Turned Away by Border Guards at Can/USA Border?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
honkonbobo
Fledgling

Turned Away by Border Guards at Can/USA Border?

Post by honkonbobo »

I've heard that people get denied entry into the USA for past criminal experiences like smoking pot (10 years ago).

I'd like to hear stories of other people who "know people" that may have been turned away at the USA border.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Turned Away by Border Guards at the CAN/USA Border?

Post by JLives »

My FIL has been going to Point Roberts for his whole life. A few years ago a pot infraction for a roach that was found in the 70's showed up on his file when he was going to stay at the cabin after a concert. Now he can never cross again without going through an expensive pardon process. It's BS. He otherwise has a clean record and has contributed a lot of money to their economy over the years.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Same thing happened to my brother, trip booked for an anniversary, got to customs in Van., had him in questioning for two hours, a couple of pot charges from back in the day. Denied entry, frantic calls to get everything cancelled and not lose out on all money given for deposits. Same thing, big bucks for the pardon and even if you get one here in Canada, you have to also be pardoned in the USA so he said the hell with it. He was always able to cross when driving, never an issue.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Don't do the crime if you can't live without going to US, I guess.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Damn Potheads anyway. Wouldn't want to let them into the US so they can go toke up legally in Colorado!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote:Damn Potheads anyway. Wouldn't want to let them into the US so they can go toke up legally in Colorado!

My FIL was caught with the roach in Washington where it is now legal. They are losing out on tens of thousands of dollars by not allowing him in the country. Kind of silly if you ask me.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
honkonbobo
Fledgling

Post by honkonbobo »

That seems harsh to not let entry based on past charges and convictions assuming he was punished (he paid the fine etc). Sounds like it could be a government cash grab asking citizens to pay for pardons that are overpriced.

How much does it cost for a Pardon?
I've heard the government may be doing away with Pardons all together.

Bubalouie
How long ago was his pot charge?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

You can be denied entry into the US for a number of reasons - medical, person of interest in any dealings with police, etc. Any info about a person the police put into their report can be shared with the US.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/12 ... _risk.html

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11 ... tails.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Know a guy who in 1968 when he was 18 got caught with a joint and he's been banned from the US ever since.
All human sin seems so much worse in its consequences than in its intentions. - Reinhold Niebuhr
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

He was in his early to mid twenties, is now in mid fifties......
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Everyone is aware that pot is legal in Washington state.

If you cross the border and state that you are coming into the USA (Washington State) to smoke legal pot. You will be prohibited entry. Federally it is illegal to use/posses pot, the border patrol is federal, you are admitting you are entering the USA for an illegal purpose.

If you aren't entering the USA for that reason, but are asked "Have you ever smoked pot" (and they don't give a hoot if it was 20 years ago) and you answer yes, you will not be allowed entry.

If you have received an official pardon in Canada and a criminal record in Canada is off the books in Canada, that does not allow you entry into the US.

Canada shares it's criminal records with the USA, but when you get pardoned in Canada, that doesn't pardon your record in the US.

You may have noticed, they ask "have you ever been arrested or charged" , thusly even if you have been pardoned in Canada the "Yes" you should have answered with will lead them to check you out and they will discover that you have a Canadian pardoned criminal record, thus not qualified to enter the US.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jennylives wrote:
My FIL was caught with the roach in Washington where it is now legal. They are losing out on tens of thousands of dollars by not allowing him in the country. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Wow, he must smoke a lot of pot!...lol kidding
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Isn't it pretty much the same thing if someone from the US has had a DUI in the past ... they're possibly denied entry? And then there was that lady who flew down to SEA and was turned back because she has a shoplifting charge on her record from when she was younger.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Issues maybe long forgotten (or long past gone) come back to bite people in *bleep* later.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Are still talking about the US border or moved onto the Pearly Gates? :)
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”