Coastal Camping

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Coastal Camping

Post by JLives »

We are heading out on a road trip soon and are wanting to camp somewhere within a few hours of Richmond or on the island somewhat close to Victoria. We have a small motorhome that does not require hookups. We prefer remote locations with not many people if at all possible. I just want to spend a week kayak fishing on some water. Any recommendations?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Coastal Camping

Post by WeatherWoman »

you do know it's REALLY expensive to take your trailer across on the ferry?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Yes we do. The most important part is finding a sweet spot to make it worthwhile.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

I don't think there is too much in the south Island. You can google around Cowichan Lake...there is some forestry campsites but I am not sure if you can get your trailer in them.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

JLives wrote:Yes we do. The most important part is finding a sweet spot to make it worthwhile.

I wish you have come to me directly. Now you're gone and this is in retrospect.

I hope you've found that sweet spot. WW is right about Lake Cowichan, I could have directed you to it and given some recommendations in regards to some areas around it, up to and including a blow by blow road trip in to the Pachena Bay/Bamfield area.

Whatever you've found, I hope it worth the trip. Tell us about it when you get back, k?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Any planning on Camping on Van Isle I recommend Fairy lake East of Port Renfew. Good sized forestry sites on this small lake. Has pit toilets.

Lizards Lake is an easy walk in in the same area. Pit toilets and a couple of docks.

$15 dollars a night
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Keep going north-ish on the back roads away from Lake Cowichan and you eventually come to Bamfield. Can also be reached from Port Alberni. The northern terminus of the West Coast Trail is a few gravel road miles south of Bamfield.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We did that trip, but from Bamfield to Cowichan. Great drive, good roads, well marked. Pachena Bay was incredible.

Brady Beach is a hike in and well worth it. Water taxi in Bamfield was five bucks each way.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”