Star Wars

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
dcipher
Übergod

Re: Star Wars

Post by dcipher »

Fancy wrote:"Star Wars" crosses so many boundaries - hard to be sure what the topic will end up to be.

Agreed. If you read to what I was responding the other person simply stated the title was something else as some kind of odd justification for a......abrupt and unexplained leap in what was being talked about. I certainly have no concern about the thread title at that point.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

Fancy wrote:Haven't read the whole thread but it seems your post wasn't quoted. And it's worthy of a quote. I'm jealous.

haha, they even had people in low-quality costumes dressed up as characters!

What is stranger is that apparently the daughter was not very impressed - the movie is getting good reviews - and a thinly veiled thumbs down from Lucas - so it's probably at least entertaining...even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

I watched the movie yesterday and it was average at best. The plot was almost identical to the 1977 Star Wars movie. I did enjoy seeing familiar characters. I also enjoyed that feeling of nostalgia. However, the exaggerated abilities of the female lead made what was a rare and unique ability (Jedi powers) in the original trilogy, mundane and commonplace in the new movie. The focus on political correctness over story telling also diminished my enjoyment of the film. Some of the CGI looked fake and unbelievable. I rated Star Wars the Force Awakens 6/10.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I will be waiting for it to be on Demand
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

8/10, I really enjoyed it and it captured the spirit for me, sure you could nitpick, but why bother. If you liked the Originals I think you will very much enjoy this new movie.
Kelo_Can613
Fledgling

Post by Kelo_Can613 »

Still better than episodes I, II, and III!
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Just report it in the future and we can move it! Thanks!
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

...report it in the future...

Or report it a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Only 17 months to go until Episode VIII :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Amen to that! :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Dizzy1 wrote:Only 17 months to go until Episode VIII :)

Well at least we've got a Star Trek movie to bide the time with. Must be a Marvel super-hero movie or two in the works too, eh? I was a big Dr. Strange fan back in the day, I'm a little nervous about how Mr. Cumberbatch is going to do in that role, I always pictured more of a Clark Gable sort of character.

I made one of the first showings for the new Star Wars here in Penticton and found it a pleasant trip back to the feeling of the first releases almost forty years ago now (reality check), the word nostalgic has come up more than once. There were a couple of continuity leaps that stretched believability a tad but it had lots of robots and ray guns and stuff so who cares. The geek was strong in this one.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fluffy wrote:
Well at least we've got a Star Trek movie to bide the time with. Must be a Marvel super-hero movie or two in the works too, eh?

We also have a Star Wars movie coming out again next December (2016) but its one of the spin offs ...

December 2016: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
May 2017: Star Wars Episode VIII
May 2018: Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo
2019: Star Wars Episode IX
2020: Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Is Jar Jar back? He was da bomb.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Planning on seeing it this weekend with the husband & kids.

Last night we watched this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i9mgx and found it to be interesting, informative and enjoyable. Called "The Evolution of the Lightsaber Duel", goes into the history of the making/filming of the duels, follows how it has changed through the years, and refers back to one of the major influences; Kendo.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

We've seen it, I'm happy. :D

It is not like the prequels, it is a good start for the next series.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”