Star Wars Force Awakens Spoilers

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Star Wars Force Awakens Spoilers

Post by Hmmm »

I will not be watching this, but I'm curious what you thought about it and feel free to include spoilers.
Last edited by Hmmm on Jan 9th, 2016, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Spoilers

Post by GordonH »

First set of 3 were awesome, second set of 3 were okay. Not planning on watching latest until it out on demand.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I enjoyed it. I found it to be somewhat between the two sets of movies, quality-wise. I appreciate the homage to the original. I appreciate the cameos by the older characters. I'm liking some of the new characters.

Kylo Ren is an emo brat, though. He is less terrifying than Vader ever was and far more annoying. I'm fairly sure there will be a tiny contingent of pre-teens who will be all "OMG he's sooooo cute and misunderstood and *sighs*".

I liked the battle scenes (though I am glad we didn't see it in 3D).

The main character death was at the behest of the actor as I understand it. I still don't like it. At all. That is the biggest fly in the ointment for me. I'll adjust, though.

What I think I may do, is undertake to read the many, many novels that are post VI.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I've seen it twice - was much better the second time around.

I thought they did a great job on the script - it continues the saga while starting a new chapter.

As for Kylo Ren - he's a great character tha has a lot of potential that can go either way. As for Lady tehMa's comment about him being an "emo brat" (lol) and less terrifying than Vader - one thing you have to keep in mind is that Kylo is still very young, not fully trained and still very tormented between good and evil. He's more comparable to Anakin in Episodes 2 & 3. When we're first introduced to Kylo he seems incredibly powerful but as the movie progresses and realize his inward struggle, he looses focus and seems to weaken. Vader on the other hand, when we're first introduced to him is already fully trained in the Darkside and seemed to be strong in his chosen path - it's not until Episode 6 that he struggles.

As for books go - I recommend Outbound Flight and the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The only real disappointment for me in Episode 7 was the lack of screen time and background of Captain Phasma, I'm not too keen on the name either but I'm hoping we'll see her integrated more into the story line in Episode's 8 & 9.

For my fellow geeks who may not have seen this yet ...

:130:

Also, Daisy Ridley really has the most amazing smile in Hollywood :smt045
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

One big pet peeve I have right now though ... are people who are calling Imperial Walkers A,T-A,T's (Ay Tee-Ay Tee's) - they're pronounced AT-AT's (rhymes with hat-hat) - get it right people! :1422:
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

I am a big Star Wars fan and really enjoyed this movie. I wasn't happy about Han being killed off. Not one bit. However, I am willing to accept that it might play out well in the continuing story. My family is split on our thoughts about Kylo Ren. My husband thought that he should never have removed his mask, that he was much more menacing with the mask on. There are comments about Ren being a weak villain compared to Darth Vader. My thoughts are that Ren is very much like Luke when we first meet him in A New Hope: young, immature, filled with teenage angst and chafing under parental control. We generally believe that Luke is the main character of the original trilogy, but you could also look at Star Wars as the story of Darth Vader. The original trilogy shows us his progression from the epitome of evil to redemption, while episodes 1-3 show us how Vader went from a young innocent to the face of evil in the galaxy. This new movie and the ones to come are very likely about the rise of a new Jedi, and it would appear that this will be Rey; however, I personally believe that we will also see a progression in Ren's character. Will he continue his descent into the Dark Side, or will the good his mother still sees in him overcome the evil?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The Mrs. sent this to me a couple of weeks ago ...

... her comment was that at 0:50 is the reason I'm not allowed to play with Star Wars stuff :138:
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^ Love it. :popcorn: :popcorn:
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bawhahahahah!
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I just saw the movie a few days ago. I've taken a couple of days to digest it.

Like many, the prequels have made me very wary of any attempt to continue the story. The almost universal good reviews convinced me to see this one while it's still in theatres. I was worried that, like the prequels, it would be a little too funny, too much of a buddy action-comedy. And at times it was. I was also worried that it would have too many inside jokes and nods to fans of the earlier movies. And it had that too, at times. Overall though I enjoyed it. The parallels with the events in Episodes 4-6 were obvious, but the stage has been set, and these new stories can go almost anywhere.

I agree with the comments above about Kylo Ren, but I think he is being viewed exactly as intended. Emotional, immature, and a bully, but just powerful enough to keep his position through brute force and intimidation. It actually quite enjoyed his fighting style, essentially swinging the lightsaber like a baseball bat. It showed that not only has he had little or no lightsaber training, but he probably doesn't do much of his own dirty work.

I thought Finn was a little too cavalier, when the tormented/brainwashed side of him should have been more prevalent. I felt he should have continued to speak and act more like a Stormtrooper, with his real personality eventually showing as he integrates into society. It might not have been much fun to watch, but I felt it's what his character would do.

I thought the character of Rae was very well cast and acted. Naive, but athletic and raw enough to be believable as a scavenger and survivor. She clearly has a connection to Luke...we speculate that she's his daughter, but that has not been revealed for certain.

I don't know how Poe Dameron fits into the continued storyline. Will he simply be the ace pilot/Finn's buddy, or will he become a more central character?

I was satisfied with Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and the droids' role in the film. The door is open for them to remain as central figures, move to the background, or disappear altogether in the subsequent films. Well I guess we know which of the above Han will do.

The Force Awakens does a good (not great but good) job tying Episodes 4-6 together with this new trilogy. And as a standalone sci-fi action film to be judged on it's own merits, I'd rate it very high.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

THIS is an interesting read. http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

I think I'd like to watch the new movie again, after having read this.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I admit I need to see all six movies soon. I wish I had made more of an effort to do so before seeing Force Awakens.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”