Kelowna Radio - On air personalities

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
blurred_lines

Kelowna Radio - On air personalities

Post by blurred_lines »

Has anyone else noticed the revolving door at the local radio stations lately? Who is next coming thru the door and going On- Air?

I didn't listen to The Juice much, but liked Christy Farrell. So when she jumped over to Power, I was happy. Then after months of what I thought was a pretty decent afternoon show......GONE.

Ron Gilmore has also packed it in (family reasons I know), but he'll be missed.

At first the John and Liz show on Power was good, but that too got a bit old after awhile.

I'm not much of a SunFm fan, but obviously they've got a new morning show crew since their 2 stars went to Vancouver.

Makes you wonder how long time morning radio show hosts "Larry and Willy" in Vancouver did it for so many years with such success (I know they eventually went to JackFM).

Perhaps Kelowna is the WHL of radio personalities, and after years of training and nurturing the big names move on to the big markets. That's unfortunate, but just part of the process I guess.

Now back to my regularly scheduled Sirius Satellite Radio show....
If you can't hear what I'm tryin' to say...If you can't read from the same page...Maybe I'm going deaf...Maybe I'm going blind...Maybe I'm outta my mind.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna Radio - On Air personalities

Post by Swoop »

...you left out David and Tony over at 96.3 - long time Kelowna on air personalities...also at that same station is Dave Pears, who must be going on at least 40 years on air in Kelowna...remember him way back at CKIQ 1150 in the late 70's...course, that was the stellar times that saw the likes of Marty Cullen and Bob Harrison at CKOV63 alongside John Michaels, then there was Steve Woodman at what was once CHIM FM - now Power104...ah, the "good ol' days"...but yes, the current on air market has seemed like a bit of a revolving door of late...not much "talent" to speak of - although it fits with what's being played and rolled out as musical substance these days...btw, "Willy" of the Larry & Willy show is now over at Rock 101.1 in Vancouver since "brother" Jake left the helm there last fall - and it's now a shadow of what that station once was...

...some great history here:

http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index.html
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Sorry to hear Ron Gilmore is leaving. I don't listen to terrestrial radio anymore, but on those rare occasions when I forgot to put the ipod in the car I'd always chuckle and think "wow, he's still there after all these years!"
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Terrestrial radio is DEAD.

Just prolonging the inevitable. The only thing keeping it alive are businesses that get advertising discounts to keep it on a certain station all day. People who are "allowed" to listen to "work safe" muzak all day. Oh joy.

How many times does one hear "classic rock" before "classic" becomes "overplayed"? Here's "yet another" AC/DC track! 10th one today!

Give me free, streaming commercial free internet radio. Hear a "repeat" maybe once a week.
Last edited by Atomoa on May 20th, 2014, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I remember as a kid listening late at night with a transistor on my ear to KGO 810AM talk radio from San Francisco.

Those were the days!
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

AM "Neocon" talk radio is the norm now. The states is horrible for it.

Speaking into a microphone and voices coming out of a box, soothing the greyhairs, reflecting about days gone by and kids these days with their haircuts!

Rush Limbaugh.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Since Kevin & Sonia left I switched over to Q103 and like them more than SunFm. They have a good morning show & more music variety than SunFm (same music style but they don't play the same tune 50x a day).

On weekends I prefer listening to Ryan Seacrest top 40 on SunFm though.

As for revolving employees, no surprise here as I don't know anyone who last a long time working for B _ _ _ because B _ _ _ is H E L L.

I also remember back in the days, after Kevin & Sonia show was done it was Susan Knight for a little while.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

matai wrote:Since Kevin & Sonia left.

This can't be a coincidence... The station I listen to down here in Vancouver just started two new announcers... Kevin and Sonia.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Liquidnails wrote:
This can't be a coincidence... The station I listen to down here in Vancouver just started two new announcers... Kevin and Sonia.

...one and the same...
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I remember the days when djs actually played what they wanted to play. The results were we had a very cool and diverse listening experience. I am so glad that I stream via bluetooth my own music collection now. You can try to dress up the same old crap or top 40 same old crap formula all you want with on air personalities, its still crap and a declining one at that.

My advice to any thinking of getting in that business, don't think long term.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Brenky

Post by Brenky »

At least you guys GET radio stations to choose from in Kelowna.

Penticton is nice if you want to listen to lite rock and country, but I for one would kill to listen to Power 104, K963 and The Juice in my car again...
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

I agree with other posters - OTA radio is going through its death throes. Kelowna is a classic example; several stations playing canned music that are indistinguishable from each other.

Satellite in the car and internet streaming at home (or in the car, too) are the only ways to go.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Revolving door for sure. Juice just changed back to decent music from a recent change to crap music, so started listening happily again...then some guy named Lou comes on, and has the personality of a 3 minute egg! What gives?? Just like the Power 104 morning show...just constant uh uh uh uh laughing from the 2 4 year olds trying to be funny. What ever happened to the good guys we used to know and love?? Oh wait...I know....they're not allowed to be themselves, they have to play what is told to be played, and say what is supposed to be said. There was a time when radio personalities were able to do their own schtick, and I really enjoyed that. But like the doe doe....everything good must come to an end!
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Kelowna Radio - On air personalities

Post by jimmy4321 »

I haven't listened to local radio in a good 7yrs. First Sirius, now just online for a couple years. The ads don't turn me off cause some stations I listen to online run as many ads but I get whatever content I want either live or podcast.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

EdCase wrote:I agree with other posters - OTA radio is going through its death throes. Kelowna is a classic example; several stations playing canned music that are indistinguishable from each other.

Satellite in the car and internet streaming at home (or in the car, too) are the only ways to go.

X2 for sirius, local radio is garbage, it's like finger nails on a chalkboard, after having sirius for several years I can't stand anything else.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”