The devolution of media (reality TV)

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

The devolution of media (reality TV)

Post by steven lloyd »

Just when you thought this stuff couldn’t get any more disturbing …

Honey Boo Boo just got cancelled and the reason is pretty disturbing

It looks like the days of Go-Go Juice, Sketti and Fritto feet are officially coming to an end for those still taking a chance and tuning into the always controversial TLC series, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

The series was officially canned on Friday afternoon for a reason that’s actually more divisive that the reality show itself. “Mama” June Shannon, who recently split from hubby Sugar Bear, is now reportedly back with her ex, Mark McDaniel.

The problem? Dude is a convicted child sex offender, and Mama June has half a dozen kiddies running around the house.

http://www.theloop.ca/honey-boo-boo-jus ... us-queasy/
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: the devolution of media (reality TV)

Post by normaM »

I hope I can sleep tonight.
If this is news.. well then
Like sugar bear didn't have some issues
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: The devolution of media (reality TV)

Post by Phoenix Within »

How that show got on the air is beyond me. Why it's lasted as long as it has is a sad testament to what we're being forced to accept as entertainment. Anyone remember when TLC used to be called The Learning Channel? They're to education as what MTV is now to music.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just look at the programing line-up on the History channel.
Pawn Stars
Mountain Men
Counting Cars... etc... etc

What the hell does most of it (line-up) have to do with History. Exactly nothing, channel was giving the wrong name.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Just look at the programing line-up on the History channel.
Pawn Stars
Mountain Men
Counting Cars... etc... etc

What the hell does most of it (line-up) have to do with History. Exactly nothing, channel was giving the wrong name.

Well it's US recent history.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

While I intensely dislike these show, I disagree about them being "a sad testament to what we're being forced to accept as entertainment."

Nobody is forcing me to watch these shows and I don't watch them. I simply watch something else or watch nothing.

The sad part is that these shows are on because there is a high demand for them by people who choose to watch them.
You and 71 others Like this post
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think shows like that are good because they give the lowest of the lows hope that they can become rich and famous too, the same way Arnie gave bad actors hope, but much worse.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

These shows are also dirt cheap to produce. Because the up-front investment in production is so small, if they only last a season or two, it's no loss. They just move on to the next one.

While it's hard to truly feel bad for the cast members of these shows, they are being exploited. It is sad that these programs that focus on bringing out the worst in people, are getting so much attention.

Also regarding the History Channel, there is a loose definition of what they can show. Shows like Pawn Stars are permitted because they focus on antiques, and (relatively recent) historical items. History has been forced to stop running at least one program in the past (CSI: NY) because it wasn't didn't qualify as historical.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

So I am flipping between channels today and I come across a commercial for another reality tv show, Farming for Love.
Good :swear: grief

https://www.ctv.ca/shows/farming-for-love
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

OK you singles, and wannabe singles, now is your chance to find love in the dirt.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”