Sourdough bread

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Sourdough bread

Post by Merry »

Does anybody know of anywhere I can buy some sourdough bread made the "old fashioned" way using sourdough starter as opposed to yeast?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Sourdough bread

Post by just popping in »

Sourdough starter has yeast in it, doesn't it?
Why not make your own sourdough starter?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Merry wrote:Does anybody know of anywhere I can buy some sourdough bread made the "old fashioned" way using sourdough starter as opposed to yeast?

I think Cobs might . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

just popping in wrote:Sourdough starter has yeast in it, doesn't it?
Why not make your own sourdough starter?

Sourdough starters these days have yeast. The original starter used wild yeast and there's also an old school starter that uses potato water. Once you've got your starter you can make bread any time you want - just replace the starter used with equal amounts of flour and water.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

We used to make Sourdough starter chain letters and pass 1 cup along to a friend who would add to it, make a loaf and pass a cup of starter on to a friend.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I finally found a place where I can buy some bread made with sourdough starter (and no yeast).

I just bought a loaf of 100% Rye Bread made with sourdough culture, and both GMO and yeast free at Nature's Fare in Vernon. And it was very tasty.

The bread came from a bakery in Kelowna called Master Bakery (which, according to Facebook is on Gray Rd. in Rutland) so I'm going to give them a call and find out whether or not I can order a dozen loaves directly from them and then freeze them.

If not, I've also found out that Country Bakery in Armstrong (inside Askews store) would be willing to make some, provided it is a special order.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

just capture wild yeast. Here's how.
AlexMartinez

Post by AlexMartinez »

Ones I made my own challah and it was a totally disaster, but it makes me be interesting in learn more, may be you should take their advice
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

This is the video I originally watched and learned from.
It was quite easy.
I've only had one failure of the starter to start.
On day 5 you can start baking with your dough. Good luck.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”