Wei in West K!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Queen K wrote:Has anyone else noticed a trend with Chinese restaurants overall to pack dishes ordered with celery or cabbage?

We now specify "NO celery or cabbage." IN any of the dishes.

That's a habit every Chinese take-out in this area does...........prop up the handful of whatever with celery or cabbage or lettuce to give the illusion that the container is full and then OVERCHARGE for this crap. It has been 10 years since we have ordered take-out and never will again in this city. Chinese (Asian) restaurants have the HIGHEST markup of any take out food........a few years ago it was 450%. Sowee......your gweed has no bounds. Oh, and you can add to that the fact that very few if any of these restaurants are open past 9 PM on a Friday or Saturday........LAZY........but then again, this is Kelowna........minimum effort for maximum profit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

After hearing about returning of Mr.Mikes to the area (well Vernon).

Got me thinking about other childhood memories around food. My very first introduction to Chinese food was Lotus Gardens in Vernon. Up to this point was never a big rice kid, then had my first taste of chicken fried rice.... Wow I was hooked.
Still have never found the same flavour of that dish, many have come close.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Best fried rice I ever had was in a Bar in Hong Kong with a group of buddies of our ship.
After a night of drinking we got a plate of the rice and found out it was cooked over an open flame on the 3rd floor by a little old lady. Wow was it ever good.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bumped

After hearing about returning of Mr.Mikes to the area (well Vernon).
GordonH wrote:Got me thinking about other childhood memories around food. My very first introduction to Chinese food was Lotus Gardens in Vernon. Up to this point was never a big rice kid, then had my first taste of chicken fried rice.... Wow I was hooked.
Still have never found the same flavour of that dish, many have come close.

I think my sister waitressed there in the 1970s. Or maybe it was Hong Kong Village.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

also talking about this in worst service ever, have heard that the Bunkhouse has amazing Chinese Food and am going to have to check it out. Tried to get take out at Wok Inn on 33 last week and they were closed at 4:00 p.m. even though there was nothing stating that in the window, their sign said open until 8 or something, (someone commented they were closed due to celebrating Chinese New Year). We did try a small place near the husky on Gordon and were not impressed, won't be going there ever again.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Yumi's Bistro. 10/10 best I've had anywhere in BC.

They've got a special order ahead menu with super traditional stuff on it, in addition to a normalish westernized menu. Which also has a lot of more traditional alternatives to westernized stuff.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”