How do you cook a pizza?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Which do you use?

Pizza Stone
53%
Pan with holes
32%
Pan with no holes
16%
Nutt'n Honey
No votes

Total votes: 19

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: How do you cook a pizza?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Well worth it - got mine on sale for $13.99 and comes with a metal holder.

Other things I use it for ... chicken nuggets, french fries, jalapeno poppers, biscuits, potato chips (cut potato into thin slices, season, bake @ 350°F about 20 minutes or until crisp), pita or tortilla wedges (350°F for 8-12 minutes), falafels, homemade pretzels, quesadillas, and the best apple strudel.

Let the stone cool completely in the oven and store flat when not in use. You can store them upright but make sure they don't have a chance of falling over as they can crack or break.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Lots of ways to make your own pizza at home but here's a tip that may be of some use to those who have leftover Zaaa.

Microwaving the last few pieces usually yields you momentarily soft, limp crust with burn your mouth heat. The oven takes too long and gives up hard crust and so so toppings.

I saw this on the interweb a while ago and have tried it several times and it actually works.

Turn a burner on to medium heat, place your non-stick fry pan on it. Once heated, lay in the tasty treats and leave thim in for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or so until the crust is crusty to your taste.

Then, pour a wee bit o water in the pan and place a cover over the lot for about uno momento or until the cheese is all melty again and voila!!!! Tastes pretty much like it did when it was delivered.

swear to god.

You're welcome.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26571800-Pizza

that thread is all about home made pizza
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
mrs forum

Post by mrs forum »

Our household has been cooking pizzas on the same pizza stone for over a decade.
It's our favourite method of cooking pizzas (except ordering delivery). :admin:
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

mrs forum wrote:Our household has been cooking pizzas on the same pizza stone for over a decade.
It's our favourite method of cooking pizzas (except ordering delivery). :admin:

OMG!!!!! You’ve changed gender.
You and 71 others Like this post
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bsuds wrote:Is it worth getting a stone or is it something that will sit in the cupboard?

Yes - it's worth it.

I got the stone when my kids were small. Used to be, everyone would eat and I'd get to the pizza and have to reheat, because it would be cold. After getting the stone, I'd never go back. Despite eating long after my kids, the pizza was still warm, perfect temp actually.

Plus, when I bake cookies I used to use it as an alternated baking sheet. Cookies turned out so well I ended up getting stone cookie sheets - I have never burned a cookie since getting them, even when my oven flares up with hot spots!
I haven't failed until I quit.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Thinktank wrote:My home made pizzas taste terrible but these guys seem to know how to do it:

A couple of tips if you want to make your own pizzas. Get a proper pizza paddle and a pizza stone for your oven. Bed Bath & Beyond sells a good stone for about $25 and the paddle will set you back another $12-$15.

To make a proper bread or pizza dough Canadian all purpose flour doesn't cut it. Go to bulk barn and buy a kilo of High Gluten Flour for about $10 and use 1/2 cup High Gluten per 2 cups All Purpose. Also, don't buy your yeast from the ripoff supermarkets. Once again Bulk Barn to the rescue selling fast acting yeast for about $6 a lb. Supermarket yeast works out to about $25 a lb in the little packets or jars. Finally pick up some coarse grind cornmeal as long as you're at bulk barn to use as a proper lubricant for your pizza dough.

You can learn how to use a pizza paddle and stone properly watching youtube videos and don't get discouraged if your first couple attempts are flops. It's a learned skill like anything else. Bake for about 12 minutes in a 450 F preheated oven and wait for the best pizzas you ever tasted...

Bon apetit

OK here's my 2 cents....

If you're serious about yeast.... Costco - Red Star 2.008 lbs (908 grams) $4.99 ($2.49 a pound). I part it into a smaller jar and keep the rest in a large jar in the downstairs fridge. The small one upstairs in the fridge.

Yes, a pizza peel (the large flat "paddle") very important.

Pizza stones, there are many kinds, including heavy steel ones that you can't get in Canada, and God knows how much it would cost (because of weight) to ship from the USA. Careful they can break, let them cool after before you touch them.

Pizza dough docker...(or just dough docker) It's a roller type gizmo that pokes small holes in the dough so it doesn't bubble.

CORN MEAL.... YES ! After I roll (ya a know you're not supposed to) out the dough and I've cut it in the shape (I use the pizza pan I used to use to cook then in) and have DOCKED it, I fold the pizza in half on itself and brush the flour off the bottom of the turned up half and the counter below that half and sprinkle CORN MEAL on the counter fold that half back down and then fold the other half over and repeat.

Once I have the toppings on, I slide the peel under the dough, now covered with the toppings, using a lifter to guide it on to the peel. Don't dally putting the toppings on as the longer you take the more the dough (even with the corn meal under) will try to stick to the counter. (some say build the topping on the pizza dough with the dough on the peel, I don't agree)

Then onto the pizza stone that I've sprinkled with CORN MEAL right before I slide the pizza on.

8 minutes in a 500° oven.

Saturday night, now you're ready to watch some hockey.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Thinktank wrote:To make a proper bread or pizza dough Canadian all purpose flour doesn't cut it. Go to bulk barn and buy a kilo of High Gluten Flour for about $10 and use 1/2 cup High Gluten per 2 cups All Purpose.

If you're serious about homemade pizza, the best flour is Italian 00 flour which can be found in a few supermarkets or specialty stores depending on consumer demand or from Amazon.ca.
my5cents wrote:If you're serious about yeast.... Costco - Red Star 2.008 lbs (908 grams) $4.99 ($2.49 a pound). I part it into a smaller jar and keep the rest in a large jar in the downstairs fridge. The small one upstairs in the fridge.

Red or Gold Star SAF Yeast is the only yeast I use. If you don't have a Costco card, you can get the Red Star at Bulk Barn for $4.99. If you don't do a lot of baking, keep a small jar of yeast in your pantry and store the rest in the freezer - will keep for 2-3 years.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I recently switched from a pizza stone to a pizza steel. The difference is dramatic and I definitely prefer the steel. The pizza crust comes out way crispier due to the better heat transfer of steel vs stone. Some styles of pizza (e.g. New York) are better suited to a stone - depends on the crust style. I usually do pizza on the BBQ as it gets hotter. 600 deg plus. 700 is ideal.

Pizza steels can be bought online but they're pricey (and heavy). It's easy to find a metal shop to cut a piece to your preferred size and thickness. Be sure to get the right kind of steel. Thicker the better - 1/4" to 3/4". Then it just needs to be cleaned and seasoned. I spent around $40 and a couple hours of time.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I just looked up the differences between flours and found out that bread flour is the same gluten content as the pizza flour and will work better than All purpose flour.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like our pizza pan with the holes in it. Never have we been disappointed. It's light and stores nicely on its side.
But Mr. QK makes the pizza crust from scratch. When we cheat and buy a pre-made, we use the pizza pan for it too, again, never disappointed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I only use the holey pizza pan on Sundays.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mrs forum

Post by mrs forum »

Where would I purchase a pizza steel locally?

Is there a certain type of steel I should be asking it be made of?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mrs forum wrote:
Is there a certain type of steel I should be asking it be made of?

It should be food grade steel.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
mrs forum

Post by mrs forum »

Thank you. I will look a little more into this.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”