Crossing the border with food

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Crossing the border with food

Post by JLives »

I'm wondering what some of your experiences have been when crossing the border with food? We will be in a motorhome and are camping along the way. I'm reading up on it on the USDA website and for many of the local varities of fruits and veggies it says "Subject to inspection". Would it be OK to bring some provided they were grown in Canada and are labelled? I think we will just buy meat and eggs when we cross but it would be nice to not worry about wasting any extra food from our trip down.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Crossing the border with food

Post by WeatherWoman »

Don't take any veggies or fruit with you...most can't cross. No raw meats either. It's not worth the hassle...buy your food in the states.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

WeatherWoman wrote:Don't take any veggies or fruit with you...most can't cross. No raw meats either. It's not worth the hassle...buy your food in the states.

Agree, don't ask how I know.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Aside from the American exchange rate being horrid right now, it is annoying to have to spend the extra money on what you can buy here. The catch is, if the border guards confiscate your food and trash it, you're buying twice. Why do risk it?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

And be sure to declare everything you are bringing. If you declare it, the worst they can do is throw it away. If you don't declare it, they wonder what else you didn't declare and it becomes a world of hassle.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

We had cambells beef and veg soup taken away cuz of the beef factor when the beef scare was on.
Also, pet food, was lamb and rice formula, can't bring lamb into states, even though it was made in USA. You should have seen the big sad poodle eyes as his bag of food was being confiscated.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”