Shaw or Telus

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
D_Man
Fledgling

Shaw or Telus

Post by D_Man »

I see that Telus has a promotion on right now, you get the first 6 months at $50 a month and then $130 (before taxes) after that.
I don't particularly want to be in 2 year contract, but even after the 6 months is up it is still $10 cheaper than I am paying Shaw right now.

My question is does any body have any experience with Telus, if so how is it, is it with switching?

This is TV and same speed Internet BTW
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Shaw or Telus

Post by WeatherWoman »

D_Man wrote:I see that Telus has a promotion on right now, you get the first 6 months at $50 a month and then $130 (before taxes) after that.
I don't particularly want to be in 2 year contract, but even after the 6 months is up it is still $10 cheaper than I am paying Shaw right now.

My question is does any body have any experience with Telus, if so how is it, is it with switching?

Call Shaw and tell them you are moving to telus as the bill is too high...they lowered our bill. We called telus to see if they could be beat it and they could only offer us the same so we stayed with Shaw.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

We have used Telus for years, after trying promotion packages by both Shaw and Bell.
Telus works for us!
We leak as rivers
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Shaw had a promotion - Internet 150 or Internet 150 + TV package.

Internet 150 - $49.90/mo for the 1st year (can't remember what the 2nd year was)
Internet + Popular TV package - $89.90/mo for the 1st year ($144.00/mo for the 2nd year)

Had the appointment booked with Shaw - 10 day cancellation window with no explanation. Called Telus to tell them to cancel my internet effective the last billing date. The agent asked why so I told him. He said he could meet or better that deal. Ended up with internet and cable for $65.00/mo for the 1st year and $133.00/mo for the 2nd year. I have a dish on the house so called back a couple of days later and asked if they could reinstall satellite. It's more expensive than cable but 2 agents told me I'd get the same deal - they had to do some fancy discounting but I got it. Bonus - more channels with satellite.

Telus - internet with them 10 years and no problems whatsoever.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

I just switched to Shaw from Telus. One thing to consider with Telus is the less customer service. Shaw you can turn your equipment in at the hunter road location. Telus they send you a box and tell you to take it to the post office. You have to hang on to your receipt for months just in case Telus claims you didn't return the equipment.

I did like the packages for Shaw better than Telus. For example TSN and Food network is available from shaw without having to order extra theme packs.

I do like some of Telus' free on demand choices better. So it really is a matter of preference.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

jetty1965 wrote:I just switched to Shaw from Telus. One thing to consider with Telus is the less customer service. Shaw you can turn your equipment in at the hunter road location. Telus they send you a box and tell you to take it to the post office. You have to hang on to your receipt for months just in case Telus claims you didn't return the equipment.

I did like the packages for Shaw better than Telus. For example TSN and Food network is available from shaw without having to order extra theme packs.

I do like some of Telus' free on demand choices better. So it really is a matter of preference.

Bonus on Channel 11 or early 300s HD:
Canadian University football or like this Saturday Okanagan Sun then in winter WHL
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

GordonH wrote:Canadian University football or like this Saturday Okanagan Sun then in winter WHL

Also available on AM CKNW 980
We leak as rivers
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I had billing problems with Shaw...will never go back.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Shaw is Canadian. Service is usually better and they are easier to contact. While it's a matter of personal preference, more people prefer Shaw remotes and channel layout , online guides and navigation, seeing them as more user friendly

Telus Cons
if you need internet /email service good chance you will be talking with an overseas call centre rep who does not understand English nuances very well. Prepare to repeat and explain your issue more than once . Prepare to be bounced around to next level of support. Prepare to be told that is not their problem

VERY AGGRESSIVE telemarketing to sell you up and get you to buy into promotions. Usually those making calls are in USA or elsewhere. Prepare for surprise . Beware, what marketer told you is not always what you get. You will pay the same or more for less than shaw
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Never had a problem when calling Telus or understanding the person who answered the line or called back. Always get a confirming e-mail spelling out exactly what I'm getting and the cost when changing/adding/deleting services.

As for Shaw, they do call and try to convince me it's in my best interest to switch. As for better customer service, they didn't rank that high in the last survey.

Complaints
Customer service complaints are frequent among Canadian cable, mobile and Internet users, and Shaw ranked second-to-last for customer satisfaction among five cable TV providers in Western Canada in a 2013 survey by J.D. Power and Associates. It ranked last for Internet providers.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have used Shaw, Bell, and Telus. My experience so far is that Telus is the best of the 3.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Rosemary1 wrote:
VERY AGGRESSIVE telemarketing to sell you up and get you to buy into promotions. Usually those making calls are in USA or elsewhere. Prepare for surprise . Beware, what marketer told you is not always what you get. You will pay the same or more for less than shaw

I had a Telus rep come to my door and he refused to leave after multiple times asking him. My husband had to come to the door and use some pretty harsh words to get him to leave. It was almost at the point of calling the police. I made a complaint to Telus and they never have come to the door again.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

My parents went from years and years of using Shaw over to Telus - same crap, different company - but they do seem to like Telus a bit more in regards to customer service.

We had Telus when we still had TV, we had one billing issue with them that never got resolved.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Was with telus internet, now with another provider. When I was with telus had no complaints.
TV I'm with shaw no major complaints
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

D_Man wrote:I see that Telus has a promotion on right now, you get the first 6 months at $50 a month and then $130 (before taxes) after that. I don't particularly want to be in 2 year contract, but even after the 6 months is up it is still $10 cheaper than I am paying Shaw right now. My question is does anybody have any experience with Telus, if so how is it, is it with switching?

Well gosh darn, I got a Telus promotion card delivered through our faithful Canada Post today, it says Optik TV You Pick 6 & Internet 150/150 on Telus PureFibre network. $67./month for 6 months regular $135./month (2 yr contract).

I am assuming that isn't the same as the $50. promotion you are talking about? Or they don't like our street?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”