It's only Rock'n Roll, but I Like It

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

It's only Rock'n Roll, but I Like It

Post by Glacier »

They say she was the most beautiful girl in Toronto in the 1960s, but Robin Williams said she was ugly on the inside.

Cathy Smith was the inspiration behind "Sundown" as well as "The Weight" by The Band. In the 1980s, while hanging out with Robin Williams, dealing heroin to the Keith Richards and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones, she was convicted of manslaughter in the death of John Belushi of the Blues Brothers after injecting him with a lethal dose of heroin and cocaine.

But before that in the 1960s Cathy Smith was hanging out with Ronnie and the Hawks before they morphed into "The Band." She became pregnant with what they termed "the band baby" since it was not entirely sure who the father was. "The Weight" was written in part about sharing the load or guilt.

Then she became Gordon Lightfoot's mistress for three years. He wrote "Sundown" at sundown as he was worrying about whether or not his mistress was out with someone else. No word on whether or not he detected any irony in his feelings.

And that's today's rock 'n roll history lesson.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: It's only Rock'n Roll, but I Like It

Post by JayByrd »

Fascinating. I never knew The Weight was about anyting in particular, I always took it as a Dylan-esque "stream of consciousness" thing.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”