Texting/filming during concerts.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Texting/filming during concerts.

Post by JayByrd »

There's a video making the rounds of Slipknot singer Corey Taylor reaching out and slapping the phone out of the hands in someone in the front row of the band's concert. This person was texting (or doing something on his phone) and not watching the show. There have been a few similar incidents lately, and this got me thinking.

Now, I'm as annoyed as the next guy when I have to watch a concert through the phone screen of the guy in front of me. As a spectator, you have a right to be annoyed if someone around you is impacting your ability to enjoy the show. Within reason of course.

But as a performer, is acting this way really excusable? The talent gets paid. They have a job to do, and as much as they might sometimes think so, the evening is not about them. The audience bought a ticket. They can get excited or they can sit on their hands. They're even allowed to think the performance is poor and not be interested in it. Unless a spectator is impacting the performer's ability to perform, they can do what they want, I think. Imagine if the positions were reversed...is there any circumstance where it's acceptable for a fan to slap the microphone out of the singer's hands?

Now I'm not trying to start a debate on whether texting during a rock show is okay or not. It's lame in my opinion, but it's also nobody else's business. But do you think performers are justified in responding this way?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Texting/filming during concerts.

Post by TylerM4 »

I agree. It's simply arrogance displayed by the performer. "I'm insulted because you're looking at your phone instead of me". Sounds like a jealous girlfriend.

Unless - he's doing it because he knows it's blocking the view of other people. Then by all means - knock that trash away! Never did get why people do this anyway - the footage is always horrible.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

We recently attended a concert at the Queen E Theatre in Vancouver. The announcer politely asked everyone to mute their phones and put away all devices prior to the show, so that all could enjoy. He went on to say that it would be better to actually witness the show live and remember it that way, than to see what they were missing on a blurry jumpy screen later. Amazingly, I never saw one phone screen during the entire performance, and it was so much the better because of it.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Some people film the whole show. Which is wrong and disrespectful to the artist.An announcement at the beginning of the show to not record is all that is needed. texting is another story. That's someones own business. I was at a concert and the people behind me were talking the whole time. Thought that was pretty rude. At least texting is quiet.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Bands should just film their own concerts with steady footage, tell everyone they can download it from their website later so put away the phones, and that's the end of that problem.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

JayByrd wrote:The talent gets paid. They have a job to do, and as much as they might sometimes think so, the evening is not about them. The audience bought a ticket. They can get excited or they can sit on their hands. They're even allowed to think the performance is poor and not be interested in it. Unless a spectator is impacting the performer's ability to perform, they can do what they want, I think. Imagine if the positions were reversed...is there any circumstance where it's acceptable for a fan to slap the microphone out of the singer's hands?

So they're just paid, performing monkeys? Clapping seals?

The audience can think whatever they want about the performance, that's their right, but there used to be a certain etiquette which was understood among concert goers about attending a performance - even a rock concert. Artists should not be viewed as machines, mindlessly churning out another predictable performance or seen as circus clowns "getting paid to do a job" and hopefully we wouldn't want them to approach their craft that way, although sadly these days many do.

Honestly, if that's what happened at this concert I think it's regretful that the performer reacted this way - and yet I almost wish that we'd see more of it. People have become so classless, unappreciative, and uncouth at concerts these days that I don't even want to go anymore. Really, so many people have no idea how to behave at a concert, and cell phones are just the tip of the iceberg.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

zzontar wrote:Bands should just film their own concerts with steady footage, tell everyone they can download it from their website later so put away the phones, and that's the end of that problem.

Why do people take pictures of the same monument or landmark that has hundreds of very professional type pictures of the same thing available online? Its the same thing basically. Ego maybe?

But yeah would be a good idea. You went to the concert, you bought a ticket , here's your code to download the concert, professionally filmed, professional sound.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't care either way.
People do it to time stamp that time in their lives, inperfections and all just personalizes it.
Same as when i go to a concert i'm not perticularly looking for a studio performance. I prefer improvisation, don't mind the odd mess up etc.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My partner does this. It drives me nuts. Do you know many of the videos we have actually watched? Zero. I would rather experience the show firsthand and not through a lens.

I like Pearl Jam's model, they professionally record each show and for a small fee you can purchase a copy. It sounds a heck of a lot better too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

^^LOL. Nothing like looking for a performance from an artist on You Tube and having to skip past half a dozen horrible quality cell phone vids before you find something watchable.

For me, it would ruin the experience, being distracted with trying to capture something with my phone but what I really can't relate to is then posting that horrible quality video on You Tube. ARGH!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Music Law 101: Legal Issues Surrounding the Recording and Posting of Concerts
http://concertblogger.com/2012/08/legal ... -concerts/

Basically it comes down to what the band/promoter allows. Some bands have no problem with people filming - some don't allow it period.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

OREZ wrote:^^LOL. Nothing like looking for a performance from an artist on You Tube and having to skip past half a dozen horrible quality cell phone vids before you find something watchable.

For me, it would ruin the experience, being distracted with trying to capture something with my phone but what I really can't relate to is then posting that horrible quality video on You Tube. ARGH!

I don't mind it so much for smaller, up and coming bands. It helps to widen the amount of content and hear new material that you may have otherwise not have access to. Like when we use to pass mixtapes around. But I don't need a phone recording of a huge mega touring band. You can never do the show justice. Or a band like Tool that is as much an immersive multi media experience as it is a rock concert. I don't blame them for getting fed up.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

OREZ wrote:
So they're just paid, performing monkeys? Clapping seals?

The audience can think whatever they want about the performance, that's their right, but there used to be a certain etiquette which was understood among concert goers about attending a performance - even a rock concert. Artists should not be viewed as machines, mindlessly churning out another predictable performance or seen as circus clowns "getting paid to do a job" and hopefully we wouldn't want them to approach their craft that way, although sadly these days many do.

Well, you're taking this a step or two farther than it was intended. I never said the performers should be feeling-less automatons. But as professionals, they need to focus on their responsibility, and not trying to police the audience. They don't have to like what people are doing, but it's not their place to address it in that way either.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

OK. A couple things. Back before every cell phone had the ability to shoot really good video, I remember concert tickets having rules against cameras printed on the back as a disclaimer which basically would give security the right to take your camera away if you brought one out. Can't do that today because, well, we all know why.

Anyhoo, I have been guilty of taking some really crappy video at concerts thinking that I would for years take it out, dust it off and relive the moment. Never did. All erased. Really lousy sound.

Having copped to that, I am now of the opinion that if you are attending a show of any kind, be it sporting or music or (gasp) a play etc, leave your fuccckin phone in your car. Or purse or whatever.

I hate watching football or hockey or whatever and seeing people in seats that cost a shiiite load o dough paying more attention to their phones than whatever is taking place in front of them. Yes, it is their right but just because you can don't mean you should.

This meme is partially appropriate to this thread.

phone.JPG
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Just got back from Don Henley. It was posted all over the place and security guards reminded everyone to not text or take pictures or video throughout the show. I would say most people were respectful of this. It was made clear from the beginning . So Don allowed everyone to bring out their phones-cameras for the second to last song. Hotel California.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”