Sweet Christinas gluten free bakery

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Sweet Christinas gluten free bakery

Post by dodgerdodge »

Anyone have any idea why this place that opened on Asher road has now closed for good?
It was great to have a local gluten free bakery baking fresh goods and they were really tasty and i myself am not keen on the average gluten free stuff. Fresh baked french bread and artisan loaves, a good selection of cakes and recently she made some fruitcake for the Christmas run up and it too was great.
2 weeks ago they had some minor renos done in the small store and now today the sign says "closed permanently thanks for your custom" Seems very sudden and no warning it was coming.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Sweet Christinas gluten free bakery

Post by Bpeep »

The bakery probably ran outta dough.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
doughboy251

Post by doughboy251 »

not much call for a gluten free only bakery, which sucks because I am also trying to eat gluten free. Marmalade Cafe on Pandosy does sell gluten free products and they are actually very good, but that is the only one I know of now
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I wish I knew they existed.
Sad. I woulda supported them.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Sunshine Market sells a bunch of gluten free stuff (pasta, pizza crusts, sausages, awesome baking, etc). Not a massive selection but a decent one for sure.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

dodgerdodge wrote:Anyone have any idea why this place that opened on Asher road has now closed for good?
It was great to have a local gluten free bakery baking fresh goods and they were really tasty and i myself am not keen on the average gluten free stuff. Fresh baked french bread and artisan loaves, a good selection of cakes and recently she made some fruitcake for the Christmas run up and it too was great.
2 weeks ago they had some minor renos done in the small store and now today the sign says "closed permanently thanks for your custom" Seems very sudden and no warning it was coming.

I had no idea this was even there! O.o
I haven't failed until I quit.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

not much call for a gluten free only bakery, which sucks because I am also trying to eat gluten free. Marmalade Cafe on Pandosy does sell gluten free products and they are actually very good, but that is the only one I know of now

There is a strong demand for quality GF products. Approximately 1% of our population is Celiac where gluten is life threatening. Another 6% to 10% has Gluten intolerance (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity)
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glute ... search.htm
The reaction to gluten is problematic. Countless others are doing their best to avoid gluten.
There is a place for a good quality gluten free bakery. There are so many others grains or seed which can be used for baked goods besides rice flour and tapioca starch which are the leading ingrediants in many breads on the shelf today because they are inexpensive.
Quality grains such as Quinoa, Amaranth, flax, and chia seeds are much more expensive and also have a shortyer shelf life so GF baked goods are best consumed the same day or frozen to preserve their goodness.
A GF bakery needs to be 100% gluten free so that there is no possibility of cross contamination. So no gluten containing products can be used in the same facility, thus cutting down on the available market for theGF bakery.
With less than 10% of customers demanding GF products some resellers may not want to carry a product with a short shelf life of low demand. A business needs to sell to enough costomers to pay all the bills and sustain the owner operator. It takes more than one person to run a business like a GF bakery. So if the bakery in Rutland did not have adequate funding and sales to support the enterprise then it was just a case of sooner or later failure. Rent and suppliers need to be paid or eventually you are out.
http://celiacandthebeast.com/2013/09/in ... hs-busted/
Waste not
petspal
Fledgling

Post by petspal »

I am not on a gluten free diet but when I was in the new Bulk Barn ( where Swiss Calet used to be) it seemed like they had quite a few products there......GREAT store by the way, if you can't find what you are looking for there you won't find it anywhere
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

We so need a gluten free bakery. I am on GF due to intolerance/sensitivity and need wheat, rye, barley etc free baked goods. I do know the Matterhorn in West Kelowna has GF, but you have to get there early to get anything it sells out fast.

Would love a good Xmas cake... If I had known about them I too would have used their services. It's like restaurants I go online to look at the menu before we go so I know what is gluten free. Chops Steakhouse if you tell the server you want GF the manage comes out to look after you. Keg is also good.
vancity604
Fledgling

Post by vancity604 »

LOL
Attachments
Gluten free.jpg
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

southernfrau wrote:We so need a gluten free bakery. I am on GF due to intolerance/sensitivity and need wheat, rye, barley etc free baked goods. I do know the Matterhorn in West Kelowna has GF, but you have to get there early to get anything it sells out fast.

Would love a good Xmas cake... If I had known about them I too would have used their services. It's like restaurants I go online to look at the menu before we go so I know what is gluten free. Chops Steakhouse if you tell the server you want GF the manage comes out to look after you. Keg is also good.

Yes its a shame. Many people didn't know of its existence and since the wheat belly book came out there has been a rush of people yearning for gluten free stuff to help them with their general health and fitness yet it is the celiacs who MUST have gluten free and have no alternative options who desperately need stores like this. Too many places say they do "gluten free" and when you enquire it seems they produce the goods in a regular kitchen with other wheat based items and sit them next to one another in open shelving. Fine for those that choose the gluten free diet but useless for those with severe sensitivity.
My other half has been celiac for years and whilst it is getting much better now it can still be an issue when choosing to eat out or just shopping for reasonably priced nice tasting stuff. Milestones and Swiss Chalet both seem to cater well and if you like chinese then Mekong on Harvey is brilliant.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I am not sure of all they offer but I do know Bliss Bakery offers GF items.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

There is a little gluten free bakery in Penticton. It's called Just Pies and Serious Breads ... very good selection. They will ship Greyhound anywhere in the valley. No website .. you have to call: They are open Tuesday - Saturday 11 -5 - 250-490-3341.
I just shipped a couple of boxes of bread to some friends up in Vernon who couldn't find gluten free bread. Owners are very nice.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

TreeGuy wrote:I am not sure of all they offer but I do know Bliss Bakery offers GF

This is just one example of how NOT to offer gluten free for those that seriously need it.
Bliss DO NOT have a "gluten free" kitchen they make all their items with gluten free ingredients in their normal facilities so they are not suitable for celiacs only those that choose to remove wheat from their diet. When we questioned it the owner was a little off and said "oh no you couldn't eat them if you are a celiac"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

southy wrote:There is a little gluten free bakery in Penticton. It's called Just Pies and Serious Breads ... very good selection. They will ship Greyhound anywhere in the valley. No website .. you have to call: They are open Tuesday - Saturday 11 -5 - 250-490-3341.
I just shipped a couple of boxes of bread to some friends up in Vernon who couldn't find gluten free bread. Owners are very nice.

I don't know if this place has changed but i thought that when we tried some product a few years back it was basically wheat free NOT gluten free as they were using spelt flour which is ok for wheat allergies but no good for celiacs with severe gluten intolerence, i would be interested if that is changed now.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”