Is rotisserie chicken almost past expiry date?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Is rotisserie chicken almost past expiry date?

Post by Thinktank »

Rotisserie chickens have been around for a while. I used to bypass them and roast my own, until I noticed something: The rotisserie chickens were actually cheaper than buying and roasting my own.

Cat Vasko noticed the same thing and decided to figure out why. The answer makes a surprising amount of sense: Grocery stores make them out of unsold chicken that is about to pass its expiration date. It’s an elegant way to make a profit out of food that would otherwise be a net loss. And it’s not just chicken -- according to Vasko, the ever-expanding prepared-foods section of the supermarket uses up all sorts of unsold produce and meat. It is, as she says, a bit like hunter-gatherers using every inch of the animal.

This is the sort of thing that no one talks about when they talk about innovation --and yet, it’s a major way in which our economy has become more efficient over the last few decades. Reducing spoilage means grocery stores can sell us raw chickens at lower prices -- and that we can get fresh, delicious prepared food at even lower prices. It’s a win for the grocer and the consumer.

So the next time you hear someone talk about the innovation economy, don’t just think of Facebook or Google. The folks who spit-roast chickens, streamline factory production, or think up any of a million ways to save a little money here and there are just as important in improving our standard of living. Especially when it’s five minutes to 7 and you still haven’t made
anything for dinner.

Yummy. And reasonably priced.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... ie-chicken
Last edited by Thinktank on Jul 28th, 2014, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Is rotisserie chicekn almost past expiry date?

Post by Dizzy1 »

I would normally think this is a good thing, but since you posted it I'm questioning that.

But 10 bucks for a yummy chicken, including a couple of salads and some rolls, then just add some corn on the cob and baked beans then you're really talking :)
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Jul 27th, 2014, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Stores receive cases of fresh poultry meant to be cooked in-house on the rotisserie. The chickens are smaller (roughly 3 lbs. with the wings and legs trussed) than the ones you'll find in the general meat bunkers.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Grocery stores put rotisserie chicken right next to prepared salads, chips, and other higher-margin products to lure people in. Somebody sees a chicken and says "Oh wow, I can have chicken for only $7!", but then they load up on all of the other products to complete the dinner table without thinking too much. So, the grocery stores are ahead even with selling chicken for cheap.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

In Germany, they have vendors outside of the grocery store selling rotisserie chickens, but they were a bit pricier. By the time I left there a few years ago, I was paying about 5 Euros for half a chicken. But walking home from the grocery store with some nice cheese, fresh bread, cheap wine ... the alluring aroma of the chicken on a cold winter day was very inviting.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”