Container gardening for those who are inept...

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Container gardening for those who are inept...

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Inept at gardening = Me.

I'd like to do some really basic vegetables this year in containers on my deck. I'd like to start from seeds as most years I attempt this I fail and I'd like to spend as little as possible.

What is the earliest I could start from seed on my deck (so elevated) surface? I live in Osoyoos and have North West exposure. It's usually. Few degrees warmer here than Kelowna/Penticton.

Can I just start them in the pots I intend to grow them in? And if I do them, do I need to be careful as to how many seeds I attempt in one pot? Or should I do several in the one pot and then kill off the least of the saplings once I decide which sapling looks most viable?

Especially any advice on the vegetables we eat most: cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, red peppers, herbs. Do I need larger containers for broccoli?

Thanks folks.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Container Gardening for those who are inept...

Post by whatwhat »

I do pot gardening as I rent, and can't exactly dig up my landlords yard. We have had pretty good success with it, but it definitely is a learning experience. I can't really help you with the timing or anything, as I know nothing about it. Hopefully Bman and others will have more to offer on that front.

I would recommend starting the seeds in smaller containers first. You'll be able to start them inside, and harden them off a lot easier.

I have had the best success growing tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, peppers, herbs and strawberries in pots. I had a rough time with cucumbers, but am going to try a larger pot this year.

Look for "bush" varieties of the plants.

Make sure you look for lighter colour pots, as black pots will absorb to much heat.

Google is your friend. There is so much information out there for pot gardens. Good luck!
hail Satan y'all
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Container Gardening for those who are inept...

Post by Lady tehMa »

Read. Figure out your zone, your exposure (southern, northern, east or west). Hang out at your local garden store and ask questions - I've gotten tons of help that way!
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”