Air BNB experience

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
W105
Guru

Re: Air BNB experience

Post by W105 »

I think this Air BNB sucks...

totally unfair to those who have to live around them (Jamapple's comment proves that)

totally unfair for the poor rental market (yes I know nobody has to become a full time landlord, but this town needs long term rentals badly)

and I agree with Bman...what about theft, bed bugs ?? the risks seem high..

if one wants to do this, then open up a proper Bed and Breakfast
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

westside105 wrote:I think this Air BNB sucks...

totally unfair to those who have to live around them (Jamapple's comment proves that)

totally unfair for the poor rental market (yes I know nobody has to become a full time landlord, but this town needs long term rentals badly)

and I agree with Bman...what about theft, bed bugs ?? the risks seem high..

if one wants to do this, then open up a proper Bed and Breakfast

To counter - I'd say in many cases it's no more intrusive on the neighbors than a standard rental. Yes, if it's a full house with a pools, etc - I could see a lot of partying by those vacationing in it. But for a single bedroom basement suite, likely no more disturbing that a regular set of tenants. Especially if the home owners live in the suite above.

Unfair to the rental market - No. This is not a social program. What it's not fair to is the hotel industry.

Theft and Bed bugs? I'd say there's no more risk than a hotel. This is what good cleaning, insurance, and deposits are for.

This is very similar to the UBER arguments. Most concerns are around lack of controls and enforcement. Is the residence safe, are proper cleaning processes being followed, is the suite secure, does the owner have a webcam in the washroom, etc. Those are the things you should be concerned about.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

My neighbor had one in basement. I personally didn't care but other neighbors did. They sent his ad to the city and they shut him down. This is a big problem in Vancouver.
If I lived in an apartment I wouldn't want different people coming and going. Then you are living in a hotel not an apartment.
Could you imagine buying a place then having partiers next door everyday. In your own basement suite would be different because you would be there to monitor.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

right you are TylerM4 !!! excellent counter point
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

My experience as a long term renter of a house in the Okanagan:
2 of my neighbours have AirBnBs. One rents out the entire house when he travels during the year. The other rents out a walk-out suite. Both have had some quiet respectful "guests". However, there have been parties that have gone on at all hours, sometimes lasting days in the yard and around the pool. Cars speeding up and down the road, people parking all over the place, garbage, loud music, screaming children, vacationing parents who simply don't care... It's a revolving door of strangers switching up every few days or weeks. If these neighbours were entertaining their friends or family members, I would be a bit more understanding. But they are making money from these "guests" and are often not even there to witness the noise and disruptions it brings to our normally quiet neighbourhood. Operating short term rentals is not legal here, but the majority of people do it anyway.

You no longer have the choice to decide if you want to live next to a BnB/hotel/motel/RV park anymore. It can simply be forced upon you by your neighbours.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yeah the whole idea seems very unfair to those who have to live around them...and of course if a neighbor reports anything to Bylaw or whomever, they instantly become the jerk ..(they don't want anyone making any money)

it's more like no, ignorant neighbor who cares little about your neighbors quiet, safe enjoyment...if you wanna rent out your place like a hotel room, (most likely not even reporting the income) it is YOU that is the jerk..

people just can't just sell and move nor find another rental that easily and nor should they have too..when a person buys or rents a home/apartment/condo which is extremely costly now, they shouldn't have to end up dealing with a "surprise" you're now living beside a hotel room...

this should not be allowed and stopped..and if you find yourself living next door to one, report it, call the CRA on the Owner and don't feel one tiny bit bad about it...
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

I have a listing on airbnb, one home (for when we travel)

- we never, ever, have issues with parties, noise, late night disturbances - because - we make it very clear in our listing terms that such behavior is not welcome and will result in negative feedback. Airbnb (like ebay) uses feedback allowing hosts to vet prospective guests. We refuse guests with zero or negative feedback all the time
- we have friends who work/live near us, and at the cost of some wine/beer they will come by and check on the property when we're away. They make themselves available to help our guests with questions/concerns. We advise our guests that the "premises will be monitored" (aka party deterrent)
- strict check-in/check-out times, as well as quiet times
- since the listing is already occupied, it don't affect the rental market. This is (likely) the case for most listings in Kelowna(apparently the city is reviewing this)
- re: bed bugs. Our listings are priced accordingly. Don't price your unit so low as to attract those kind of travellers
- re: theft. Price your listing accordingly and you reduce this risk. Theft/loss is just as high for guests as it is for hosts (also see below). People who use the 'theft' argument tend to forge this fact (or lack travel experience)
- personal belongings/valuables are locked and not accessible to guests. Everything else in the house is of modest value and easily replaceable (insurance, see below)
- re: damage. Price your listing accordingly and you will attract guests who care. Airbnb has an insurance policy (1 mil USD/listing/stay) that covers theft, damage, injury. More info here.I've never had to use it, but according to my research the claims process is extremely easy and hassle-free
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Just a heads up, bed bugs don't care much about your bank account.
Hotels,apts & condos high & low can have them, tour buses city can have them etc. you name it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

icanthearyou wrote:- we never, ever, have issues with parties, noise, late night disturbances - because - we make it very clear in our listing terms that such behavior is not welcome and will result in negative feedback. Airbnb (like ebay) uses feedback allowing hosts to vet prospective guests. We refuse guests with zero or negative feedback all the time
- we have friends who work/live near us, and at the cost of some wine/beer they will come by and check on the property when we're away. They make themselves available to help our guests with questions/concerns. We advise our guests that the "premises will be monitored" (aka party deterrent)
- strict check-in/check-out times, as well as quiet times
- since the listing is already occupied, it don't affect the rental market. This is (likely) the case for most listings in Kelowna(apparently the city is reviewing this)
- re: bed bugs. Our listings are priced accordingly. Don't price your unit so low as to attract those kind of travellers
- re: theft. Price your listing accordingly and you reduce this risk. Theft/loss is just as high for guests as it is for hosts (also see below). People who use the 'theft' argument tend to forge this fact (or lack travel experience)
- personal belongings/valuables are locked and not accessible to guests. Everything else in the house is of modest value and easily replaceable (insurance, see below)
- re: damage. Price your listing accordingly and you will attract guests who care. Airbnb has an insurance policy (1 mil USD/listing/stay) that covers theft, damage, injury. More info here.I've never had to use it, but according to my research the claims process is extremely easy and hassle-free

Thank you, this is great information. Seems to me that risk can be well managed through proper screening and using feedback tools.

It would be interesting what stratas have to say about it if anything at all. Our strata allows rentals but doesn't specify whether it is long term or short term. If I was to buy a condo specifically for AirBNB business, I'd have to check what bylaws strata has. I've noticed in Kelowna many many condo towers and apartment buildings are being advertised through AirBNB despite stratas "flipping out". Business license can be obtained at nominal cost. As far as collecting hotel tax it might be necessary if one is serious about running it as a business, I guess.

I've been playing with some numbers, and it seems to me that on yearly basis you can increase your rental income by at least 50% as opposed to renting it out to long term tenant but it does come with some hassle and hands on management (bookings, clean up, etc.).

Thank you, keep it coming!
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Post by OgopogoO »

Even Steven wrote:Does anyone have any experience of renting out their home/property through Air BNB?

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 17th, 2016, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Stayed in Airbnbs in 8 countries all over the world as well we host. No issues either way. Don't let the fear mongers deter you.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I don't think it is fear mongering. Air bnb is great but if a neighbor complains they will shut you down. You might end up buying a place specifically for air bnb then be screwed if a neighbor complains. It happened in my neighborhood so it happens.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

The only thing better for our neighborhoods that are already full of illegal suites, is more illegal suites with a revolving door of random renters.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

delSol97 wrote:The only thing better for our neighborhoods that are already full of illegal suites, is more illegal suites with a revolving door of random renters.

Well, most AirBNB places are not illegal suites but legitimate condos, apartments, and houses. Nothing illegal about them.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Even Steven wrote:Well, most AirBNB places are not illegal suites but legitimate condos, apartments, and houses. Nothing illegal about them.

Are they properly zoned and licensed for use as a short-term rental, and do they collect and remit the 2% city hospitality tax as well as GST and PST?

If no to any of the above, then they're illegal.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”