Local boy on Canada's Worst Driver

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Local boy on Canada's Worst Driver

Post by Ken7 »

CoconutBreath wrote:where's the old men with hats & the blu-hairs, who can't see over the sterring wheel & go 30k in a 60k zone with a blaze-trail of cars behind them, on the show?

Kelowna would win there hands down.

I met a "Blue Hair" the other day, and I asked.

"So what were you doing before you ran into the back of my car?" Her reply was, "the other cars were moving so I thought you would too!" I'd have to guess you're correct she was doing all of 30 kms when she hit me.

No joke, sitting five cars back at a red light on Hwy 33, she drills me and pushes me ahead two or three feet.
JoePlanner
Fledgling

Post by JoePlanner »

Ken7 wrote:
CoconutBreath wrote:where's the old men with hats & the blu-hairs, who can't see over the sterring wheel & go 30k in a 60k zone with a blaze-trail of cars behind them, on the show?

Kelowna would win there hands down.

I met a "Blue Hair" the other day, and I asked.

"So what were you doing before you ran into the back of my car?" Her reply was, "the other cars were moving so I thought you would too!" I'd have to guess you're correct she was doing all of 30 kms when she hit me.

No joke, sitting five cars back at a red light on Hwy 33, she drills me and pushes me ahead two or three feet.

Yeah I don't get the reverence for older drivers, either. They're not inherently good. They tend to be the same old crappy drivers that haunt the Okanagan, just older, more likely to be confused, and slower to react to danger or unanticipated events. If you have to drive 30 km/h in order to feel that you can adequately react and control your vehicle, you should not be driving anymore. Everyone on here seems to harp on about speeders, but to my mind in Kelowna speed is not the issue - it's simple inattentiveness and not treating driving as a serious activity. It's just as dangerous going too slowly than too quickly. Anything that significantly deviates from what the normal flow of traffic is doing is dangerous (to a point, don't extend this argument to ridiculous extremes, you know that's not what I mean). Going too slowly causes accidents just as easily as going too quickly (though the severity and potential for injury is not the same). Going 40 km/h in a 60 is way more dangerous than just going 70 and keeping up with traffic flow.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ENTERTAINMENT

Is Canada's worst driver in Kelowna?
by Rob Balsdon - Story: 82239
Oct 23, 2012 / 12:00 pm

Photo: Contributed
Klyne and host Andrew Younghusband
Kelowna might just have Canada’s worst driver and when season 8 of the hit show premieres on Discovery Channel on October 29th we will get closer to finding out.

Klyne Postnikoff will represent K-town this season and for good reason since at only 18-years-old he has already written off 2 cars, had his license suspended and has caused 10 accidents. His speed and carelessness are a source of constant concern for his mother, Maureen who is worried that her son might die behind the wheel.

Even with all her fears Maureen still helps Klyne out when he gets into traffic troubles by covering the costs of his 'wreckless' ways, but enough was enough, as Maureen is actually the one who nominated him for the show and it would appear justifiably so as he made it onto the season 8 cast.

Castanet caught up with Maureen to ask her about the experience of being on Canada’s Worst Driver and what, if anything, Klyne learned from the experience.

C: Can you explain a bit about why you think Klyne might be Canada’s worst driver?

M: I nominated him because he wrote-off my van and the car we bought for him, within the first 2 months of getting his license. He was picked out of 1000 nominees, so that should explain something. But I did it with the hope that he would learn how to be a safer driver.

Photo: Contributed
Maureen, Klyne and Host Andrew Younghusband
C: Was the show a competitive atmosphere or did everyone get along well?

M: The atmosphere was great and hot. It attracts a very interesting group of characters and this season is no different. It was way more stressful than I thought it would be, but with all those different personalities everyone got along for the most part.

C: What was the most enjoyable part of filming the show?

M: Meeting all of the drivers and their nominators and spending 16 hours a day with a very interesting group of people. Not to mention watching my son come to the realization that he might not be as good as he thought he was. It was also fun to see that no one that was nominated thought they were that bad, until the first day of challenges.

C: What was the most TERRIFYING part of filming?

M: Being in the car with my son for 10 days and crashing all of those cars. I have never been in a head-on-collision until then. And it was many days of crashing.

C: How do you think you would have done on the show if you had to do some of the challenges that Klyne did?

M: All of the challenges were tough, I am afraid to admit that some of them I might not have done as well as he did, but some I would have done better.

C: With the show finished recording now, I know you can’t share any results, but would you say Klyne improved at all behind the wheel?

M: His father says yes, I am still afraid to drive with him and he hates me in his car.

C: What sort of emotions or feelings are you having as the season premiere approaches?

M: Excited and scared, not sure what they are going to do to us in editing. I really am nice, but might come off as difficult in the show.

I've seen Maureen at Train Wreck Comedy, she's actually quite funny.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Pookybear wrote:I agree with you but with the snow coming it is hardly just older people that drive white knuckled at 30kms for zero reason. I dread driving in the winter with all the crappy, scared drivers.
What amazes me the most with this situation is ICBC hasnt pulled his license. At his age he still must be a N driver or at least was during one of his 10 accidents.When this loser finally does hurt or kill someone the family should be sued for all they are worth as well as ICBC for allowing him to be on the road. I digress, in our society we allow stupidity to florish and even give it it's 15 minutes of fame. Wonder if the Mom is really worried or just wanted to get a bit more attention for her own career. Pretty sad.

:rate10: It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that Mommy Dear is enabling her spoiled brat's behaviour if not downright encouraging it. That's bad enough all by itself, but if she's actually trying to profit from it, well, I'll get censored if I say what I think about that.

When, not if, this young punk eventually kills or maims someone, watch how quickly Mommy distances herself from her self-centered spawn.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Verminator wrote:
Pookybear wrote:I agree with you but with the snow coming it is hardly just older people that drive white knuckled at 30kms for zero reason. I dread driving in the winter with all the crappy, scared drivers.
What amazes me the most with this situation is ICBC hasnt pulled his license. At his age he still must be a N driver or at least was during one of his 10 accidents.When this loser finally does hurt or kill someone the family should be sued for all they are worth as well as ICBC for allowing him to be on the road. I digress, in our society we allow stupidity to florish and even give it it's 15 minutes of fame. Wonder if the Mom is really worried or just wanted to get a bit more attention for her own career. Pretty sad.

:rate10: It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that Mommy Dear is enabling her spoiled brat's behaviour if not downright encouraging it. That's bad enough all by itself, but if she's actually trying to profit from it, well, I'll get censored if I say what I think about that.

When, not if, this young punk eventually kills or maims someone, watch how quickly Mommy distances herself from her self-centered spawn.

And the guy who has one beer with a steak sandwich is the focus of the law enfocement effort...

thats the sad part..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

CoconutBreath wrote:
kumazatheef wrote:Yeah, cause 30km/hr often results in totaling vehicles, whereas excessive speeding is flawless, right?

Dare you to ask those old men how many of them have caused 10 accidents in 2 years. That's almost an accident every other month ... that's more frequent than an oil change. Could be a new promo: get your oil changed and your dents repaired!!

YES..old men w/hats & blu-hairs DO cause accidents. Cuz drivers get annoyed & try to pass on the right on single lane traffic. Do your homework

Hahaha! I would enjoy watching that one argued before a judge or ICBC ... "It's not my fault I hit that parked car, it was in my way!!"
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

So this mother still thinks her son is a bad driver and won't drive with him...but it's ok for him to be driving like an idiot on the road?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I think the opinion about the old dudes with caps and the blu hairs is a little skewed. 99.9% of them don't fit the stereotype you are giving them. But you have to remember, they are retired. Their days of being in a hurry are behind them so they are quite content to drive along at the speed limit or a little over and get to their destination when they get there. As to those who get frustrated getting stuck behind one of them; whats the hurry? Its less than 15 minutes to get anywhere in Kelowna and besides, the lights in this town are timed so poorly that even if you get around Granny and race away, chances are she pulls in behind you while you are waiting at the next red light. And the next. And the next.....
I moved here from Calgary 4 years ago and I used to get very aggrevated (sp?) driving around Kelowna until I decided to take it down a notch. I'l do better than the speed limit but as I noted above, the lights just stop you anyways. Amazing how my stress came down.
Another note; I live on a fairly busy street. When I sit on my deck I can look down and see the drivers flying up and down a residential street that has many, including mine, children living on it. And I am blown away by how many people are using their phones. So it would be my guess, that many of the posters on this thread that are saying what an abonimation this kid is are as quilty as he is when it comes to bad driving practices.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Ali Gator wrote:So this mother still thinks her son is a bad driver and won't drive with him...but it's ok for him to be driving like an idiot on the road?

Of course. That's how we parent these days. We don't say "no" and take the keys away and make them pay for their own stupidity. We help them be stupider and enable them to go forth and kill and/or maim someone else, give them another vehicle to destroy and pay all their fines for them.

In a perfect world this kid will only take himself out and will have done us all a favour by making the roads safer.

And then all his friends and family will boohoo and start a FB page saying how wonderful he was.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Doesn't surprize me at all that ICBC hasn't pulled his license, since it has nothing to do with ICBC.

The TD Bank hasn't pulled it either, for the exact same reason, it has nothing to do with them.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

my5cents wrote:
Doesn't surprize me at all that ICBC hasn't pulled his license, since it has nothing to do with ICBC.

The TD Bank hasn't pulled it either, for the exact same reason, it has nothing to do with them.

:coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing:

Well done!! hahahahaha
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for him. Then again with that hair it won't be hard to spot this one.

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/castList.aspx?sid=28780
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Wait a minute....Mommy Dear bought him a PORSCHE??? :runforlife:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Verminator wrote:Wait a minute....Mommy Dear bought him a PORSCHE??? :runforlife:

Trade it in and get him a Vespa, that'll slow him down!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Verminator wrote:Wait a minute....Mommy Dear bought him a PORSCHE??? :runforlife:

LOL - yeah, she did. Guess she doesn't like him much and is wanting him killed off.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”