How to become gluten-intolerant

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Jo
Slot 16

How to become gluten-intolerant

Post by Jo »

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: How to become gluten-intolerant

Post by Dizzy1 »

Brilliant!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

That's hilarious. And so true.
I birn quil I se
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

lol
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Oh wow. there is so many people I want to forward that link to!
Like he said, it is the latest eating fad and everyone is gluten intolerance, yet I find it for the most part is when it is convenient for them.
Side note, a friend of mine would go on and on about her being vegetarian while gnawing down a steak... when I call her on it, she said beef doesn't count, oh and btw, neither does chicken or pork. According to her, all the vegetarians out there, you've been doing it wrong.
Love it!

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I find this fad to be a double-edged sword.

On one hand, it has made more GF foods available, which has resulted in an overall lower cost.

On the other hand, it's a bit of an insult to those who have suffered a great deal with the affliction. If all of these "ohhh lookit meee I have something so ultra special to talk about" fad-followers had any clue of the discomfort that people who actually HAVE celiac disease deal with, they'd crawl into a little hole writhing in pain and never come out. They have NO IDEA what it means to actually suffer the ill-effects of gluten intolerance.

They don't even realize that a celiac has an increased chance of developing cancer due to the chronic inflammation they experienced in the time leading up to their diagnosis.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Trouble is, there are so many (false) claims that a gluten-free diet is actually better for everybody, not just people with celiac disease, so in fairness, a lot of people are simply trying it because they believe the claims made by pseudo-professionals. If I recall, the celiac associations strongly promote the idea that everybody would be better off on their special diet.

I tried a loaf of the gluten-free bread once, just to see what it would taste like, and I liked the little bitty loaves. At first I thought, hey this is pretty good. Then after a couple of days, instead of going mouldy like any normal bread, it went toxic - the smell was really nasty, not like rotten food but like chemicals.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Additionally, a person must be careful about how much of it (the bread) they eat, because it is normally packed with more sugar and unhealthy starches. Diabetes anyone?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Your right kgcayenne, that is the bonus of the gluten free fad is the variety has grown of different foods, and the price has somewhat come down... Still pretty pricey though.
Jo's comment about the little breads going toxic really scares me. It might be free of gluten but what IS in the food now.
In earlier post, I mentioned I know two true celiacs and I just feel so bad for them. They have adjusted and are used to it, as it has been their lifestyle.

The *convenient* gluten free eaters remind me of those people that faked cancer for attention and money.

I am grateful that I don't have any food allergies that are significant.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My grandson has Celiac and the change in him since his diet has been adjusted is amazing.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”