Recipe Exchange

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Recipes

Post by Bpeep »

Possum Pie
If you have a possum lurking in your back yard, catch the little critter in a cage the night before you plan to make this pie.
Put him in a shady spot with some water because this is his Lucky Day.... Possum Pie is on the Way !

1 Young Live Possum
2 packages (3 oz each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust (9 inches)
1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans
1/3 Cup Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
1/4 Cup Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
2 Cups Cold Milk
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Whipping Cream, whipped
12 to 16 Pecan Halves

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
Spread onto bottom of pie crust.
Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
In another mixing bowl, combine pudding mixes.
Add milk and vanilla and beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
Spoon over the pecans.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Top with whipped cream and pecan halves.
Yield: 8 servings.

No, I didn't forget the little possum.
He should be real hungry by now so why not let him clean your mixing bowls for you ?
Then treat him to a slice of your delicious possum pie before you turn him loose !
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Can you replace the possom with raccoon?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
CareBear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CareBear »

Anyone have a recipe for left over turkey and stuffing? Perhaps a casserole or something.
Some days your the dog, other days your the hydrant.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Turkey Casserole
4 cups prepared turkey stuffing
2 cups cooked turkey, cubed or sliced
1-3/4 cups prepared turkey gravy, more to taste
1/3 cup cranberry sauce, cubed

Butter bottom and sides of 2-quart baking dish. Arrange half of the stuffing in bottom of dish. Add half of the turkey then half of the gravy. Repeat layers. Top with cubes of cranberry sauce. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

Note: Can add peas, beans, corn, mixed vegetables or what have you to the casserole.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Turkey a la King

Turkey, sliced
Onion
Celery
Peas (or whatever veggies you like)
gravy

Saute all of the above together in a pot, adding the gravy last after cooking a bit.
Simmer as long as you want minimum 20 min, even longer is better for flavour.
Pour over either Bread, Noodles or Stuffing.
Great way to finish up the last of the leftovers
Enjoy
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Chicken Christine

1c white vinegar
1c brown sugar
1 packet onion soup mix
Chicken thighs
mix all together in baking dish cover w tin foil bake 1 hr @ 375
uncover, flip chicken about, bake another 1/2 hr
serve over rice with french cut green beans
easy peasy
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

CareBear wrote:Anyone have a recipe for left over turkey and stuffing? Perhaps a casserole or something.

I'm a little late with this, but here ya go for when you do another turkey dinner.

I always throw together a turkey shepherds pie with the left overs from Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter dinner. I don't measure anything, just use what I have and eyeball it.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Throw in a bunch of shredded or cut up turkey, and any veg you have (I usually use corn, asparagus, carrots, and/or some mixed vegies). Liberally add some stuffing, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and sage and stir it around until combined. Pour lots of gravy all over, allowing it to soak in. Top with mashed potatoes, flatten with a fork and sprinkle some paprika over the top. Cover with foil and shove in the fridge for a delish meal the next day. Remove foil, pop it in a 350 degree oven, bottom rack and bake for about 30 minutes. Serve with more gravy over the top, left over buns and a nice side salad.

~D
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

I`m enjoying something new a friend of mine made for me yesterday.
I told her about a website I found earlier this week.
She baked me a loaf of bacon banana bread.
Amazing taste.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Best Meatloaf Ever.

Empty a package of low salt stove top stuffing into a big bowl. Add 3/4 cup hot water, a real healthy blast of Maggi seasoning, and one medium onion, grated. Stir until evenly moistened. Add one pound each lean ground pork and lean ground beef. Mix well. Place in an oiled loaf pan and bash it on the counter a few times to settle and compact the loaf. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half, pouring off accumulated fat once or twice. Let cool a while before slicing.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Smoky Green Salad With Creamy Almond Dressing
If you don't have pumpkin seeds, substitute your favourite kind of nut or seed. Toast pumpkin seeds in dry skillet over medium heat until golden. (This method works for any seed.) Simply omit the bacon to keep it vegetarian if you like.

4 slices double-smoked bacon or bacon
1 head red leaf lettuce, torn
6 cups lightly packed spinach leaves
4 oz. smoked gouda cheese, cubed
2 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
3 tbsp.. toasted pumpkin seeds

Creamy Almond Dressing:
3 tbsp. almond butter
2 tbsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. light-tasting olive oil or vegetable oil
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. liquid honey
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pinch salt

In skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until golden and crispy, 5-8 minutes; transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain. In large bowl, combine leaf lettuce, spinach, Gouda cheese, mushrooms and pumpkin seeds.

Creamy Almond Dressing: Whisk together almond butter, vinegar, oil, water, honey, paprika, pepper and salt until smooth. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Crumble bacon over top.

Warm Fava Bean and Dandelion Salad
While all parts of the dandelion plant are edible, the leaves are always the best. To prepare the greens, trim off root ends, rinse leaves well under cold running water and spin dry. If your grocer doesn’t stock dandelion greens, mix up this spinach-based salad with other bitter greens like arugula, which are wilted in a skillet with white wine and beans.

1 bunch dandelion greens, trimmed (about 10 oz. or 10 cups)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed
3 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
5 sprigs fresh oregano
1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1/3 cup white wine
1 can (19 oz.) fava beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
8 cups lightly packed baby spinach
4 tsp. balsamic vinegar

Place spinach in large bowl; set aside. Cut dandelion greens in half; set aside. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add prosciutto, oregano and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until prosciutto is crispy, about 4 minutes. Add dandelion greens; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in wine and beans; cover and cook until greens soften, about 5 minutes. Discard oregano. Let cool for 3 minutes. In large bowl, toss together spinach, vinegar and dandelion mixture.

Vegetarian Chef's Salad
Avocados and chickpeas replace the deli ham in this vegetarian chef's salad.

6 cups torn iceberg lettuce (about half head)
2 cups torn radicchio (about half head)
1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
4 radishes, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sliced cucumber
1/3 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1/2 cup rinsed drained canned chickpeas
3 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
1 large tomato, cut into 12 wedges
1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
2 oz. each Swiss and Cheddar cheese, julienned

Dressing
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tbsp. each minced dill pickle and extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. chili sauce
1-1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. each capers, minced, and Dijon mustard
pinch each salt and pepper

Dressing: In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, pickle, oil, chili sauce, lemon juice, capers, mustard, salt and pepper.

In large bowl, toss together lettuce, radicchio, sprouts, radishes, cucumber, onion and half of the dressing; arrange on 4 large plates. Top with chickpeas, eggs, tomato, avocado and Swiss and Cheddar cheeses; spoon remaining dressing over top.

Spinach Steak and Mushroom Salad
1 lb. grilling strip loin steaks, 1" thick cut
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups mushrooms, halved
1 minced clove garlic
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 bag (6 oz.) baby spinach
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions

Creamy Horseradish Dressing
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. prepared horseradish
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Creamy Horseradish Dressing: In bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, horseradish, salt and pepper.

Season steak with half each of the salt and pepper. Place on greased grill or in grill pan over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until medium-rare, about 8 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms, garlic, thyme and remaining salt and pepper until no liquid remains and mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes. Divide spinach among 4 plates. Divide mushrooms, steak and onion over top; drizzle with dressing.

Russian Salad
4 large beets, optional
3 potatoes, peeled
2 white turnips, peeled
3 carrots
2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
1 cucumber
6 oz. sliced ham
1 head Bibb or Romaine lettuce
4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill

Dressing:
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
3/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper

In large pot of boiling water, cook beets (if using) until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool; slip off skins. Cut into cubes. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes and turnips for 10 minutes. Add carrots; cook, covered, until vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to ice water and chill; drain well. Add cauliflower to pot; cook until tender-crisp, 2-5 minutes. Drain and chill in ice water; drain well. Cube potatoes and turnips. Halve carrots lengthwise. Peel cucumber; cut lengthwise into quarters and remove seeds. Cut carrots and cucumber crosswise on bias into 1/2" thick slices. Cut ham (if using) into thin strips.

Dressing: In large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, 3 tbsp. (45 mL) of the chives, the horseradish, salt and pepper. Add potatoes, turnips, carrots, cauliflower and cucumber; stir to coat well.

Trim and separate lettuce into leaves; line shallow serving bowl. Top with vegetable mixture. Arrange eggs, beets and ham over top; sprinkle with dill and remaining chives.

Updated Chicken Caesar
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 lb.
4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. Montreal steak spice
2 heads Romaine lettuce hearts
1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 anchovy fillets, minced
1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper

In bowl, toss chicken with half of the oil and the steak spice; let stand for 10 minutes. In large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken, turning once, until golden brown and no longer pink inside, 8-10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice crosswise. Meanwhile, trim end of each lettuce, leaving core attached. Quarter each head lengthwise through core.

Vinaigrette: In bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, vinegar, anchovies, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange 2 lettuce quarters on each plate; top with chicken. Drizzle with vinaigrette; sprinkle with Parmesan.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Romaine and Cabbage Salad With Greek Yogurt Dressing
While most Greek salads are simply dressed with lemon and olive oil, we add Greek-style yogurt and a few untraditional add-ins for a twist on the familiar classic.

8 cups torn Romaine lettuce
2-1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 Cubanelle pepper or sweet green pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
4 green onions, finely chopped
3 tbsp. sunflower seeds
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Greek Yogurt Dressing:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. dried Greek oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper

Greek Yogurt Dressing: Stir together yogurt, oil, feta cheese, dill, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and pepper; set aside.

In large bowl, combine romaine, tomatoes, cabbage, Cubanelle pepper, fennel, green onions and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over top; toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta.

metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Fluffy
I made two pans of your Turkey stuffing meatloaf, added a few things I like and we really enjoyed it. Looking forward to Meatloaf sandwiches for work tomorrow. Thanks!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Is it possible for people to post pictures they took of their recipes? Without pictures, its just a bunch of words with no visual. I am a visual cook - if something looks good, I'll try that recipe, but without a pic, I don't even bother to read it.

Cooks.com has what I am sure are fabulous recipes, but there's not one picture on the site so I never go there for cooking ideas. Same here. Am sure they are great recipes, but without a picture, I have no idea what I am supposed to be trying to make.

Or ... y'all can just ignore me. That's okay, too. Just sayin', is all.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

That's a good idea, gramma. I'll get myself a picture next time I make the following:

Salmon ala Charles (I usually use trout instead of salmon)

- 5 pieces (large) of salmon or whitefish.
- Spice with your favourite spices
- Bake in casserole pan or pan fry until cooked.
- Place in large baking pan.
- Chop up 1 cup of parsley or cilantro.
- Slice up 2 cups of scallions (long way).
- Slice up 3/4 cup of ginger (long way).

- Mix together
--- 1 cup soy sauce.
--- 2 tbsp chili sauce.
--- 2 tsp sesame seed oil.
--- 2 tbsp honey.

- Heat 1 cup canola oil until smoking hot (I usually use sunflower or grape seed oil).
- Lay cilantro, scallion, and ginger on the fish.
- Pour soy sauce mixture on top.
- Pour smoking hot oil across the fish and then baste the fish with the mixture.

- Serve over rice.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Late night snack:

Beer
Potato chips
Peanuts
Combine after ingesting.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”