How It's Made - Hot Dogs.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

How It's Made - Hot Dogs.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Hot dogs, one of the most popular foods in the world. It's linked to nostalgia in baseball games or backyard barbecues.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How It's Made - Hot Dogs.

Post by Relentless »

Absolutely disgusting isn't it?
They can't possible be good for human consumption.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

UltraViolet wrote:Absolutely disgusting isn't it?
They can't possible be good for human consumption.

Who cares when a good one tastes awesome!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The problem is finding a good one.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

oneh2obabe wrote:The problem is finding a good one.

I agree, used to like a hotdog once in a while but they don't taste the same. Same with bologna, bacon, any pork product, beef, etc. Nothing tastes or smells what it did 20 + years ago.

I remember going to the grocery store with my grandmother, the sausages hanging from the roof beams, large slabs of bacon behind the glass display. The only cooler was the meat locker. I miss the smell and taste of real food.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

The man that invented hot dogs is a genius. Without them I would have to eat mustard right out of the jar.
Black Dogs Matter
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

dogspoiler wrote:The man that invented hot dogs is a genius. Without them I would have to eat mustard right out of the jar.

Yep, and if Martha Stewart says, “It’s a good thing,” then I believe her.

History of the Hot Dog

Video by Martha Stewart

http://www.marthastewart.com/245856/history-hot-dog
Janet Riley, president of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council and self-proclaimed "Queen of Wien," joins Martha for a look at the history of the hot dog.

. . . In this hard economic time, and we’re all still hungry and we still have to eat, it’s sort of fun to be able to stop off and have a hotdog at reasonable price . . .

Unfortunately the ‘Queen of Wien,’ the guest in Martha’s video doesn’t tell us who invented the hot dog, but ‘Wikipedia is a good thing too.’

It looks like it’s complicated.

Hot dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

. . .

Around 1870, on Coney Island, German immigrant Charles Feltman began selling sausages in rolls.[9][10][11]

Others are credited with first serving hot dogs on rolls. A Bavarian immigrant named Feuchtwanger allegedly pioneered the practice in the American midwest; there are several versions of the story with varying details. According to one account, Antonoine Feuchtwanger's wife proposed the use of a bun in 1880: Feuchtwanger sold hot dogs on the streets of St. Louis, Missouri, United States, and provided gloves to his customers so that they could handle the sausages without burning their hands. Losing money when customers did not return the gloves, Feuchtwanger's wife suggested serving the food in a roll instead.[12] In another version, Anton Ludwig Feuchtwanger served sausages in rolls at the World's Fair–either the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago or the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St Louis[13]–again allegedly because the white gloves provided to customers to protect their hands were being kept as souvenirs.[14]

The association between hot dogs and baseball began as early as 1893 with Chris von der Ahe, a German immigrant who owned not only the St. Louis Browns, but also an amusement park.[15]

Another claim of inventing the hot dog is told by Harry M. Stevens, an American sports concessionaire whose vendors sold German sausages and rolls to spectators at the old New York Polo Grounds during the winter.[16] He called them "Dachshund sandwiches", but a New York Post cartoonist "couldn't spell dachshund, so when he drew the cartoon, he called them hot dogs."[17]

In 1916, a Polish American employee of Feltman's named Nathan Handwerker was encouraged by Eddie Cantor and Jimmy Durante, both working as waiters/musicians, to go into business in competition with his former employer.[18] Handwerker undercut Feltman's by charging five cents for a hot dog when his former employer was charging ten.[18]

At an earlier time in food regulation, when the hot dog was suspect, Handwerker made sure that men wearing surgeon's smocks were seen eating at Nathan's Famous to reassure potential customers.[14]

. . .

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”