Worst radio songs

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
zzontar
Guru

Re: Worst radio songs

Post by zzontar »

Jonrox wrote:This is the voice of someone who forgets how much crappy music was put out in the 60's, 70's, and 80's and is only remembering the best artists of those eras. For every Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Beatles (or whoever you think was great) there were dozens of crappy acts putting out one hit wonders and terrible, forgettable music that charted for a week or two.

This argument is definitely one of my pet peeves. There are artists putting out good music right now, but there's also a ton of crap... just as there's always been.

The 60's and 70's had some of the best music ever written. All the great classic bands had their own distinguishable sound and they were all musicians. Then came disco and then techno and rap and before you knew it, most of the songs became a mish- mash of interchangeable electronically created beats and mindless lyrics, and if you're a rapper you can have no idea how to sing or play an instrument and still be considered a musician... to the dense.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Too much to list but if there's one thing i can point out of pure cheese is them old Country songs usually before the last chorus where they "talk" a few lines usually begging forgiveness for something.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

zzontar wrote:The 60's and 70's had some of the best music ever written. All the great classic bands had their own distinguishable sound and they were all musicians. Then came disco and then techno and rap and before you knew it, most of the songs became a mish- mash of interchangeable electronically created beats and mindless lyrics, and if you're a rapper you can have no idea how to sing or play an instrument and still be considered a musician... to the dense.

If you're smart enough to see that hip hop or EDM artists are not musicians, then why even mention it? Does your opinion on music only consist of disdain for others? Every generation says this about the one that comes after. There were people who thought the Rolling Stones were just a bunch of degenerates making noise. They're all dead now though. The people who said that I mean, not the Stones. Though a couple of them you could make an argument for...

Anyways, if you think that's what modern music consists of, and you're either lumping bands like the Black Keys or Foo Fighters in with that (or worse, overlooking them completely), then you're the one who missed out.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

JayByrd wrote:If you're smart enough to see that hip hop or EDM artists are not musicians, then why even mention it?

Because many people are dense enough to consider it music nowadays:

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/first-hip ... ll-of-fame

NEW YORK, NY -- The hip hop culture will be forever immortalized in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 12th. New York City’s own Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five will be the first rap group to be inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

zzontar wrote:
Because many people are dense enough to consider it music nowadays:

Oh I know, I'm one of them. Hip hop was never my thing but I do enjoy EDM. But if it's got a beat I consider it music, whether I enjoy it or not, and whether or not a Gibson Les Paul is involved in the recording. Heck...Phil Spector never played a note on any of the records he made, but no one would say he wasn't creating music.

And Grandmaster Flash has since been joined in the HOF by Public Enemy, NWA, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. I've never put much stock in things like this where an industry is paying tribute to itself though.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”