Interstellar stinks!

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
brounal
Board Meister

Interstellar stinks!

Post by brounal »

Just went to this with my family. Saw some amazing reviews on it so figured run down and see it. Was very disappointed and I like Sci Fi. Sure it had some not bad special effects but nothing really that blew me away. Found a not very good plot, not very good acting. Long and pretty boring. No real explanation of why the Earth was in trouble just a bunch of dust storms happening with no real reason given for them. I want those 3 hours of my life back! I give this movie maybe a 1 /5 but really think it should get a big fat Zero. But of course it will probably win an Academy award..
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Interstellar stinks!

Post by Dizzy1 »

Can't be worse then Avatar. I like Chris Nolan - I find as a director, he's done an amazing job and I haven't seen a movie of his that I didn't like. There's always a first time but I haven't seen Interstellar yet but am looking forward to seeing it.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Nov 12th, 2014, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Trailers didn't inspire me to watch it. I'll wait till DVD. And by DVD I mean pirate bay.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Go see it in theaters. By far the most engrossing movie I've seen this year, and it's one of those movies where the big screen and speakers make a difference. And a general lack of villainous aliens does not mean it's boring...
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Its unfortunate if a movie is only worthwhile if its seen on a big screen with big speakers. Is that the case with this one? I like special effects, but there better be a good story behind it.

Funny: here's an excerpt from teh castanet review of it: "there were a lot of moments when I had no idea what was going on. However, with its brilliant special effects and cinematography, it's a must-see on the big screen."

Yeah, sounds like a special effects junky movie. Too bad..
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

It's hardly Transformers. I was more referring to the immersiveness of the big screen. The "didn't know what was going on" was likely referencing the scientific aspects. Make no mistake, this is a story-first film.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Gilchy wrote: Make no mistake, this is a story-first film.

This is real science fiction (as opposed to action/horror/thriller sci-fi - which I have no problem watching either)
I am really looking forward to watching this movie, but I can wait to watch it on my system at home (maybe).
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

While I haven’t yet gone to see it myself (I really want to), I should point out what I have seen happen with my friends - those that did like it, and got the most out of it, were those who were decently to well versed in the Sciences and Technology. Those that thought it was boring, or that they couldn’t understand what was happening, typically had a middling to poor grasp of Science and Technology.

That’s not to say a burger-flipper with a Humanities degree isn’t going to find it enjoyable. It’s just that those that do enjoy it typically have a good to great understanding of the physical world and the larger universe as a whole, to say nothing of current technological advancements and projected capabilities. It seems that the movie doesn’t “dumb down” the science and technology, so those who aren’t well versed enough in it to understand what is going on are going to be left behind scratching their heads.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

*Spoiler alert* (Although not really)

I really enjoyed this movie. And actually, I have to say they did a really interesting job of portraying the 4th dimension. You really have to think with this movie which is great. I think we live in a world where people are generally pretty well informed on relativity and to some extent, quantum mechanics.

I can't say I agree with the OP, this was one of the best films I've ever seen, but not everyone will agree! I really recommend seeing it, either way. As an added bonus, Hans Zimmer did a hell of a job scoring this film (with ample use of a 1926 organ).

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”