Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Steve-O
Übergod

Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich?

Post by Steve-O »

Where in Kelowna can a fella get a really good Montreal smoked meat sandwich?? Originally from Calgary and there was a guy in a small strip mall in the north east with connections to Swatrz's in Montreal and man I tell ya, that was a treat to stop by there. Reasonable prices for a sandwich that was easily two meals that were as Guy Fieri would describe, straight outta flavor town. That's what I'm looking for.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich

Post by oneh2obabe »

Good luck in your search. Let me know if you find a place that actually serves it the way it should be - on caraway rye .
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm sure I've seen it advertised at the Grateful Fed on Bernard. Might give them a call. Still remember how good and mouth watering a proper Montreal smoked meat sandwich tastes. Have never tried to recreate it myself.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I saw the thread title and was excited! Then opened the thread only to fund more soul crushing questions. :(
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Sorry Gilchy. Should of added a question mark on the end of the thread title.

Looked at Grateful Feds menu and will head down there for lunch in the next week or two and see how their sandwich is.
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich?

Post by Jo »

Added it for you.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Steve-O, if you've had Schwartz's, you've been spoiled and nothing else will after that will be as good. I thought Grateful Fed was 'meh'
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

If you're ever in Van, try Dunn's, another well known Montreal smoked meat deli.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/dunns-famous-van ... moked+Meat
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
vipeter

Post by vipeter »

Reeze's Smoked Meat in Summerland is the place to go, and they directly import the meat from Montreal, so it is Authentic!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but I had a MSM sandwich from Bonanza Meats and Deli the other day and thought it was pretty darn good.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

vipeter wrote:Reeze's Smoked Meat in Summerland is the place to go, and they directly import the meat from Montreal, so it is Authentic!

Is that the little place across the street from the Post Office? I've been there a few times but not recently, I was wondering if they are still around. You can get a decent sandwich there, not a lot of room though, maybe ten tables or so, try and land outside the traditional lunch hour.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Safeway on 97/Leckie has pre-packaged Schwartz's smoked meat. The box has 4 individual pouches that you boil for a few minutes. I found it to be pretty good. While at Safeway pick up a loaf of City Bread Rye.........the BEST rye bread in this town. City Bread is from Winnipeg and has been around almost a 100 years. Don't get suckered into "Winnipeg Style" labeled rye bread........no comparison.

This pre-packaged Schwatz's is around $15.00 a box but goes on sale for $12.00 quite often.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I had a Reuben with double meat from the West Kelowna Arby's today and I'm still experiencing bliss. Marbled rye bread toasted and buttered just right with a ton of nicely spiced smoked meat and a mound of sourcrought and sharp cheese. :hailjo:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Poindexter wrote:I had a Reuben with double meat from the West Kelowna Arby's today and I'm still experiencing bliss. Marbled rye bread toasted and buttered just right with a ton of nicely spiced smoked meat and a mound of sourcrought and sharp cheese. :hailjo:

Nice! I'm going to have to visit Arby's again someday. Always enjoy their food so long as I stay away from their cheap sandwiches like the "Beef N cheddar". I'd like to know how they get away with calling that liquid plastic "cheddar".

For some reason tho - massive heartburn every time :( I can't even look at their very tasty curly fries without getting heartburn.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I worked at the first ARBYS in Canada.....OOOhhhh do I have stories. The best product they have is the Chicken Sandwich, the deep fried one is the safest.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”