Recipe Exchange

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
kelownawriter
Fledgling

Re: Recipe Exchange

Post by kelownawriter »

Homemade Ketchup

http://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/04/h ... crazy.html

I greatly enjoy Chef John's recipes and videos.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks Kelownawriter and to those who sent ketchup recipes via PM.

I am going to be making some next week.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

I just done up 10lbs yesterday...mmmmm....mmmm good

Smoked Candied Salmon.jpg

Smoked Salmon Candy

Makes about 5 pounds.

Prep Time: 1 hour curing time

Cook Time: 4 hours smoking time

5 pounds skin-on salmon collars, bellies or fillets cut into 2-inch thick strips
1 pound kosher salt
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup or birch syrup

Mix the salt and brown sugar together. Find a lidded container large enough to hold the salmon; a big tupperware works well. Lay down a layer of the salt/sugar mixture about 1/4 inch deep. Put a layer of salmon down on this, skin side up. Cover the salmon with more salt/sugar mixture. If you need a second layer of salmon, make sure the layer of salt and sugar between them is thick enough so that the pieces of salmon are not touching. Basically you are burying the salmon in salt and sugar. Cover and let cure in the fridge at least 30 minutes, and up to 3 hours. The longer the cure the saltier it will be; I cure for 2 hours.

Remove the salmon from the cure, which will get wet, and briefly rinse the fish under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel and set the salmon on a drying rack skin side down. Let this dry in a breezy place for 2 hours, or in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. I put the racks under a ceiling fan near an open window with another fan blowing at the fish from the side. You are doing this to form a pellicle on the salmon, which helps it smoke properly. Don’t skip this step!

Traditionally salmon candy is cold smoked for several days. If you can do this, go for it. I use a Bradley digital 4-rack smoker, which takes a while to get hot. A Camp Chef Smoke Vault is another way to go, and it gets hotter much more quickly. Either way, you want to bring the temperature up gradually over the course of an hour or so and let it sit at around 180°F to 225°F for at least 3 hours, and up to 8 hours if you like your salmon candy harder and smokier.

Every 90 minutes to 2 hours, paint the salmon with the maple syrup. This also helps to remove any albumen — the icky white stuff — that can form between the fish flakes if your smoker gets a little too hot too fast.

When the salmon looks good and lacquered, typically about 4 hours, remove it to the drying racks again and paint it one last time with the maple syrup. Allow to cool to room temperature before storing. Salmon candy will last a week in the fridge, longer if vacuum sealed. It freezes well, too.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

FWIW: I just made my own beverage that I'm pretty pleased with. Zested 5 small lemons, then juiced the same (about 1/3 cup juice). Prepared a simple syrup (1-1/2 cups both sugar and water) with the zest included. Added about a cup of raspberry pulp and let steep. Once cooled to room temp, put in the lemon juice. Strained the whole thing to remove seeds. Filled a very tall glass with ice. Filled to about two inches with the raspberry/lemon syrup, and filled remained with cooled fizzy water. Very nice! Lots of deep raspberry pink and more raspberry flavor than lemon. I'm pleased. I'll use the pulp from my next batch for a shrub. Thanks everyone!

I have a tonne of seedy raspberry pulp after trying to de-seed a ton of raspberries we had frozen. I thawed them, and ran them though the juicer. It sort of worked, I still got seeds in the juice but not many and it's okay to overlook a few. But the seedy pulp seemed to be too much to compost without another try at making something out of it.

I'm going to try the drink above.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Queen K wrote:But the seedy pulp seemed to be too much to compost without another try at making something out of it.

Check your PM.

For anyone who has raspberry pulp and doesn't want to throw it out ... freeze in 1/2 cup portions and make these. Great for kids lunches, camping, snacks or hiking.

Chocolate Raspberry Granola Cookie Recipe

Dry Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup walnut or pecan pieces
1 cup sunflower seeds, preferably soaked and dehydrated, like the crispy nuts
1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt

Wet ingredients
1 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup warm honey
2 eggs
1/4 – 1/2 cup raspberry pulp reserved from juicing or making raspberry jelly
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients. Having all ingredients warm or at room temperature will help keep the coconut oil from firming up too soon and getting lumpy. Pour wet ingredients into dry. Blend well. If dough is too sticky, refrigerate to firm it up for easier handling.
Form into 1 – 1-1/2 inch balls and place evenly spaced on a cookie sheet. Flatten cookies slightly before baking. Cookies will spread only a small amount. Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are soft set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cookies will firm up as they cool.
Note: Makes around 40 large cookies (1-1/2 to 2 inch) or 60 smaller cookies (1 to 1-1/2 inch).
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

To remove seeds if you want seedless jams or jellies.

Place the raspberries into a food processor and blend until they are pureed or place into a bowl and mash them with a fork if you choose not to use a food processor. Hold a sieve over a second bowl and pour the mashed or pureed raspberries into the sieve. Mash the raspberries with a spoon to force the raspberry pulp and juices through into the bowl while the seeds remain in the sieve. Discard the seeds and you are done.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My removing raspberry seed saga started last night.

1. Use food processer to remove pulp from seeds.
2. See that there is a lot of pulp still stuck to seeds.
3. Refrigerate for the night right in the seed catcher. Don't even move them.
4. Take out the next day, gently heat the seeds and pulp with a tiny bit of water, not even 1/4 cup.
5. Get the idea to also use the Nurtra blender to further blend up heated seed/pulp mix and strain through the steel strainer. Use an ultra supple spatula, a stiff one would not have worked as well.
6. Do this for two hours, heating, blending, straining, using a spatula, making a huge red raspberry mess.
7. Eventually I got a huge outdoor bucket and started rinsing everything into it.
8. Adding tiny bits of extra water to the heated seedy pulp a little at a time helped the straining.
9. I got rid of millions of seeds. A few got through the mesh, but nothing like not doing it at all.
10. I now have raspberry liquid to make refreshing drinks.
11. Clean up ensued. Raspberry drops everywhere. Having a super thin flexible spatula made the job easy.
12. Buckets of essentially clean raspberry seed water got washed into the compost pile, very little went down the sink.
13. Now I'm sitting down.
xtrastuff

Post by xtrastuff »

I am searching for a good dough recipe for perogies. I have googled and tried a few but they were not very good. One of the recipes (like the one posted on this site) is great but it is hard to work with. No matter how long I let it rest as soon as I roll it out, the darn thing shrinks right back up. Maybe some "baba" has a good recipe to share.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

xtrastuff wrote:I am searching for a good dough recipe for perogies. I have googled and tried a few but they were not very good. One of the recipes (like the one posted on this site) is great but it is hard to work with. No matter how long I let it rest as soon as I roll it out, the darn thing shrinks right back up. Maybe some "baba" has a good recipe to share.

http://victoriafamilymeals.blogspot.ca/ ... dough.html
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
xtrastuff

Post by xtrastuff »

Thank you WeatherWoman...that recipe looks like it might work. I will give it a try next weekend :D
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Speaking of recipes, I've been researching apricot chutney recipes and only one thing stands out: none of them have consistent ingredients, so anything goes. Ginger is the one ingredient which seems to run through the majority of chutney recipes, but lots don't have fresh ginger. I hate mustards, so that is easy to eliminate. Geez.
xtrastuff

Post by xtrastuff »

Not sure what topic this question belongs under, but here it goes. I am canning apricot jam and yesterday I used 250ml jars, processed them in the boiling bath for 15 minues-not sure if that is too long or not. Today I am using 125ml jars and am unsure about how long to boil them for. Does anyone have any idea of boiling times for small jars like that? Maybe I am not looking in the right places online but can't find any guides to go by for these small jars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Apricot jam should be processed for 20-25 minutes or longer depending on altitude. Technically, there is no safe method of using a water bath for 125mL jars (these are for decorative purposes only) but use the same time as for larger jars and you should be fine.

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I use a pressure canner exclusively for all canning needs. It is the ONLY way to be sure that your food will be preserved properly. And I have canned EVERYTHING from fish to fruit/salsa for decades! Used to be that we could can stuff in the oven or in a boiling water bath, but now there are too many avenues for microbes (old and new) to flourish and it is foolish indeed to use 'old-fashioned' methods.

ETA: USE the instruction manual that comes with a pressure canner and DO NOT forget to calculate altitude in the processing time.
Chill

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”