Star Wars

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Star Wars

Post by Captain Awesome »

Jx3 wrote:The Cylons finally got him?

The dementors get a hold of him.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

:popcorn:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

ITT: people learn that other people like things you may not care about....
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I enjoy watch sci-fi, I just don't go crazy over it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

GordonH wrote:Okay I will break it down to 1 word, that all movies equal.

Escapism

]

LOL. Also not true. At least come up with reasonably correct axioms!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Since movies (the show its self) are not real (those based are real stories are at best very loosely based on the events), so going to a movie is taking 2+ hours away from reality = Escapism
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Since movies (the show its self) are not real (those based are real stories are at best very loosely based on the events), so going to a movie is taking 2+ hours away from reality = Escapism

OH....seriously? I thought you were being glib, not seriously presenting such a silly premise.

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start a serious discussion of such an absurd assertion....It is simply too weak - and perhaps more importantly it says little of value.

A few objections that spring to mind:
1.to believe all movies are not not real stories is to ignore entire genres like oh say....documentaries
2.to suggest that the psychological motivation can only be to "boring, arduous, scary, or banal aspects of daily life", is - I would hope to most - intuitively wrong. It is most certainly a plausible motivation - it is just as certainly not the only one.
3.your statement implies this somehow trivializes or devalues escapism. Even for those who are going to the movies for this reason, many, including many of history's great thinkers would say this is perfectly valid, and perhaps very important, motivation
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dcipher wrote:A few objections that spring to mind:
1.to believe all movies are not not real stories is to ignore entire genres like oh say….documentaries Name 1 documentary that was block buster at theatre
2.to suggest that the psychological motivation can only be to "boring, arduous, scary, or banal aspects of daily life", is - I would hope to most - intuitively wrong. It is most certainly a plausible motivation - it is just as certainly not the only one. its a money maker, 57 million on it opening night.
3.your statement implies this somehow trivializes or devalues escapism. Even for those who are going to the movies for this reason, many, including many of history's great thinkers would say this is perfectly valid, and perhaps very important, motivation no its just 1 of many forms of escapism

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm leaving it at that
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

GordonH wrote:A few objections that spring to mind:
1.to believe all movies are not not real stories is to ignore entire genres like oh say….documentaries Name 1 documentary that was block buster at theatre

WHY? When did we start talking about "block buster" movies? We did not - that wasn't even an implied aspect. (for the record, even though this is irrelevant to what was being talked about, many documentaries like Farenheit 9/11 (OK...more fiction than documentary I grant), various documentaries about pop stars (Jackson, Bieber, etc), and other films like March of the Penguins, have done VERY well at the box office...especially considering the production costs)

GordonH wrote:2.to suggest that the psychological motivation can only be to "boring, arduous, scary, or banal aspects of daily life", is - I would hope to most - intuitively wrong. It is most certainly a plausible motivation - it is just as certainly not the only one. its a money maker, 57 million on it opening night.

See statement above. The number of people going does not in any way address the content you are quoting. In fact, it is even more unlikely in a movie with those kinds of numbers that ALL are going to escape those aspects of their life. In fact, I would suggest a huge number are in fact quite happy with their lives and are not being motivated by that reason.

GordonH wrote:3.your statement implies this somehow trivializes or devalues escapism. Even for those who are going to the movies for this reason, many, including many of history's great thinkers would say this is perfectly valid, and perhaps very important, motivation no its just 1 of many forms of escapism

Non sequitur.

Your thinking - as illustrated above - does not appear to be rational. This is not coherent.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I love Star Wars - my husband and kids do too. We'll wait a bit to see it though - when it isn't so frantic.

My best friend and her family went to a theatre in Vernon, and were first in line for the 6:30 showing. They weren't outside, they were inside waiting for the doors to open. She posted pics periodically for about an hour, of excited kids and adults in costume, having a great time.

It is about enjoying what you have a passion for, and enjoying it with like-minded people.

geek.jpg
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Everything was based on the title of the thread, Star Wars = Block buster.

Again: You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm leaving it at that
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

GordonH wrote:Everything was based on the title of the thread, Star Wars = Block buster.

Again: You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm leaving it at that

The title of the thread is "Star wars". You then started making inane single line comments and when we began to analyze them, you suddenly jumped (without even the slightest pretense of a rational - which is itself troubling...not even an argumental fallacy, just a random leap of state) into talking about it being a "block buster".

Again, that was very irrational, and the lack of explanation leads me to think you are purposely being obtuse having been called on your statements (as I said, I THOUGHT they were simply glib axioms in the first place - you suddenly seemed to be intent on taking them seriously), or if you are genuinely suffering from disordered thinking. (I sincerely hope not!)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Wally wrote:I will post this just for fun to make some people twitch.
My daughter received free early screening tickets as a Disney employee. It is the first Star Wars movie she has, or will see.
Haven't read the whole thread but it seems your post wasn't quoted. And it's worthy of a quote. I'm jealous.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dcipher wrote:The title of the thread is "Star wars".

"Star Wars" crosses so many boundaries - hard to be sure what the topic will end up to be.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think the idea of lining up and waiting is more of a fan thing these days. Anyone with a computer and some form of money card can have their seats paid for and reserved well in advance of showtime.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”