Shaw or Telus

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Shaw or Telus

Post by oneh2obabe »

Telus Internet 150/150 isn't available in all areas according to the agent I spoke with last week.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Shaw WideOpen Internet 150 promo ...

http://shop.shaw.ca/internetplans/?soci ... haw-bot-v4

Call Telus, ask for retention and say you're thinking of switching to Shaw - they'll usually match the deal or give you a better one. Doesn't hurt to try. If you have internet/cable, check out the promo from Shaw and see if Telus will match.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I find they're 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Husband switches back and forth on a regular basis.

Shaw seems to go down more often that Telus does.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That is what I too have noticed. I dumped Shaw because they upped prices by $4 annually Telus has a longer span between price hikes.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
D_Man
Fledgling

Post by D_Man »

Thank you for all the responses, I think I will go for it.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Shaw wants a signed 2 year contract with these new promotions. Screw that. Telus fiber optic will be available at the end of the month in my building. I cant wait to call Shaw and tell them why.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

oneh2obabe wrote:Shaw WideOpen Internet 150 promo ...

http://shop.shaw.ca/internetplans/?soci ... haw-bot-v4

Call Telus, ask for retention and say you're thinking of switching to Shaw - they'll usually match the deal or give you a better one. Doesn't hurt to try. If you have internet/cable, check out the promo from Shaw and see if Telus will match.

They want you to sign a 2 year contract for that deal.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

With Telus you get the special price for the 1st 6 months but you have to sign up for 2 years. I threatened to switch to Shaw and got $65/month for the 1st year for Internet + Satellite and $133/month for the 2nd year.

This is the promotion Telus is running right now ...

FREE 4K PVR and HD wireless digital box rental
You Pick 6 with Popular Sports theme pack (including TSN 4K), plus 5 more theme packs of your choice
Access to new 4K entertainment
FREE Wi-Fi modem rental for blazing-fast internet speeds

$50 per month for the first 6 months. Thereafter price is $130/mo.

kelownawriter
Fledgling

Post by kelownawriter »

Mm, I've got the same question on the mind. I've looked at their offerings at Shaw and realized that I am actually paying EXTRA for channels on a 'grandfathered plan' that are now included for $20 LESS on their new plans. I'm not thrilled. I called in today and got one heck of a run-around. The only thing I got was angry - but also a pdf summary of my channels, plus the channels available on their plans. Tonight I've got some serious compare and contrast to do and tomorrow I'm going back in again and either getting a much lower bill, or giving my notice.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

We have shaw and are considering switching to telus fiber optic TV and internet. Telus is $1 cheaper than shaw. There is no contract , and they are going to provide up to 6 wireless PVR's apparently at no charge. Sounds great. What's the catch ? I just did a speed test and am getting 16 mbps download speed on shaw. Telus promises 3-15 mbps. Anyone want to weigh in on what speed they are actualy getting from Telus 15 ? If it is 15 , I'm switching. If it is 3 , I'm sticking with shaw.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have heard a number of times that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, in other words you can negotiate a better deal if they believe they are about to lose your business. Is this true? If so, it kind of sucks in the aspect that it pretty much says that they will soak you for what they can get from you if you don't kick up a stink.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gordon_as wrote:We have shaw and are considering switching to telus fiber optic TV and internet. Telus is $1 cheaper than shaw. There is no contract , and they are going to provide up to 6 wireless PVR's apparently at no charge. Sounds great. What's the catch ? I just did a speed test and am getting 16 mbps download speed on shaw. Telus promises 3-15 mbps. Anyone want to weigh in on what speed they are actualy getting from Telus 15 ? If it is 15 , I'm switching. If it is 3 , I'm sticking with shaw.

I believe with Telus optic you need 25mps. That is what we have and it works well. You don't get 6 pvr's, you get one and the rest are receivers connected to that one and all can watch and see what the others have recorded. The one we presently have can only record and watch 3 HD programs live at one time so you need to be careful how many things are being recorded and watched at the same time. I don't know if the newer PVR's are capable of more but the new 4K ones are.

Overall we are happy with the service we get from Telus.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I've used Telus for the last couple of years and have had nothing but trouble with it. Equipment failures, bad connections that resulted in unwatchable tv etc. I'm giving them one more chance before switching back to Shaw.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

fluffy wrote:I have heard a number of times that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, in other words you can negotiate a better deal if they believe they are about to lose your business. Is this true? If so, it kind of sucks in the aspect that it pretty much says that they will soak you for what they can get from you if you don't kick up a stink.

Yup - true.

We were tired of being gouged, and Costco has a deal with Primus that was way better. So we switched. We got a call from Telus saying "We just got notice you'll be leaving us, can we talk?". Husband was on the phone for about half an hour. Explained the deal in full. He hangs up, and says "Well, I guess I'll phone Primus and cancel." because they matched the deal. Since we have 10 business days to opt out on any contract here in Canada, we used it.

Telus and Shaw are no different from each other. I find any differences are due to location. We have friends who are situated near a Shaw hub so their internet is faster than advertised. With us, in Rutland, we have no difference. So if they match the deal, why not?
I haven't failed until I quit.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

really ?? Lady...good for you guys !!..when I tried to do that with Shaw, they basically told me see ya..they told me that I already have been grandfathered in (have had Shaw for decades) with good prices..(not..still too pricey)

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”