BC halibut more expensive than Angus tenderloin

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

BC halibut more expensive than Angus tenderloin

Post by oneh2obabe »

Supply and demand has led to a major increase in the price of halibut in B.C. With the abundance of halibut available across the province going down, pricing has skyrocketed over the last decade making the fish more expensive than some prized meat cuts.

Ten years ago, the price of halibut in Prince Rupert averaged under $12 per pound. Now, that price has shot up to $27 per pound across the city.

"The most expensive thing on my menu is halibut. It's more money than beef tenderloin," says Willy Beaudry, the executive chef at the Crest Restaurant in Prince Rupert.

"If you're charging 23 bucks for fish and chips it sound like a rip off, but [customers] don't understand I'm paying more for that halibut than that tenderloin."

It's a common issue for fish markets as well.

"I've never ever seen such an increase, but I totally expected it," says Charmaine Carlson, the owner of Dolly's Fish Market in Prince Rupert.

Carlson attributes the high prices to the current fishing quota allowance in place for fishermen.

"If the halibut fishermen can't make money, do you think they're going to fish?"

In December of 2011, the International Pacific Halibut Commission — which manages the fishery for both Canada and the United States — was told that adult flatfish were disappearing from the population at unexplainable rates. While the exact cause for the drop in numbers is unconfirmed, theories range from overfishing, to illegal fishing, and ocean acidification.

The decrease in halibut numbers has led to a natural quota decrease, which in turn has affected the supply. Last year, the lowest amount of halibut was caught since 1980.

"If you take a look at when the peak total allowable catch was about a decade ago, the catches were more than double what they are now," says Brad Mireau, the manager of Aero Trading fish plant in Port Edward, B.C.

Aero Trading is associated to a Japanese company which gives it access to many fish markets in Japan further increasing the competition for halibut here in B.C.

For chef Beaudry, the lack of halibut is cause for concern given Prince Rupert's reputation as an internationally recognized seafood city.

"Without our fresh halibut, we've lost our seafood edge."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3083039
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: BC halibut more expensive than Angus tenderloin

Post by Liquidnails »

I'm fortunate enough to have a fisherman in my family so the treat of a nice Halibut fillet/steak or prawn dinner is free of charge. That said, he sold his commercial license almost 20 years ago and said it was the best decision he's ever made. There's no question that the bounty of fish in our oceans is not what it once was, and fuel to run a boat is way more expensive. To give you an idea of what it used to be like, he's told me stories of clearing $50,000 during a 3.5 month span in the summer, and then going on EI for the rest of the year. We may be responsibly managing our fisheries now, but I doubt that was the case is the 70s.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”