Smoked Foods

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
BriTer
Guru

Re: Smoked Foods

Post by BriTer »

You repainting it also? If so, scrape off the loose paint, sand with a fine sandpaper. The sandpaper is to take the 'gloss' off where you will overlap on the remaining paint, otherwise it may not bond. Give it a good cleanup befor painting :)
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

BriTer wrote:a bit dry.... did you seal it in tinfoil the last hour? and did you leave it no longer than the specified time? you used a meat thermometer?

No, figured since we were eating it later I would crisp it and warm it at the same time on the grill. No one else called it dry, and I don't really think it was. Yeah, used a meat thermometer, but after I pulled it off the grill 'cause mine has a cord to a plastic unit.

I probably will end up painting the smoker, do I have to do it before I use it again?
I haven't failed until I quit.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Lady tehMa wrote:
BriTer wrote:a bit dry.... did you seal it in tinfoil the last hour? and did you leave it no longer than the specified time? you used a meat thermometer?

No, figured since we were eating it later I would crisp it and warm it at the same time on the grill. No one else called it dry, and I don't really think it was. Yeah, used a meat thermometer, but after I pulled it off the grill 'cause mine has a cord to a plastic unit.

I probably will end up painting the smoker, do I have to do it before I use it again?

Nope, it'll be fine :) Just keep it out of the rain and it shouldn't rust.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

*whew* thanks BriTer! I was worried about that's 'cause I won't have time for a while, and then it will probably be too cold, so I'm pleased I'll be able to use it through the winter. You and 'babe have gotten me hooked I tell you!
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

If its going to be a while before you paint the exposed surfaces it might be an idea to put some oil on it to help prevent rusting :)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I will do that BriTer, thanks. Unless this cold disappears I won't be smoking any food this weekend :(

Asthma: can handle the smoke exposure only when the lungs are good and right now they are NOT.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

I've just heard something really upsetting from a friend back East.
Pork side ribs can usually be found on sale for 99 cents a lb., Montreal area :(
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Getting back in business folks. I'm in the midst of converting my Brinkmann to propane fired. Looks like I have everything I need so shouldn't be much longer.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Lady tehMa wrote:I will do that BriTer, thanks. Unless this cold disappears I won't be smoking any food this weekend :(

Asthma: can handle the smoke exposure only when the lungs are good and right now they are NOT.

How's it going?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

It is going well - I think we must be on the same wavelength because I was planning on smoking something this weekend!

I had loaned out my smoker and got it back a while ago, but I still need to clean it good before smoking something. Garden has been interfering a bit as I need to get my plants in.
kampsite

Post by kampsite »

Let me know if you cook on a traeger
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

kampsite, you use a Traeger?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

The title of the thread has since been changed from the original and should now read 'Smoked Foods'.
So, whatcha all been up to?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

desktop.jpg

Smoked Turkey Soup.
I used a store smoked turkey drum and wasn't happy with it so put it in the smoker for a few hours using apple wood. This is a 'wing it' recipe in regards to quantities.
About 1.5 lb smoked turkey
About 2 quarts water.
Simmer the meat for about an hour, remove from broth and de bone etc. Discard the skin as smoked fowl has rubbery skin.
Add meat back to broth with carrots, celery and onion and simmer for about an hour.
The only seasoning I added was a bit of pepper and sage. The smoked turkey is already seasoned.
For those that don't like turkey soup, you may like this variation.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Going to be experimenting with a small cold smoke on the ECB later. Cheese, eggs, store bought 'smoked' turkey leg and whatever else I stumble across between now and then. Present temp is just under 13 and almost 2 am. I expect it will go up by the time I'm ready. Hopefully the damn camera is working :/

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”