New Music Suggestions

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
djbout
Fledgling

New Music Suggestions

Post by djbout »

So I am a bit older but love Godsmack, Alabama Three and Five Finger Death Punch...looking for bands I haven't heard before that fall within these genres.....
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: New Music Suggestions

Post by fluffy »

Just about all the exposure I've been getting to new music, not so much new new as new to me, has been from internet radio and music services. Songza, CBC Music to name a couple that have great variety, and my personal favorite RadioParadise.com, and while that one does tend to lean toward the mellow end of the spectrum, the guy has a great love affair going with some of the classic like Led Zeppelin.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Thanks Fluffly but I am looking for something "harder" a little more moving inspiring is what I need at this time.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

You should check out Mastodon, Rival Sons and Kyuss.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

djbout wrote:Thanks Fluffly but I am looking for something "harder" a little more moving inspiring is what I need at this time.

Don't be too quick to write them off as elevator music, Songza and CBC Music both have hard rock, metal and indie channels. Songza is a bit more mainstream in their choices but they have an extensive list of genres with multiple playslists under each heading. CBC Music will venture a little more into the obscure, names you may not have heard, and it's my experience that no matter what your favoured genre Canada is a hotbed of musical talent. When I hear a tune that catches my ear I make a note of it for further investigation, and the search can take me places new and amazing. Just sayin'...
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The Pixies recent album Indy Cindy is damn fine.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Thank you I have listened to Mastodon, Rival Sons, Pixies and Kyuss so far...when I listened to the Rival Sons I knew of them lol...just forgot. Someone else mentioned the Gorillaz and listening to them right now...

Fluffy when I have a little more time I will take a boo at your suggestions, Thanks!
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Now we are onto Serj Tankian....
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

If you like Serj, try fair to midland (they were signed to his label)

Therapy? Maybe start with crooked timber. (Or trouble gum which was their biggest album in the 90s). They have a new album coming out which I am really looking forward to.

Baroness is rad- maybe start with the yellow/green album

And clutch - they have a huge diverse 20 + year catalogue. - if you want more of the rock sound, their newer albums, for heavy go way back to transnational speedway league

A good clutch side project is the company band , start with zombie barricades. Great track!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I love Clutch. If you liked Rival Sons check out Royal Blood. They are going to be huge soon.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

fluffy wrote:Just about all the exposure I've been getting to new music, not so much new new as new to me, has been from internet radio and music services. Songza, CBC Music to name a couple that have great variety, and my personal favorite RadioParadise.com, and while that one does tend to lean toward the mellow end of the spectrum, the guy has a great love affair going with some of the classic like Led Zeppelin.

I've been listening to Songza for about an hour and haven't heard a commercial yet. Is it commercial free?

I just uninstalled Spotify. I wasn't really into having my Indie/Alternative Rock stream interrupted with ads for the new Kelly Clarkson release every five minutes, twice as loud as my regular feed.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

I second the Royal Blood recommendation - Awesome album (and only bass and drums)

Melvins are another band with some goodies - honeybucket if you like the heavy! A senile animal is a great album too

OREZ wrote:I've been listening to Songza for about an hour and haven't heard a commercial yet. Is it commercial free?

Songza is commercial free
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Got a Kyuss CD today awesome, loving Clutch big time....
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I listen to a wide variety of genres from jazz and classical to ethnic, to alternative rock but I seem to have the most trouble finding a good indie/alternative rock streaming station. Does anyone have a suggestion? ( Preferably without constant commercial interruptions)
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Mark Tremoni (Creed, alterbridge) has a new solo album coming out soon. Definitely worth a listen if you are into heavy riffing. His old album is stellar too.

I'd also suggest all that remains or killswitch engage!
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”