Smoked Foods

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Smoked Foods

Post by LANDM »

BriTer wrote:Good morning world! :)
https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedFood/v ... 782286781/
Screenshot (27).jpg

OMG that looks good. I am on a diet that restricts all that I see in that picture in support of a family member who must be on such diet for specific health reasons.
But, it looks good!
You and 71 others Like this post
knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

butterball turkey at superstore for 1.50/lb
have one in the smoker now
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Any tips on smoking a turkey ? Would like to try it this weekend.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

How big is it?
Brine for 24 hours
. The brine can be as simple as 2 cups of salt in 2 gallons of water or you can spend more on the brine than you did the turkey.
After the brine, rinse well. Use a rub if you wiush, or not. Smoke at 250 for 'about' 5 hours, but don't cook to TIME, cook to internal temp of breast, 165F
Some folks smoke at a temp of as high as 350F untill done. Pick a way, anything you don't like, you change up your game plan next time around :)
Last edited by BriTer on Oct 7th, 2015, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

knoet2007 wrote:butterball turkey at superstore for 1.50/lb
have one in the smoker now

How did you prep it? Rub/brine/temp/wood type/etc etc. Did you get pics of the finished product?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

DON'T buy a butterball!! It has a fat product injected into body areas (under the wings, between the thigh and breast and next to the keel bone which melt out when roasting or BBQ (or smoking) and (as far as I am concerned), gives an undesirable taste to the end product.
Chill
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

BriTer wrote:How big is it?
Brine for 24 hours
. The brine can be as simple as 2 cups of salt in 2 gallons of water or you can spend more on the brine than you did the turkey.
After the brine, rinse well. Use a rub if you wiush, or not. Smoke at 250 for 'about' 5 hours, but don't cook to TIME, cook to internal temp of breast, 165F
Some folks smoke at a temp of as high as 350F untill done. Pick a way, anything you don't like, you change up your game plan next time around :)

Thanks, what wood did you use for the smoke ?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

driveangry wrote: Thanks, what wood did you use for the smoke ?

I used a combo of woods, just because I had some I wanted to get rid of.
Hickory is nice as is pecan, a popular wood for poultry. Cherry will also add a really nice color to the bird. Whatever wood you use won't be wrong. Unless you use mesquite lol
Get a notebook, write down everything you do, like time, temp etc etc.
That way if there's something you want to change it makes it a bit easier and you'll remember everything you did.
Oh! Take pics and post them!! :)
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

.....and a big P.S. here. Don't smoke for the entire cooking time. Meats will take on smoke flavor for about 4 hours only, or an internal temp of about 140F. After that you're liable to end up with a bitter smoke. Smoking meats is a combination of heat for cooking and of course the smoke.
.....then again there are exceptions :/
knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

I cut up the turkey.
put it in Brine (cup or more salt, 2 cups of vinegar and other spices if you like, some sugar) find a big pan, throw the brine in there and fill up to 1/4 of the pan with water. the whole turkey should barely fit in the pan, or if the pan is bigger fill the pan so the turkey is just covered. (excluding carcass/back that is left over after I cut off the breast)
Let sit for 24 hrs or so.
Put everything in the smoker. I also put in the carcass to make smoked turkey soup in the slow cooker later.
I put shoulders and the breast with the skin down so hopefully as little as possible of the moisture escapes.
I smoke it for 3- 3 1/2 hrs depending on temp.
I try to keep it at about 200F and smoke for the first 2 1/2 hrs.
I mainly use cherry and apple due to the abundance of it, some hickory or mesquite if I have it.
I soak a couple of pieces in water, couple in alu foil and a couple dry. put half in there and half an hr later or so and voila....
But I use a weber mountain smoker. fill the pan about 1/4 with water and put alu foil on top of it to catch the drippings.
All the above works for me after about 8 birds of trying, but a different smoker might need some adjustments.
knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

well? did any one smoke a bird?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I ended up BBQing mine - if I didn't have my parents coming I'd have tried it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

2370843-1-1.jpg

Can't believe no one got to this before I did. 22.5" Weber kettle in Castanet classifieds. One of the best kettle grills made and also very popular for smoking. Used no more than a half dozen times, a box that came with it included a roast rack that flips over and doubles as a rib rack, another rack with drip pan, unused, an electric starter I may never use, a very nice pair of oven mitts lol, half a bag of charcoal. Oh! And a string of Christmas lights. ???
Got it for $20, sells for $150 new.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Hoping to fire it up today for pseudo Chinese sticky ribs. With a twist. Smoking them first. I'll post pics later.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

'Tis the season! About 225 smoker temp and cook to an internal temp of about 140. It's already cooked so all you want to do is add smoke, and heat to eating temperature :) Pretty much any store bought 'ham' will do and takes smoke nicely. If anyone here hasn't tried it, double smoked ham will become a big favorite! Google 'double smoked' or 'Twice smoked ham' You'll find lots of ideas also for glazes.

knoet2007 wrote:nooo no pics, sorry. No glaze or anything. Just threw it on with most of the fatty parts on upper side.
temperature was a bit high but it was very sunny. I tried to keep it at 200F (there we go again- go metric pffff) but mostly approaching 250.
hickory, cherry wood
I think or get the impression that lower temperatures are better to get the smoke in deeper and with pre cooked ham that would be a good thing.
I'm new at this :)

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”