Star Wars

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Frisk
Guru

Star Wars

Post by Frisk »

Is there anyone sleeping on the sidewalk in kelowna waiting to get tickets like in the states? Saw that on the news and I was appalled. Show a little dignity, it's just a movie...
Ford4x4Truck
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Star Wars

Post by Ford4x4Truck »

Quailize wrote:Is there anyone sleeping on the sidewalk in kelowna waiting to get tickets like in the states? Saw that on the news and I was appalled. Show a little dignity, it's just a movie...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa......it is not just a movie.

Why would anyone line up on a sidewalk to buy tickets when internet ticket sales exist? I bought my ticket something like 2 months ago.

If the internet didn't exist I would be on the sidewalk right now trying to buy a ticket.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'd have to go watch the other 5 just to follow the story.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Quailize wrote:Is there anyone sleeping on the sidewalk in kelowna waiting to get tickets like in the states? Saw that on the news and I was appalled. Show a little dignity, it's just a movie...

Really? You were "appalled"? Nice to see some people actually enjoy things, get out and live their lives the way they see fit and not sit at home on their couch pointing fingers at what they define as "dignity".
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'd have to go watch the other 5 just to follow the story.

Meh . It's just like the other movies ..

A dood meets a "damsel" in distress , saves her and then they boink.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

MAPearce wrote:A dood meets a "damsel" in distress , saves her and then they boink.

I don't think you're talking about Star Wars. Cause I'd watch THAT for sure. Star Wars is something about this ship called Enterprise.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I don't think you're talking about Star Wars. Cause I'd watch THAT for sure. Star Wars is something about this ship called Enterprise.

In that one , Dood saved a whale too ! And then they boinked
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Wait until its a few months old and watch it, the theatre hype is not so much fun, be patient you must.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

To some, its more than a movie. When I was a child, my dad took me to see Star Wars back in 1977 - my very first time in a movie theatre. When you're a young boy, first time in a movie theatre and you see a movie like Star Wars with you dad - it defines your childhood and its something that you cherish for the rest of your life because it was something very special between a father and son. We've gone to see every Star Wars movie together, as father and son and I'm blessed that we'll be able to go see this one together.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Dec 17th, 2015, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Dizzy1 wrote:Really? You were "appalled"? Nice to see some people actually enjoy things, get out and live their lives the way they see fit and not sit at home on their couch pointing fingers at what they define as "dignity".

Yeah I'm sure sitting on a cold sidewalk is really enjoyable. Meanwhile I'm enjoying myself on my warm couch laughing at them.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Quailize wrote:
Yeah I'm sure sitting on a cold sidewalk is really enjoyable. Meanwhile I'm enjoying myself on my warm couch laughing at them.

So, because something isn't enjoyable to you, you feel it necessary to start an absolute pointless thread on your dislike of what others find enjoyable? Ignorance has set a new benchmark, even for Castanet standards.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I can't understand the appeal of needing to see a film the second it comes out. It doesn't make you "first" or unique. Especially since this is projected to being the highest grossing movie of all time. There's literally never been another time in cinematic history where you could be less of a special snowflake camping out to see it on opening night. There are millions upon millions of people seeing this movie tonight.

Same goes for camping out to be he first to get the newest Apple product. Getting a head start on being exactly like everyone else.

Oh, and spoiler alert...I hear the movie ends the same way if you wait a week or two to see it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:I can't understand the appeal of needing to see a film the second it comes out. It doesn't make you "first" or unique.

It has nothing to do with making one feel unique. It has to do with what something means to someone. You enjoy things in your life that other people don't understand just like other people enjoy doing things in their lives that you don't understand - its what makes who we are.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:It has nothing to do with making one feel unique. It has to do with what something means to someone. You enjoy things in your life that other people don't understand just like other people enjoy doing things in their lives that you don't understand - its what makes who we are.

But can you please explain to me why the meaning of something like a Star Wars film is enhanced by spending the night on a cold/hard/wet sidewalk? What exactly does one gain from giving up hours of their life to wait and get a ticket to the same film that they could simply go and watch in a few days, weeks, months....

I'm not judging the overall desire to see this Star Wars film (I'm sure I'll see it myself one day). But many of us can't comprehend the extent to which people will give up their time and comfort.

It's not as though this is a one-time showing, or the absolute last show of the last tour of your favourite band on the planet. There is an infinite number of opportunities in the future to see this movie. I considered lining up early for Shania Twain tickets for her Kelowna show. My dad was flying in from Ontario and is a massive fan. It was also the last stop on her last tour ever. There would basically be no opportunity to do this again. Same goes for when I bought tickets for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Chances are I wouldn't see them in Canada again in my lifetime, so I took the extra step to secure some tickets.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:But can you please explain to me why the meaning of something like a Star Wars film is enhanced by spending the night on a cold/hard/wet sidewalk? What exactly does one gain from giving up hours of their life to wait and get a ticket to the same film that they could simply go and watch in a few days, weeks, months....

Because its part of the experience for some people. Anyone can buy a ticket online nowadays, drive down to the theatre, meet their friends there, get their snacks and sit down and watch a movie. Or you can wait in line with your friends, sharing laughs and having a good time, doing something different for a change and sharing the experience with others.

Its not so much the movie itself thats memorable, its the event that some people make out of it that really makes the memory, and for many people, especially young children, those are memories that will stick with them a lifetime.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”