When Music was MUSIC!

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
pepsilover
Übergod

When Music was MUSIC!

Post by pepsilover »

Don't know if there is already a 'music' thread in here, but thought I would start one anyways.

I met this guy at a Kelowna Club but had this album since I was about 18. Don't know if I still have it but this is one of the BEST albums I had ever had. Real good blues and banjo and soul. He's dead now I think.

To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: When Music was MUSIC!

Post by JayByrd »

Baldry passed about ten years ago.

Music is still music if you're willing to seek out the stuff you like. Most of those old blues guys who came out of the 50's and 60's have passed on, but there's still tons of great players out there.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

What kind of music do you like? I guess the intent of the thread isn't clear. People should post a link to a song they like. Yes, he passed away some time ago but was more 60's and 70's, at least where I was concerned. But yes he was around before that time.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

I also enjoy Muddy Waters (almost anything) and Mahalliah Jackson (pretty much everything).
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I have both kinds of music. Country, and western.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

pepsilover wrote:What kind of music do you like? I guess the intent of the thread isn't clear. People should post a link to a song they like. Yes, he passed away some time ago but was more 60's and 70's, at least where I was concerned. But yes he was around before that time.

I took the tone of your post to mean you were longing for the good ol' days. And you mentioned "he's dead now I think" so I clarified. I am minimally familiar with LJB's work, and I do remember in the later years of his life that he'd come through Kelowna every year or two. I didn't realize the industry heavyweights he hung with earlier in his career (Rod Stewart, Elton John), or that he was gay, until I sought out his bio after you started the thread. Interesting.

My own tastes run the gamut from classic rock and blues, to electronica and contemporary rock'n'roll. About the only stuff I've never touched is jazz, hip hop, and what is considered modern R&B.

I dig Muddy Waters but he passed before my time. I did get to see Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, and Solomon Burke at a festival in Calgary back in 2003 and that was a cool experience.

Head of the Herd is a band from Nanaimo who recently split up, to my great dismay. I felt they were on the verge of big things.

pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

JayByrd wrote:
I took the tone of your post to mean you were longing for the good ol' days. And you mentioned "he's dead now I think" so I clarified. I am minimally familiar with LJB's work, and I do remember in the later years of his life that he'd come through Kelowna every year or two. I didn't realize the industry heavyweights he hung with earlier in his career (Rod Stewart, Elton John), or that he was gay, until I sought out his bio after you started the thread. Interesting.

My own tastes run the gamut from classic rock and blues, to electronica and contemporary rock'n'roll. About the only stuff I've never touched is jazz, hip hop, and what is considered modern R&B.

I dig Muddy Waters but he passed before my time. I did get to see Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, and Solomon Burke at a festival in Calgary back in 2003 and that was a cool experience.

Head of the Herd is a band from Nanaimo who recently split up, to my great dismay. I felt they were on the verge of big things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vteGcu56j-s

Too bad that band split up, I'm listening to your link right now. They are pretty good. Why did they split up? Must be something personal because they have the talent, at least IMO. They almost sound like a cross between Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, and to me that is a PRIMO COMBINATION:) Although they would have a ways to go to hit the kind of original songs those two groups have.

You ever heard of Black Rebel Motorcyle Club?

My son put me onto them a few years back.

And yes, I was surprised to find out that LJB was gay, in those days there was no coming out not like nowadays.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

JayByrd wrote:Baldry passed about ten years ago.

Music is still music if you're willing to seek out the stuff you like. Most of those old blues guys who came out of the 50's and 60's have passed on, but there's still tons of great players out there.

Jonny Lang. Saw him on David Letterman (or Jay Leno) years ago when he was about 12 - lol - and said THAT one is gonna go places. Don't know if he really did, but he's still plugging away.

pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

I like that 'rockabilly' influence. I'm a sucker for a slide guitar; add harmonica and that's all she wrote:)
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Blind crippled and crazy.
Derek before Susan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZqjg- ... g-9gTg#t=0
Full concert

Mad Dogs and Englishmen full album redo

One of my favorite bands.
Takes me back to the past and grounds me today.
Susan Tedeschi and husband Derek Trucks along with their 11 member band.
I love this band, smooth vocals, lots of slide guitar and they just know what will happen next without looking at each other.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

That is one AWESOME slide guitar solo!! Really, really nice!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Once upon a time, the place to be for outrageously good blues was a Saturday afternoon jam at Mad Jack's Saloon

King_Eddy.jpg

King Edward Hotel
9 Ave and 4 St. Calgary

...anyone else remember the King Eddy's stained red carpet table tops?

:130:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

My first real blues club experience was at the Eddy, probably 15-20 years ago. I went with my Dad and we saw Sonny Rhodes. Prior to that, I'd seen some local blues players at the original Blue Gator but that was it. It was hard to believe such a place existed, and my Dad and his friend joked that "this place used to be a real dive". Good times.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Jazz and blues are the birthplace of all that is holy in music.

Anybody here like Zydeco?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Here's a friend of mine that I promoted here in 2007. :130:

http://www.jackdekeyzer.com/
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”