Apples.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Apples.

Post by Thinktank »

So what do you know about apples?

I've noticed they sell anywhere from $1.00 - $1.87 per lb. It seems to me if I was buying apples,
I'd never buy the ones for $1.87 and always wait until they are $1.00. Is that how it is for everyone else?

the reason I'm asking is - I never buy apples. Well I did a few years ago. I always bought the Ambrosias for $1.87,
which is not the normal thing to do. But I did it because I felt like buying Ambrosias at the time. They tasted good.

So this thread is all about apples. What is your favorite variety? Do you eat more apples than oranges?
Do you ever buy apples and then make pie with them? How many lbs do you buy at a time? Did you
know @ $2.00/lb that works out to $80.00/box? How do you feel about that?

the reason I am discussing apples, is our apple industry has been sabotaged. I will prove it later.
But for now - what do you know about apples?

Last edited by Thinktank on Apr 14th, 2015, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Apples.

Post by Thinktank »

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My favourite is the Aurora Golden Gala and we get them from the Orchardist and pay about .79 a pound for them.
I rarely ever buy others and if I do it will be Fuji's from the Co-op. for around the same price.

We might buy others to make Apple Crisps for the freezer.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Due to some medical issues I can't digest raw apples so I don't eat them any more. I buy organic on sale BC apples. usually it's Royal Gala and they are $5.99 for a 5lbs.

I also expect that we pay more for imported to the Island produced because of the cost of shipping.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Apr 14th, 2015, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Bsuds wrote:My favourite is the Aurora Golden Gala and we get them from the Orchardist and pay about .79 a pound for them.
I rarely ever buy others and if I do it will be Fuji's from the Co-op. for around the same price.

We might buy others to make Apple Crisps for the freezer.

My favourites were always the McIntosh and Red Delicious. We had those all over the property.

BSuds, my family used to own a big part of the land on DeHart, up towards Swamp Road. My best memories were riding around the orchard on the tractor with Grandpa Lawmower...
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I would rather buy bananas oranges and grapefruits than apples.
But I see all kinds of apples in the stores.

But there's nothing wrong with a good crisp apple. Once the packing house
had some Spartans straight out of CA storage - incredible taste.

I bought some mushy apples once. Not good.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

One thing I don't understand - Okanagan orchardists were told to rip out red delicious - they're NO GOOD - and
plant Ambrosias. But the stores still have Red Delicious most of the time same price as other apples. I don't get it.

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I grew up on an orchard and I love apples.

The price in the store is unbelievably high compared to what the farmer gets, I know that much. We had a small, diverse orchard, growing many different types of fruit and my dad always sold everything direct to customer at a great price to them and for him (compared to what he'd get from a packinghouse) everyone was happy, our customers cleared us out of everything we didn't want to hang onto for our large family.

I love Ambrosia's and yes, I usually buy a few at a time at the grocery store and pay way too much for them even though I should know better. I love the way they taste, love the fact that they're crisp and juicy (unless they're really, really old) and I love how they came into being; by bees, innocently cross pollinating two varieties which are...well, not my favourites. They may not be the prettiest apple to look at but they more than make up for that in all other ways.

They're also pretty resistant to browning, without artificial genetic modification I'm told, but I wouldn't know because I eat them quickly.

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by OREZ on Apr 14th, 2015, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

I love most, in order: the red delicious then the yellow one forgot the name then ambrosia.

I rarely eat raw apples by themselves, usually I make apple salads with cheese, ham, hard boiled eggs, brocoli, celeri, bacon bits and salad dressing. or cinnamon apple maple sirup crepes from scratch or apple cranberries pork chops or simply sliced & dipped in nutella. Okay I'm hungry now.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

All tpyes of farming items we buy, the middleman/person gets the biggest cut. So bypass that go direct to the farmer. (of course with exception of milk, unless you have your own cow)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

1. Granny Smith
2. Russet (BC doesn't grow them)
3. Braeburn
4. Gala
5. Nicola
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

some of the older red delicious varieties grown here were fantastic flavor but poor stripey color.
Packing Houses said all red delicious must be dark dark red color. So what happened was orchardists
started planting these new solid colored Red Delicious that had terrible flavor. As we all know
that was the dumbest thing they could have done - an apple that looks good but tastes terrible.
The result was - all Red Delicious must be ripped out. But here's the amazing part - a new apple called the Cameo
looks exactly and tastes exactly like old old Red Delicious that tasted great but looked terrible (bad color) , and now
people are buying Cameos and paying more for them because they taste good.

A lot of weird things went on in the apple industry. But I'm not sure anyone cares. I myself
am starting to not care.

Cameo
Looks like a weird Red Delicious.
Tastes great.
People like it.
Last edited by Thinktank on Apr 14th, 2015, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I tasted a Pacific Rose from New Zealand once. It was great.

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Braeburn and Nicola are nice, but the new household fave is Pink Lady
I haven't failed until I quit.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Braeburn and Nicola are nice, but the new household fave is Pink Lady

us too! they are delish!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”