Video games, anime, cosplay, nerd stuff

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
skyline339

Video games, anime, cosplay, nerd stuff

Post by skyline339 »

Lately I've been thinking about starting my own cosplay group here in Kelowna. Basically a place where people can come together and have fun talking, gaming, and of course making and having fun cosplaying. Is there any thing like this already or is there even enough interest to start a group like this?
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Video games, anime, cosplay, nerd stuff

Post by Pat-Taporter »

It seems from what I see on other forums there may be some interest here in the Okanagan.
I've scrubbed the link I provided here earlier because I found some of the posts contain personal information.

And Magic is huge!

Years ago I took one of my kids down to a tournament in the US. At the border, the guard asked him his reason for visiting the United States and he told him it was to attend the Magic tournament. The guard and he had a five-minute lively and in-depth conversation about the game, and in the end the guard wished him luck. Now my grownup goes all over the place on his own.

Also, a relative of mine travels 50 miles each way once a week to play Pokémon with her friends.

So I hope you do find some interest and can organise something here in the Okanagan. Maybe we’ll have some relatives come and stay at our place---yay!

For those here who don't understand what cosplay is, here's a Magic sample:

Cosplay at Gen Con 2013 Gathering Magic
Last edited by Pat-Taporter on Mar 29th, 2016, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

skyline339 wrote:Lately I've been thinking about starting my own cosplay group here in Kelowna. Basically a place where people can come together and have fun talking, gaming, and of course making and having fun cosplaying. Is there any thing like this already or is there even enough interest to start a group like this?

Did you attend KF/X?

Check out Munnin's Post on Bernard, there are regular gatherings of OKDnD and Tabletop gamers. I'm not sure if we have specifically cosplay group, but I know there is interest in town.

What do you cosplay? My son went as an Assassin's Creed character, my daughter was a scout from Attack on Titan. She made all her gear out of cardboard (next time she's trying EVA foam - then she'll scale up to warbla). Son bought his.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Heads up - there is a cosplay meet up happening at Munnin's Post (on Bernard) April 16th at 19:00 (7pm). There is a facebook event regarding it.
darkstarz

Post by darkstarz »

Hey I would love to meet a anime group. I've been searching around but couldn't find much any suggestions?
coolwaterwave

Post by coolwaterwave »

Been looking for something similar. From someone I knew in Victoria it seems groups in BC might be far more exclusive and difficult to integrate with? He basically told me 'no strangers.'
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There isn't a group that I know of that meets, you could make one?

https://www.meetup.com/cities/ca/bc/kelowna/

This is a neat way of connecting. The tabletop group is pretty active, I believe.

Kelowna Fan Expo will be coming up in March http://kelownafx.com/

There is another one that happens, but darned if I can remember the name of it.
darkstarz

Post by darkstarz »

Lady tehMa wrote:There isn't a group that I know of that meets, you could make one?

https://www.meetup.com/cities/ca/bc/kelowna/

This is a neat way of connecting. The tabletop group is pretty active, I believe.

Kelowna Fan Expo will be coming up in March http://kelownafx.com/

There is another one that happens, but darned if I can remember the name of it.

Hey, thanks for the information. I would be interested in starting a group in the near future. I couldn't do it all alone definitely need some help. I'm a little busy at the moment but I would mind bouncing some ideas around. If I did start a group like to make more then just a anime/cosplay group maybe add in video games and collectibles. Kelowna needs a fun nerdy meet up group. It's so hard to meet down to earth nerdy people in this town.

Danni
darkstarz

Post by darkstarz »

coolwaterwave wrote:Been looking for something similar. From someone I knew in Victoria it seems groups in BC might be far more exclusive and difficult to integrate with? He basically told me 'no strangers.'

Let me know if you'd like to shoot some ideas around about starting a group in kelowna.
Lilybean84

Post by Lilybean84 »

Hey! There's a cosplay page on FB. Okanagan Cosplay.

I'm hoping to run a con in Penticton next year as well! I welcome all ideas for geekery! Go search for 'the penti-con' !
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Red dead redemption sequel announced today!

The trailer should be out next week.

Love me some cowboy GTA
kdwade

Post by kdwade »

I'm starting a cosplay group in Kelowna if you want to learn more go to my insta @RussianRose_cosplaygroup

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”